Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #46
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

I think Tom Cable is at least changing a little bit of the culture there. Also, the Raiders should have at least a decent pass D with Asomugha there and they have a potentially very good running game that's also pretty deep.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #47
DFI
Special Teams

they might be awful, and I hope they are but they did score more points than we did in their first outing, what does that make us? super awful?
'Russ Grimm would swallow his dip by halftime and throw up on somebody's shoes. Jeff Bostic and Mark May were fighting about who'd missed an assignment. And man did Riggo stink from his hangover. But we got it done.' Don Warren
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #48
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

On a side note, speaking of those party passes... I would be ALL over those if Fedex had those. I'm typically standing the entire game anyway and it would bring a GREAT sense of camaraderie with other fans AND allow fans to make it to the games much cheaper.

Now let me back on the subject...

Yes, it's preseason, and you have to take everything with a grain of salt. That being said, while there might be vanilla offenses and vanilla defenses, if you look bad executing that's something that is extremely problematic whether it's preseason or not and is going to carry over to the season.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #49
vallin21
The Starter

Its preaseason, so I didn't expect Dallas to take this game seriously. They wanted to get out healthy and score w/ their 1st team. They accomplished both (something we didn't do). On paper they're the least talented team in our Division, they're suspect in coverage and can't stop the run, but saying they're awful is a bit much considering we put up 0 against B-more.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #50
Valleyranchgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I agree GTripp. Dallas looked bad.

The Dallas offensive line is older and more injury prone than ours. Although TO is a nightmare to deal with, when they let him go they downgraded at WR. The secondary is a mess and the DL is nothing to write home about outside of Ratliff.

I think the Cowboys will win 6-8 games this year, fire Wade, and hire Shanahan.

Yep that sounds about right, possible 9 wins. Not having the body-catcher on the team is a downgrade because although Roy Williams has shown flashes of him being good he is not on the same level as TO. Cory Procter must go he is terrible. DL-DE needs depth bad.

By the way the skins played I guess the Ravens must be stacked with defensive talent.

Last edited by Valleyranchgirl; 08-15-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Valleyranchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #51
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I hate the cowgirls, but it's pre-season they are going to show you vanilla.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #52
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyranchgirl View Post
Yep that sounds about right, possible 9 wins. Not having the body-catcher on the team is a downgrade because although Roy Williams has shown flashes of him being good. Cory Procter must go he is terrible. DL-DE needs depth bad.

By the way the skins played I guess the Ravens must be stacked with defensive talent.
:confused:

And... eh?

Anyway, I'm not super upset about our backups getting beat by their backups. Our depth apparently isn't as good. Nothing ever tells the real story of preseason. Who knows what plays were trying to be run or what player was specifically being looked at?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #53
Valleyranchgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
:confused:

And... eh?

Anyway, I'm not super upset about our backups getting beat by their backups. Our depth apparently isn't as good. Nothing ever tells the real story of preseason. Who knows what plays were trying to be run or what player was specifically being looked at?
I edit that post.
Valleyranchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #54
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI View Post
they might be awful, and I hope they are but they did score more points than we did in their first outing, what does that make us? super awful?
DUDE........they played Oakland, which is about 3 guys away from being a college team. Baltimore is gonna be a great team this year, and they looked like it Thursday night. It is the preseason, so all the speculation is in fun at this point. I cant wait for the real games to start.

Ps. Somehow being reminded that Detroit was 4-0 last preseason made me feel alot better about our game.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #55
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Not to overvalue a single game performance in the preseason, but oh man these guys are bad. First team offense was completely shut down by the Raiders' secondary. Romo and Witten are still a nice passing tandem and Felix Jones was impressive, but the first team run defense was terrible (gave up long runs to McFadden and JaMarcus Russell), and their second teamers were torn up by the legendary Bruce Gradkowski-Louis Murphy passing tandem.

Wade Phillips blew a gasket a least three different times.

On the other hand, the Raiders are young and talented. If they had a quarterback somewhere on their roster, they could be a playoff contender...
I guess I watched a different game then.....the Dallas starting offense was not bad at all actually.

They only played the 1st quarter and the starting offense only played for two possessions in that first quarter. The first possesion resulted in a punt.

The second possesion resutled in a 72 yard TD drive by the Dallas starting unit. The Cowboys moved the ball at will on that drive. They did not even have a single third down to convert, moving the chains on first and second down for the entire drive. Barber, Jones and Choice all had double digit runs on that drive. Romo was 6 for 7 with a TD.

After that TD drive, the starters were done for the evening.

However, the RAIDERS starting offensive and defensive lines played into the 3rd quarter against the Dallas second and third units.

Admittedly, depth is a serious concern on the Dallas O-line and defensive secondary. Because the starting CB's for Dallas did not even suit up for the game.

But as I reviewed the team stats at the end of week 1 of the pre season I notice that the Baltimore Ravens lead the NFL in Passing Offense and total offense.

I also noticed that 2 of 3 Dallas QB's had a higher completion percentage then JC.

But it is just preseason, a time for trying out the bottom of an 80 man roster. Most teams that end up in the Super Bowl at the end of the year have had horrible pre-season records and stats.

So for Dallas and Washington, this means nothing.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
I guess I watched a different game then.....the Dallas starting offense was not bad at all actually.

They only played the 1st quarter and the starting offense only played for two possessions in that first quarter. The first possesion resulted in a punt.

The second possesion resutled in a 72 yard TD drive by the Dallas starting unit. The Cowboys moved the ball at will on that drive. They did not even have a single third down to convert, moving the chains on first and second down for the entire drive. Barber, Jones and Choice all had double digit runs on that drive. Romo was 6 for 7 with a TD.

After that TD drive, the starters were done for the evening.

However, the RAIDERS starting offensive and defensive lines played into the 3rd quarter against the Dallas second and third units.

Admittedly, depth is a serious concern on the Dallas O-line and defensive secondary. Because the starting CB's for Dallas did not even suit up for the game.

But as I reviewed the team stats at the end of week 1 of the pre season I notice that the Baltimore Ravens lead the NFL in Passing Offense and total offense.

I also noticed that 2 of 3 Dallas QB's had a higher completion percentage then JC.

But it is just preseason, a time for trying out the bottom of an 80 man roster. Most teams that end up in the Super Bowl at the end of the year have had horrible pre-season records and stats.

So for Dallas and Washington, this means nothing.
I agree overall, but one thing I would say, is that Oakland took their top CB( their shutdown corner) out after the 1st Dallas drive where Dallas went 3 and out. On the second drive, that scored, every meaningful reception was against his backup. Also, Dallas had been "scolded" by their coach WP ahead of the game, and they still came out and just looked overwhelmed on the first series. I was not very impressed, but it's only preseason.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #57
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

i don't understand why Dallas got rid of their d-line depth. Were they too expensive?
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #58
firstdown
Living Legend

After our performance I have a hard time calling any team Awful then to start talking down their D after ours gave up over 500 yards is even harder.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #59
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
i don't understand why Dallas got rid of their d-line depth. Were they too expensive?
I would say the biggest loss was Chris Canty who went on to get a 50m contract from the G-men.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty while they are trying to negotiate the contract extension for DeMarcus Ware.

They signed Igor Olashansky in the off-season. They see him as a "cheaper" version of Canty, and they signed him for much less than Canty was looking for.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #60
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This has nothing to do with this thread but...did you know Michael Irvin is going to be on Dancing with the Stars? (no, I don't really care either)...so is Joanna Krupa so that could be interesting.