Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Washington Post vs. Washington Redskins (Lets Get Ready to Rumble)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2004, 11:32 AM   #16
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44
For $69 dollars I would see them at least once.
Well, that's sorta the catch - Season tickets mean SEASON. Would you pay $690 per seat (you have to buy the exhibition games too) to sit behind a pillar? Would YOU sell them to somebody w/out making a full disclosure as to the obstruction? If you bought single game tickets, but weren't told the extent of the obstruction, would you be upset?

Sorry, I am a Skins fan to the bone, but, when it comes to this sort of thing, it's a money making thing for Snyder (anyone remember charging admission for training camp??) (It's a sad thing to know that by feeding my addiction through season tickets, I am only allowing Danny to screw me over more).

Maybe the Post bought up some seats on the sly, that does not have any bearing on the lack of full disclosure by the Skins FO. In fact, by the FO claiming innocence but then firing back on a relatively unrelated aspect of the deal, I am more inclined to Post.

Also, the Skins press guy is supposed to be, well, difficult. I have yet to read anything positive about Swanson.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #17
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44
For $69 dollars I would see them at least once.
Just a further thought (tried to edit the message but was over the time limit):

IMO, the Skin's FO response is a classic "redirection tactic" used by a guilty party: Someone makes an accusation against you, you offer a minimal explanation, then accuse the accuser (regardless of the accuracy of your charge) in order to shift the focus away from your own wrongdoing.

Swanson seems to be a slash and burn kind of guy and part of the reason so many press people like to hate on the Skins. He strikes me as very defensive about whatever the Skins do - Sorta like, "If Mr. Snyder said it, it must be right!"
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #18
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Joe Redskin ~ EXCELLENT, very well put and I agree with you in every word. This is how they handle most fans in the stadium. Get them in, get them paid, then forget them. I wrote letters, placed phone calls and talked to Redskin staff members about having the AMerican flag lit at night. They didn't care and never responded. I pointed out the fact this is a miltary town and it is by law they are required to light it. Even after September 11th they failed to reconize this fact. Finally I met the stadium operations guy in the parking lot and he took care of it the next game and even called me to get my opinion. But Skins administration just does not listen to the fans nor do they care. Money speaks and you know what walks. I still love the game and the actuall team but Captain Dan and his staff of white shirt business suits have totally failed in my opinion. Does Dan even wear anything that has a Redskin monikor on it? The only time I have seen him wear somthing was the Dallas game last year in the terrible wet cold weather. I shouted out to him on the field, thanking him for finally show team support and spirit and he turned and smiled. He is a Redskin fan but a shrewd business man who needs to rein in the troops a bit to show he does actually care about the game day experience for the fan.
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #19
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
Well, that's sorta the catch - Season tickets mean SEASON. Would you pay $690 per seat (you have to buy the exhibition games too) to sit behind a pillar? Would YOU sell them to somebody w/out making a full disclosure as to the obstruction? If you bought single game tickets, but weren't told the extent of the obstruction, would you be upset?
And then would you go buy yourself? So that would be 1380.00 plus $200.00 for parking the entire season. Avg youself for about $15.00 worth of food and drink and there is another $300.00 for 2 people. So total spent for the season including the exhibiton games is $1,880.00 and your view is majorly obstructed. Priceless??? Not!! Then the price goes up dramticlly if they make the playoffs which you wouldn't miss for the world.
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

As someone who has dealt, from a media perspective, with pretty much all the professional sports teams in the DC area, I always found the Redskins the most difficult to deal with. Personally I love them, professionally they were a constant pain in my ass.

In my opinion, that is a very strong and pointed response from the Redskins, especially the jab about the Post taking seats from the common fan. My quick reaction is shame on the Redskins. The Washington Post is a lapdog for the Redskins 12 months out of the year, to scared to ever say anything that might displease the King of the Hill sports team in this town, not to mention the psyche of Washington sports fans. So they toss out one negative story and the Redskins are so spoiled by the cushy treament they always get, that
they lash back like this? Never knew how lucky they were. Of course, shame on the Post for never having the guts to "dig in." If all you did was read The Washington Post for the past decade to get your Redskins coverage you'd have no idea how truly piss poor they've been.

But the Skins are out of line in this case. Yeah, I know, "but the Post should have done proper reporting," but that sort of thing will always happen, this way, that way. The Skins could/should have posted a much more constructive and less vindictive release, clarifying what really happened, but not taking a shot at the Post. It will be interesting to see how this affects future relations between the two. My guess is it will have little impact in the long run, they need each other.

"What's the difference between a 3-week-old puppy and a sportswriter? In 6 weeks, the puppy will stop whining"-Joe Gibbs

"There aren't any embarrassing questions -- only embarrassing answers."-Joe Gibbs

"Never believe in anything until it has been officially denied."-Joe Gibbs

"Remember, son, many a good story has been ruined by over-verification."-Joe Gibbs

"Harmony seldom makes a headline"-Joe Gibbs
Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #21
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

It seems to me that the Post article is your typical few people making a big stink when the majority of the people that bought these tickets are fine with it. A lot of people have a habit of only hearing what they want to hear, so when they were told about the obstructed view and that they could check the seats out, they didn't pay attention because they just wanted the lower level seats. Then when they actually saw them, they got pissed and bitched to the media. Boo hoo.

Even though it is a separate issue, it is complete BS that the Post has over 200 "non-corporate" seats. Actually, if anyone in the area listens to Elliot in the Morning on DC101, this morning he found out the name of the person all 228 of them are under and was trying to get a hold of them. Of course he didn't get an answer back. 152 lower bowl and 76 upper deck seats, all under one person's name (Chris something) who supposedly is not upper management like most people would assume. The limit for one person is supposed to be 6 seats. Sounds pretty sketchy to me...
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #22
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT3
Joe Redskin ~ EXCELLENT, very well put and I agree with you in every word. This is how they handle most fans in the stadium. Get them in, get them paid, then forget them. I wrote letters, placed phone calls and talked to Redskin staff members about having the AMerican flag lit at night. They didn't care and never responded. I pointed out the fact this is a miltary town and it is by law they are required to light it. Even after September 11th they failed to reconize this fact. Finally I met the stadium operations guy in the parking lot and he took care of it the next game and even called me to get my opinion.
The VP in charge of stadium operation usually stops by the tailgate I attend, and he's nice as can be. He's got a walkie-talkie on, though, and he cringes every time Snyder calls for him before games.