Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #61
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Willis picks Seahawks over SKINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Yeah I see you're point. It's damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

Questions for you then... why have we been so hesitant to shore up positions of need? Daniels/Wynn for LDE? Crowell on another short term deal for LB? I mean, if the FO knows we're unlikely to have any more gems fall into our lap why aren't we being proactive now before we continue to see opportunities taken away (like Willis even though I realize he was far from a lock to start at RT)... you get my drift.
They didn't want to overpay for Willis, and I can't blame them for that, but now it's clear we needed him more than he needed us.

We have no reason to rush and spend for anyone else, I guess, because the talent is simply not there. LE is easy. That's the easiest position on the field in the Blache scheme, plus we have two system familiar guys on the FA market with no competition for either. On top of all of that, the market is flooded with guys who would do the same thing for less than a million dollars in this defense. So we could wait until (not Cato) June if we wanted to to get our starting LE.

The way I see it, there are no oppertunities to get taken away. I personally would bring Crowell in for a visit asap, but I'm not fooling anyone when I point out that we simply aren't interested in him.

We're adding a linebacker and an offensive lineman with our first two picks, whenever they may be. That's really obvious at this point. It's also obvious that Vinny is going to try his darnest to trade back, but that's going to be done before draft day, if at all, I think.

And, unfortunately, I don't see us being very deep at all on either side of the ball next year. I don't like our roster very much the way it stands right now, although we're probably a lock for 8 wins as long as Campbell and Haynesworth are a lock for 16 games.

With our star power, we should be the favorites in the division, but I just can't make the case that we are right now.

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #62
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

dudes for real, there is no way we get suggs, I hate to break it to all the "hopers" out there. But for real, i'd rather go with a rookie...like ray mauluaga if we were really interested in a linebacker. no sense in anymore FA in my opinion. we are about as good as we can get right now through FA. Hopefully we can build off the draft now
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #63
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
They didn't want to overpay for Willis, and I can't blame them for that, but now it's clear we needed him more than he needed us.

We have no reason to rush and spend for anyone else, I guess, because the talent is simply not there. LE is easy. That's the easiest position on the field in the Blache scheme, plus we have two system familiar guys on the FA market with no competition for either. On top of all of that, the market is flooded with guys who would do the same thing for less than a million dollars in this defense. So we could wait until (not Cato) June if we wanted to to get our starting LE.

The way I see it, there are no oppertunities to get taken away. I personally would bring Crowell in for a visit asap, but I'm not fooling anyone when I point out that we simply aren't interested in him.

We're adding a linebacker and an offensive lineman with our first two picks, whenever they may be. That's really obvious at this point. It's also obvious that Vinny is going to try his darnest to trade back, but that's going to be done before draft day, if at all, I think.

And, unfortunately, I don't see us being very deep at all on either side of the ball next year. I don't like our roster very much the way it stands right now, although we're probably a lock for 8 wins as long as Campbell and Haynesworth are a lock for 16 games.

With our star power, we should be the favorites in the division, but I just can't make the case that we are right now.
Nice post... everything here makes sense but I don't get the draft day comment. Won't trade-back scenarios evolve as the perennial draft order shake-ups occur?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #64
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Nice post... everything here makes sense but I don't get the draft day comment. Won't trade-back scenarios evolve as the perennial draft order shake-ups occur?
It's the same assumption I made above. The draft analysts are VASTLY overvaluing the quarterback class because...well...it's what they do. Teams are smarter than that (well, at least the ones that don't get their scouting info from the nat'l media, which excludes the Raiders and Bengals).

Basically, any player that could potentially create value by slipping to us at No. 13 would be a player that we would take with the pick. That's pretty much the tackles, Crabtree, Orakpo, or Curry. We'd take all of those guys even with trade offers on the table.

So we might be able to make something before the first player gets taken, which would be the risk-averse move, and would keep us out of the following situation:

1. Curry
2. Monroe
3. Orakpo
4. Smith
5. Jenkins
6. Raji
7. Crabtree
8. Oher
9. Smith
10. Sanchez
11. Lauranitis
12. V. Davis
13. ?

Because that pick is either Cushing, Mack, or Maualuga, and as good a player as I think Rey can be, that's not a good situation for us to make that call over two more immediate impact players.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 AM   #65
GTripp0012
Living Legend

We could also take Tyson Jackson with the 13th pick and expect him to be a 7-sack rookie, in which case, it would eliminate the need for the pass-rushing LB, but that's a really optimistic projection, even with Haynesworth on the inside.

He's talent though.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #66
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Ohhhh, so that's how it's done "STAR POWER".Not coaching,talent or hard work,not even chemistry...........star power,I'll let Tom Coughlin know that.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #67
Giantone
Gamebreaker

So let me ask you this , you don't think there is a chance the Giants might trade one or two of the D linemen to maybe move up in the draft?
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #68
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Per the Redskin Insider. This doesn't break my heart.

