What happens with Kyle Smith?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #61
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That was your takeaway from this article?

I kinda agree with it, it sounds like Ron is saying this is a collaborative process that's bigger than just one man (which is how it should be).

Smith makes the list, Ron and his staff go over it and figure out who's the best fit and they work from there.

Only way I see Smith leaving is if he's beefing with Ron about who to go after. It could happen, sure, but we wouldn't know about it until Smith is out the door.

For now I choose to trust Ron and the path he leads us in.
I think Kyle leaves if Ron hires a new GM. Let's see if fans have faith in Ron if they step back next year, lose Kyle etc. It's Washington with Snyder, it's always something that screws up.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #62
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
I think Kyle leaves if Ron hires a new GM. Let's see if fans have faith in Ron if they step back next year, lose Kyle etc. It's Washington with Snyder, it's always something that screws up.
That's a given.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #63
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
That's a given.
This is all just talk of course. But I think It's going to be somebody from his past (Carolina maybe). Will will revisit this issue on why Kyle left, and blaming Ron. Remember this thread.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #64
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Great podcast, GM talk at around the 20 minute mark, Rivera should trust Smith and quit fucking around. Talent evaluators like Smith don’t grow on trees, just ask Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville, the Jets, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7vJ5dyPqzE6BkOs17SVLxG

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:29 AM   #65
Warthog
The Starter

What happens with Kyle Smith?

I hope Rivera doesn’t let Kyle Smith go. It is AMAZING the talent that Kyle has pulled out of the dregs of the draft and UDFA. Most teams are VERY HAPPY to get one or two special team’s guy(s) out of a year’s UDFA and draft picks below the fifth round. Smith is finding very good, STARTING players, some in their ROOKIE YEAR, from those same low spots. McLaurin was a third round pick and he’s a team superstar.

The Snyder era has seen the owner and his untalented GM’s (Allen & Cerrato) make one bone-headed personnel decision after another. The team has drafted players with their top picks and these guys didn’t even make it out of training camp THAT YEAR. The team traded away really high draft picks for FA they could have got for nothing.

We haven’t had such a outstanding judge of talent since Bobby Bethards of the Gibb’s era, over 30 years ago!! If Rivera doesn’t make Smith the GM, Kyle will be offered such a position for a lot of money by another team!! And he’s worth it! Make him the GM and watch this team grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #66
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Great podcast, GM talk at around the 20 minute mark, Rivera should trust Smith and quit fucking around. Talent evaluators like Smith don’t grow on trees, just ask Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville, the Jets, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7vJ5dyPqzE6BkOs17SVLxG
I'm a big Kyle Smith fan too, he's the best FO talent evaluator we've had in a while.

But the reality is, if Rivera doesn't know him well enough yet or hasn't developed trust with him, it's a hard sell to keep him if GM gets addressed next year. Keim mentioned Smith doesn't have the history with Rivera that others have, and I think that's a big driving factor. It's not to say that trust can't be developed, but it sounds like Ron isn't ready to hand him the GM job yet. Keim also mentioned a scenario where Ron hires a GM (probably someone he knows intimately) and Smith stays on in his current role to keep learning. With the way the league is I wouldn't be surprised if Smith gets a GM offer from somebody else, and if that happens we need to be prepared to let him advance his career elsewhere.

The #1 key thing you have to have is a partnership and trust between the GM and HC. That's why Carroll/Schneider are successful, yes Carroll probably has final say over Schneider but a coach/GM partnership will never work if the trust isn't there.

I think best case scenario Ron hires a GM and Kyle Smith stays on in his current role. Worst case? Kyle leaves. But the more we hear about this the more I think Ron isn't ready to have Kyle as his partner yet. (It could happen someday but I think Ron needs to see more).
Old 12-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #67
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm a big Kyle Smith fan too, he's the best FO talent evaluator we've had in a while.

But the reality is, if Rivera doesn't know him well enough yet or hasn't developed trust with him, it's a hard sell to keep him if GM gets addressed next year. Keim mentioned Smith doesn't have the history with Rivera that others have, and I think that's a big driving factor. It's not to say that trust can't be developed, but it sounds like Ron isn't ready to hand him the GM job yet. Keim also mentioned a scenario where Ron hires a GM (probably someone he knows intimately) and Smith stays on in his current role to keep learning. With the way the league is I wouldn't be surprised if Smith gets a GM offer from somebody else, and if that happens we need to be prepared to let him advance his career elsewhere.

The #1 key thing you have to have is a partnership and trust between the GM and HC. That's why Carroll/Schneider are successful, yes Carroll probably has final say over Schneider but a coach/GM partnership will never work if the trust isn't there.

I think best case scenario Ron hires a GM and Kyle Smith stays on in his current role. Worst case? Kyle leaves. But the more we hear about this the more I think Ron isn't ready to have Kyle as his partner yet. (It could happen someday but I think Ron needs to see more).
Kyle grew up with a GM father and knows the in’s and out’s of being a GM. My point is I know there are many smart NFL people out there. In my opinion from what I’ve seen, Kyle is probably the smartest and one of the youngest talent evaluators, why give him away when you already have him. If Ron can’t see Kyle’s work, then I have a problem with Ron and this would be the only time that I wouldn’t mind little Danny stepping in. Kyle has a keen eye that I don’t see others have.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #68
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Panthers fired their GM. What are the chances Rivera brings him in?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #69
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

It's possible.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Yuck...give me Rick Smith or Kyle Smith

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #71
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Are you referring to future Football Team GM Marty Hurney?

Because the more I read the more I think it's inevitable Ron brings in a guy he's known for a long time.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #72
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Are you referring to future Football Team GM Marty Hurney?

Because the more I read the more I think it's inevitable Ron brings in a guy he's known for a long time.
I think you are right.

The lack of commitment to Smith when RR speaks of him with his close relationship and history with Gurney points to Gurney being hired over Smith.

Keim interviewed the ESPN carolina reporter about Hurney. Goes in depth on his ability as GM and his ties with RR:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aH...IzNWY3NTYxZDA1

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 12-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #73
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I think you are right.

Combining the lack of commitment to Smith when RR speaks of him with his close relationship and history with Gurney, indicates we're headed that way.

Keim interviewed the ESPN carolina reporter about Hurney. Goes in depth on his ability as GM and his ties with RR:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aH...IzNWY3NTYxZDA1
I heard the podcast the other day. Kyle Smith has done in 3 years of drafting what Hurney has in 14 years, enough said. If Rivera wants to be stupid and lose Smith, let him. Anyone can see what Smith has done in a short amount of time.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #74
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

I believe the issue isn’t Smith’s drafting or talent evaluation, it’s his inexperience with the rest of the duties of the GM position.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #75
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
I believe the issue isn’t Smith’s drafting or talent evaluation, it’s his inexperience with the rest of the duties of the GM position.
I’m sure he’s learned quite a bit from his GM father over the years.

Purveyor of fine Filth