ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #511
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: ALEX SMITH and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This is a big plus for sure. Smith should do the right thing and post june 1st announce retirement.

Its sucks for him, but he is done.
I agree and he probably would do that

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #512
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
This is a big plus for sure. Smith should do the right thing and post june 1st announce retirement.

Definitely helps the team out if Smith needs to retire.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #513
MTK
\m/

Even with this latest news any predictions about his career being over are premature.

And this talk of him helping out the team with the cap is hilarious to me. Sure he may be a good guy but why would he give up money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #514
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Even with this latest news any predictions about his career being over are premature.

And this talk of him helping out the team with the cap is hilarious to me. Sure he may be a good guy but why would he give up money?

yeah, in football terms he was on the Skins for a day or two. And fans had already been throwing him under the bus. But yeah to be a good guy he has to forego his money or retire after June for the team's sake. If he's done, he's done, and he doesn't owe the Skins anything, heck if we had waited till he hit the open market he probably would have made even more money, just because time would have passed, and he would have been the backup in KC this year.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #515
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:

But he's such a good guy! LOL

In this day and age NFL teams are employers while NFL players are the employees. This situation is the whole reason contracts are such a big deal in the first place. A. Smith is a cool guy sure, but there's no way in hell he shrugs off 10's of millions of dollars because it would help out the ownership.

Especially when that owner is Dan Snyder. We all know damn well that if there was ANY loophole in Smith's contract where the team could get out of paying him, they would take it. Why give such a cut-throat business any type of forgiveness?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #516
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:

Premature, yes. Beyond reason to discuss, absolutely not. Especially in the wake of a $12M insurance policy taken out on Smith's contract. That's pretty interesting news to me. It's something never considered whenever we hear about these mega contracts being passed out in the NFL. It lessens the blow, somewhat, if Smith does indeed retire.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #517
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I need Alex to do the right thing, gift the money back to Dan Snyder and Bruce...petition the NFLPA to an emergency vote to give the Redskins back their Cap Space...then Alex Smith needs to admit to being the girl in the Kareem Hunt video, admit to saying very bad things and it was his fault Kareem went kray - at the sametime Redskins sign Hunt to the team...Alex then needs to lead an exorcism at FedEx thus lifting the curse off the field and the FO ensuring years of domination.....Alex is a good guy, he needs just to go ahead and do all of this shortly.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #518
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
But he's such a good guy! LOL

In this day and age NFL teams are employers while NFL players are the employees. This situation is the whole reason contracts are such a big deal in the first place. A. Smith is a cool guy sure, but there's no way in hell he shrugs off 10's of millions of dollars because it would help out the ownership.

Especially when that owner is Dan Snyder. We all know damn well that if there was ANY loophole in Smith's contract where the team could get out of paying him, they would take it. Why give such a cut-throat business any type of forgiveness?
Name an instance where DS has screwed a skins player with a loophole?
I am not saying he hasn't, but he has always been a player's owner - from being at the bedside of RGIII after surgery to flying the team down for ST's funeral, and many other examples.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #519
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
I need Alex to do the right thing, gift the money back to Dan Snyder and Bruce...petition the NFLPA to an emergency vote to give the Redskins back their Cap Space...then Alex Smith needs to admit to being the girl in the Kareem Hunt video, admit to saying very bad things and it was his fault Kareem went kray - at the sametime Redskins sign Hunt to the team...Alex then needs to lead an exorcism at FedEx thus lifting the curse off the field and the FO ensuring years of domination.....Alex is a good guy, he needs just to go ahead and do all of this shortly.
I'd just be happy keeping my promotional cost on my cable and internet.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #520
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Name an instance where DS has screwed a skins player with a loophole?
I am not saying he hasn't, but he has always been a player's owner - from being at the bedside of RGIII after surgery to flying the team down for ST's funeral, and many other examples.
I can't really say I have any proof of how Dan runs things within his own office. I'm also not saying he has "screwed Skins players with a loophole."

The point I was trying to convey is the fact that NFL teams treat players as a commodity. They trade/release/sign players at their own free will with little regard to how that will effect a players life. Example: K. Fuller found out he was going to the Chiefs via ESPN.

I can only assume the players have seen these instances at a more up-close level and thus don't feel the need to honor any owners "best wishes."

How many times have you heard players, coaches and GM's alike say, "At the end of the day it's a business..."

So, in terms of business, Smith is going to accept every penny that the Redskins agreed to pay him, as he should. And, as a business, the Redskins are NOT going to pay him more than they said they would, because why would they?

Smith is a nice guy, yes. But business is business.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #521
MTK
\m/

I'm sure Snyder will do anything he can to help Smith and his family right now, but that's a separate thing from the business side of things with the contract.

If the team could get out from under it right now they sure as hell would. Smith doesn't have to be a "nice guy" and concede anything. He's got a contract with significant guarantees for injury. Good for him, this situation is exactly why his agent pushed for that part of the deal.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #522
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
I can't really say I have any proof of how Dan runs things within his own office. I'm also not saying he has "screwed Skins players with a loophole."

The point I was trying to convey is the fact that NFL teams treat players as a commodity. They trade/release/sign players at their own free will with little regard to how that will effect a players life. Example: K. Fuller found out he was going to the Chiefs via ESPN.

I can only assume the players have seen these instances at a more up-close level and thus don't feel the need to honor any owners "best wishes."

How many times have you heard players, coaches and GM's alike say, "At the end of the day it's a business..."

So, in terms of business, Smith is going to accept every penny that the Redskins agreed to pay him, as he should. And, as a business, the Redskins are NOT going to pay him more than they said they would, because why would they?

Smith is a nice guy, yes. But business is business.
I agree with all this. You just added the "Specifically when it's Dan Snyder" that threw me.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #523
Irrefutable
The Starter

renegotiate the contract.....2019 $10 million, then $3 million for the next 15 years
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #524
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I agree with all this. You just added the "Specifically when it's Dan Snyder" that threw me.
Makes sense. I probably could have said the same thing and left Snyder out of it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #525
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:

Nothing good about this. People can die from post surgical complications, and definitely with infections. I know that's not what you were getting at, but this whole thing sucks way beyond W/Ls & Salary Cap.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote