Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Defensive line arrangement

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
John Denny
Special Teams

Defensive line arrangement

What do you guys think about playing some sort of combination or rotation of Golston, Montgomery and Daniels (if and when he signs) at the DE spots on running downs?
Golston, Montgomery and or Daniels would make a good rotation at DE on running downs. Carter and Wilson can play DE on 3rd down and the long distance scenarios.
John Denny is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Re: Defensive line arrangement

Why would you want that? Golston and Montgomery are only good for depth.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
John Denny
Special Teams

They're stout bodies. They'll clog up the running lanes.
Hopefully, we'll draft another DT or DE (one that can actually contribute) next month. I don't want another Bobby Wilson or Shane Collins.
Carter isn't strong against the run. Who else do we have to play DE?
John Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
KLHJ2
Inactive

It would just cause teams to pass on obvious running downs. Our team has been pretty stout against the run. There is no reason to change what already works. We just need a bit more of a pass rush and for our D to get off of the field more on 3rd down. We may have accomplished that by picking up Haynesworth, but as always I am in wait and see mode.

As far as Montgomery and Golston only being depth, I disagree. Both are solid starters, but not anchors. Both of them had good performances in a defense that ranked 4th in the league. They may not be pro bowlers, but they get the job done.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
It would just cause teams to pass on obvious running downs. Our team has been pretty stout against the run. There is no reason to change what already works. We just need a bit more of a pass rush and for our D to get off of the field more on 3rd down. We may have accomplished that by picking up Haynesworth, but as always I am in wait and see mode.

As far as Montgomery and Golston only being depth, I disagree. Both are solid starters, but not anchors. Both of them had good performances in a defense that ranked 4th in the league. They may not be pro bowlers, but they get the job done.
When have you seen either one of them collapse the pocket to pressure the quarterback? Yea they can stop the run but they don't do anything on passing downs.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
When have you seen either one of them collapse the pocket to pressure the quarterback? Yea they can stop the run but they don't do anything on passing downs.
We are seeing and saying the exact same thing, but we have a different perspective between the their value in terms of depth versus starters. I see them as starters, but not as anchors or a 1 technique. If we were to put it into terms of WR's they are both number 2's. Unfortunately, The DT position does not work that way, their position is determined by what gap they are best suited for. Neither is exceptional pass rushing or taking on the double team like a RDT or a 1 technique. They are both solid 3 technique DT's. With an anchor or a solid 1 technique DT beside them they can excell, but they have not had that luxery yet. Hopefully with the addition of Haynesworth we will see improvment in terms of productivity.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 03-08-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
We are seeing and saying the exact same thing, but we have a different perspective between the their value in terms of depth versus starters. I see the as starters, but not as anchors or a 1 technique. If we were to put it into terms of WR's they are both number 2's. Unfortunately, The DT position does not work that way, their position is determined by what gap they are best suited for. Neither is exceptional pass rushing or taking on the double team like a RDT or a 1 technique. They are both solid 3 technique DT's. With an anchor or a solid 1 technique DT beside them they can excell, but they have not had that luxery yet. Hopefully with the addition of Haynesworth we will see improvment in terms of productivity.

I think Montgomery has the size to play RDT, i just see him more as a backup. Golston on the other hand I always thought as a LDT. I agree that they will show mass improvement playing in the position they are best suited for(Haynesworth also will be a big part of it). I was talking in regards to the comment in switching them to DE. We can't always just plug players into positions and expect good results. We need a LDE, let's draft one instead of plugging a DT in there.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post

I think Montgomery has the size to play RDT, i just see him more as a backup. Golston on the other hand I always thought as a LDT. I agree that they will show mass improvement playing in the position they are best suited for(Haynesworth also will be a big part of it). I was talking in regards to the comment in switching them to DE. We can't always just plug players into positions and expect good results. We need a LDE, let's draft one instead of plugging a DT in there.
I could not agree more, but those guys you can find a little later on in the draft, usually around the 2nd to 4th round.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I'd say if any of our DTs spends time at DE it will be Phat Al cuz he did so as a Titan, but it will be limited if that. Daniels seems to be a lock to come back and play LDE for us... Blache loves him and that's that. Personally I think Daniels can only be a rotational player w/ his age and wear and tear but I don't know how we solve that problem. Wynn is available but even if we signed both guys at vet min that's about what we would have paid Evans to start and the FO didn't want to pony up the money. Maybe we try to rotate Daniels and Buzbee (he's the only other sizable end on the roster to be a run-stuffer) but he's totally unproven.

... actually Blache could be very creative w/ our DE group. Daniels can play 1st and 2nd down - AC at RDE obviously - and then for 3rd down we could conceivably see Carter switch to LDE and Wilson come in to RDE as these are the two best speed rushers now. We'll see... Blache still has a lot to work with.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
an23dy
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I'd say if any of our DTs spends time at DE it will be Phat Al cuz he did so as a Titan, but it will be limited if that. Daniels seems to be a lock to come back and play LDE for us... Blache loves him and that's that. Personally I think Daniels can only be a rotational player w/ his age and wear and tear but I don't know how we solve that problem. Wynn is available but even if we signed both guys at vet min that's about what we would have paid Evans to start and the FO didn't want to pony up the money. Maybe we try to rotate Daniels and Buzbee (he's the only other sizable end on the roster to be a run-stuffer) but he's totally unproven.

... actually Blache could be very creative w/ our DE group. Daniels can play 1st and 2nd down - AC at RDE obviously - and then for 3rd down we could conceivably see Carter switch to LDE and Wilson come in to RDE as these are the two best speed rushers now. We'll see... Blache still has a lot to work with.
I don't think Daniels can play that many downs at a high level. We have to draft somebody, I would be happy getting somebody in the third round or even later in order to keep the first pick an OT. Also I'd expect Carter to stay at RDE because he's the more accomplished pass rusher, although I do definitely hope C Wilson continues to improve and I would like seeing him in on passing downs.

Last edited by an23dy; 03-08-2009 at 04:49 AM.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
redskinrob
Camp Scrub

I was thinking Lorenzo Alexander at LDE. He is around 290 and has a motor that won't stop. He also got some pressure from the DT last season.
redskinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
I have to disagree.
Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher-Baker, and Chris Horton were a huge reason for us being so stout against the run. And our secondary played outstanding football last year to compensate for the lack of push our D line got. If anything their performance hindered our D, and kept us from being first in the league. Our corners and safeties played and covered so many times for 5 seconds (sometimes even when we were blitzing) and still shut down plays that it was unreal.

Golston is quality depth, and Montgomery has the gifts to be an all pro. You can see it from time to time, but he cannot or will not consistently produce. I'm not sure what his problem is, but its sad because the guy is probably one of the strongest D linemen in the league. He had his best year last year with 15 tackles and 2 sacks. I know he split time, but he needs to lose a few pounds and get his conditioning right so he can make a constant impact on D.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
dmek25
MVP

Redskins Make Contract Offer to Daniels

Jason Reid reports:

The Washington Redskins made a contract offer to veteran defesive lineman Phillip Daniels, who wants to return to the team.
i guess he will be back. hopefully they arent paying him anything
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Redskins Make Contract Offer to Daniels

Jason Reid reports:

The Washington Redskins made a contract offer to veteran defesive lineman Phillip Daniels, who wants to return to the team.
i guess he will be back. hopefully they arent paying him anything
at least were getting him on the cheap that is great
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinrob View Post
I was thinking Lorenzo Alexander at LDE. He is around 290 and has a motor that won't stop. He also got some pressure from the DT last season.
Now we are talking, the 2 Cal guys playing end!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote