In practice and in the preseason? LOL.
Dont tell that to Fred Davis
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #33
roth74va
Special Teams

Re: Betts to be the 3rd Down Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
but....Rock needs to go. I don't care how much of a leader he is. They have a whole team full of leaders, JC, Portis, Samuals, Moss, ARE, Smoot, Hall, Haynesworth, DT Daniels, Fletcher and a few more I'm sure I'm missing. Rock sucks as a RB running around in the back field like a chicken with it's head cut off, one step forward and two steps back. All his yards usually appear on one run. After like 10 horrible runs he breaks one for like 40 yrds. Basically all he is, is a KR. Everyone is talking about other players on the team who they feel should be cut because they are one dimensional....hello...so is Rock.

I guess I have to pray someone else steps up and shows they can PR/KR as good or close to as good or Rock will be here. I can only hope Alridge or Dorsey step up their game.
First Im not sure whats behind your whole obsession with Rock, I guess you micro-analyzed all of his 5 carries last season and came to this conclusion. This guy plays the game the right way, and busts his tail on special teams. He isnt productive running the ball because he gets the carries of a #3 back, but he plays on almost all the teams units. Alridge and Dorsey arent gonna hit anyone, Alridge cant tackle a sprained toe. If anything replace Betts, but Alridge or Dorsey arent gonna unseat Rock.....ever!!!
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
I have the same issue as you

I am a WV fan and I really wanted to get slaton. And to have drafted those three offensive players when a portis clone is coming out in the draft makes me wonder. Yes hind sight is 20/20 and I realize people werent as high on Slaton when he came out, but having watched him his whole career. I saw a mini CP in Slaton. Anway I was just voicing an opinion.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #35
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I am a WV fan and I really wanted to get slaton. And to have drafted those three offensive players when a portis clone is coming out in the draft makes me wonder. Yes hind sight is 20/20 and I realize people werent as high on Slaton when he came out, but having watched him his whole career. I saw a mini CP in Slaton. Anway I was just voicing an opinion.
I retrospect I, too, would love to have Slaton. But that is retrospect. Every team passed on him until the 3rd round.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #36
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

CP will argue it will take more effort to hustle off the field and then back on if they convert
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #37
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think Betts is fine. I always find it kind of interesting that he was drafted just a couple of picks after Portis yet you'd think one was the 1st round stud and the other was the 7th round div 2 guy who toiled on the practice squad for a couple of years before earning his shot.

But I don't think Betts is a potential game changer the way Portis is, and I think we-sooner than later-need to look at finding our next starting running back
Indeed.. we need an early pick RB soon
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Portis and Betts fumble the ball at the worst times. Everyone fumbles. I say let my homeboy Mike Sellers run the ball strait up the middle behind that new FB we just drafted.
so your solution is to put sellers in, because portis and betts fumble at the worst times?

heh
Old 08-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
First Im not sure whats behind your whole obsession with Rock, I guess you micro-analyzed all of his 5 carries last season and came to this conclusion. This guy plays the game the right way, and busts his tail on special teams. He isnt productive running the ball because he gets the carries of a #3 back, but he plays on almost all the teams units. Alridge and Dorsey arent gonna hit anyone, Alridge cant tackle a sprained toe. If anything replace Betts, but Alridge or Dorsey arent gonna unseat Rock.....ever!!!

Wow, where have you been? Rock has been here for 7 yrs. Drafted in 2002. Played under Spurier. Sucked and has been the 3rd string every yr. Utilized mostly (only) as a KR. You say he plays on all the teams units? His only roll is special teams. He KR's. That's it. Oh wait he does participate when we kick off also. So he can tackle. He would be better used as a Safety then.

You do realize Betts did the KR/PR duties prior to Rock which means technicaly Rock is expendable.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #40
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Also roth74va, Alridge and Dorseys duties would be to avoid getting hit. See I specifically said Betts or Mason could help out with the between the tackles line up and hit someone type of runs. Alridge and Dorsey would be used to get to the outside or catch passes out of the back field. Better yet put both Portis and one of the speed guys in the back field to keep the defenses guessing whether Portis would be running up the middle or tossed/ passed to one of the speed guys. In other words play action.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #41
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Let me see if I got this right. .....

There is a store with 3 cashiers and one register. The #1 cashier is awsome, she rings everything up right, bags everything, no complaints from the customers. Screws up only once in a blue moon. Then you have cashier #2 who is not as fast as cashier #1 but she gets the job done. She may ring something up wrong once a day but she is good, polite, and works hard. Then you have cashier #3 who can't seem to work the register right. Constantly comes up $40 short or $40 over at the end of the day. When bagging food tends to break stuff. but, she can work the Virginia Lottery Machine like no other cashier.

I should get off her back cause she atleast does one thing right.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #42
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Let me see if I got this right. .....

There is a store with 3 cashiers and one register. The #1 cashier is awsome, she rings everything up right, bags everything, no complaints from the customers. Screws up only once in a blue moon. Then you have cashier #2 who is not as fast as cashier #1 but she gets the job done. She may ring something up wrong once a day but she is good, polite, and works hard. Then you have cashier #3 who can't seem to work the register right. Constantly comes up $40 short or $40 over at the end of the day. When bagging food tends to break stuff. but, she can work the Virginia Lottery Machine like no other cashier.

I should get off her back cause she atleast does one thing right.
had a good time playing this out in my mind lol
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #43
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Wow, where have you been?
Ive been right here, appreciating an outstanding effort, this guy has proved everyone wrong. Rock is the real deal.....your clearly just a hater.

Quote:
You do realize Betts did the KR/PR duties prior to Rock which means technicaly Rock is expendable.
Nope Betts isnt tackling anyone either, no wait he had his first/only tackle last season. Betts didnt do punts, his kickoffs werent good either('07 avg was 21.6/Rock '08 avg was 25.6). You need someone on your team who isnt afraid to tackle, and doesnt get hurt in doing so. You just cant have all "finesse" players on your team that cant or wont play special teams. And special teams includes the guys covering kickoffs/punts as well FYI, so that contribution is kinda important IMO.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #44
Pocket$ $traight

I think it is fine to use Betts as a 3rd down back in most situations but Portis needs to be in on goaline as well as plays such as 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.

He is the money back. Let him earn the $.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
so your solution is to put sellers in, because portis and betts fumble at the worst times?

heh
Meanwhile didn't Sellers' goal line fumble against the Bengals last year cost us the game?