Redskins Insider

Willis Picks Seahawks Over Redskins

Jason Reid checks in with this bit of news...
Guard/tackle Ray Willis, the Redskins' top free agent target to play right tackle, has re-signed with the Seattle Seahawks, a league source said.
Willis chose to return to Seattle instead of accepting the Redskins' free agent offer.
The Redskins are now expected to pursue Arizona guard/tackle Elton Brown.
It may not break your heart but JC may get his heart broken when a Giant kills him next season from that right side of the line!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #69
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
How does FO go after AH without DE's. I mean VC could'nt have asked JT about this workout BS 6 weeks ago? Then JT would have jet and we could have had AH and Canty. This really frustrates me. Last year the excuse was. Were not getting enough pressure up the middle. So our DE's are to late to the QB. This year its going to be. We have no pursuit from the outside. QB's are rolling out with no containment and AH cant get to the QB. Sorry, I was typing as I was thinking.
You are right. If you spend that kind of coin on AH and only have one draft pick for two starting spots you don't kick Taylor to the street and make three needs. I could see getting Canty to fill that spot or picking up a FA RT and LB but Willis is goen and Brown is not a RT. So where are we now a team that has been out played in the off season by the Giants plan and simple. Not saying Taylor was going to be lights out because he never seem to fit that right DE spot. What realy hurts is not having that 2nd round pick!!! Same old dead skins as my Cowboys friends say!!! Just getting old!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #70
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Per the Redskin Insider. This doesn't break my heart.

Redskins Insider

Willis Picks Seahawks Over Redskins

Jason Reid checks in with this bit of news...
Guard/tackle Ray Willis, the Redskins' top free agent target to play right tackle, has re-signed with the Seattle Seahawks, a league source said.
Willis chose to return to Seattle instead of accepting the Redskins' free agent offer.
The Redskins are now expected to pursue Arizona guard/tackle Elton Brown.
that's okay, he signed with his own team for presumably nothing much better than offered
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #71
cobracai1
Camp Scrub

Quote:
It's the same assumption I made above. The draft analysts are VASTLY overvaluing the quarterback class because...well...it's what they do. Teams are smarter than that (well, at least the ones that don't get their scouting info from the nat'l media, which excludes the Raiders and Bengals).

Basically, any player that could potentially create value by slipping to us at No. 13 would be a player that we would take with the pick. That's pretty much the tackles, Crabtree, Orakpo, or Curry. We'd take all of those guys even with trade offers on the table.

So we might be able to make something before the first player gets taken, which would be the risk-averse move, and would keep us out of the following situation:

1. Curry
2. Monroe
3. Orakpo
4. Smith
5. Jenkins
6. Raji
7. Crabtree
8. Oher
9. Smith
10. Sanchez
11. Lauranitis
12. V. Davis
13. ?

Because that pick is either Cushing, Mack, or Maualuga, and as good a player as I think Rey can be, that's not a good situation for us to make that call over two more immediate impact players.

What I think is hard for people to realize is that this scenario is not far fetched at all. If we don't do anything from now til the draft, and this happens, we will reach. I'm not saying it would be the end of the world but it would be disappointing considering we started in the beginning of March with 12Million dollars in cap room and the 13 pick and we come away with one player.
cobracai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #72
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

This is a good thread with some insightful thinking. I have a few comments based on what has been said so far.

1. Why not try to rent a veteran (read old) FA RT for a year? Tra Thomas would be nice and John Runyan might be able to do the job, as well.

BTW, I just noticed in abbrieviating the terms "free agent right tackle" that if you push the letters together they spell "FART". So, why not pick up an old FART for a year, unless you think there's none better than the old fart we already have?

2. The scenario where Detroit may want to trade for our #13 pick might be where Detroit picks Curry #1 and Stafford is still available at #13, enabling them to get both players.

3. Nobody mentioned in this thread that scouts think that C Alex Mack could also play guard in the NFL. He could backup at C and G now and eventually replace Rabach at C.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #73
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracai1 View Post
I think Smoot mentioned it but the Raiders didn't pick up Barnes. I honestly think that we should turn our attention to him as either depth or a potential starter on the right side in case one of the big 4 dont drop to us at 13. I'm starting to get worried we're going into the season with Jansen, Heyer, and Clark as our potential right tackles. That is scary to me
I'm pretty sure we're one of the teams talking to him. I'm less and less sure the FO wants to select an OL high
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #74
vallin21
The Starter

I think if we can get Barnes and Brown (doubt that) we should not worry that much about the right side. I agree with SS, I think were one of the teams he's talking to, and the fact that we might pay him LT money to play RT for a few years might convince him to sign with us.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #75
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Does anyone here think that former safety Roy Williams would make a good pressure-LB?

I'm just looking for any possible way we could add talent to our defense without using our first round pick. Damn you Jason Taylor.
I'm still holding out that JT may be resigned later on down the road. He's got his Jason Taylor Foundation down in Florida that he works with heavily. Being in DC during the off-season would have significantly reduced his involvement. At this stage in his career he can pretty much call his shots. He says "I want to stay in Florida". The team says "No, we need you here". The two sides agree to part ways perhaps leaving open the possibility of him resigning with the team at a later time. Both sides win and neither looks like a chump...

end pipe dream.