Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trading Down the 1st Rounder next year

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Trading Down the 1st Rounder next year

With the salary cap situation the Redkisns are in and the amount of current draft picks we have for 2007 left - doesn't it make sense to trade the pick down for multiple picks? I would think this would be the best solution because it allows you to pick up more players (the draft is a difficult science and more picks allows the team to have additional shots at gettig NFL cailber talent) and by moving down is easier to sign these players and give some relief to the cap in the future.

Any chance the Reskins go this route?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR
Impact Rookie

Re: Trading Down the 1st Rounder next year

That what a smart front office would do try to have as many picks that you could have. But that something that litte Danny and the Gibbster never would ever do. The last time we traded down in the first round was the year that Ramsey got drafted.
CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Trading down out of a really high first rounder to get multiple picks would require some degree of ingenuity from the front office. I wouldn't trust this crowd to do such a thing.

Casserly could do it. Wonder if Danny could throw him a few million, make him forget about the past?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Trading down out of a really high first rounder to get multiple picks would require some degree of ingenuity from the front office. I wouldn't trust this crowd to do such a thing.

Casserly could do it. Wonder if Danny could throw him a few million, make him forget about the past?
Caesserly is a hack. What has he ever done? He won a SB with a team he didn't build. Then set forth to ruin a franchise throughout the mid 90s. He was as responsible as anyone for the teams struggles until Gibbs finally came back.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
dmek25
MVP

before trading down, you must first evaluate want and need. see whats available, and see what the skins need. i am one who doesn't think the skins lack talent. one or two quality players can make this team a contender, in my opinion
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Is the salary cap ever really an issue? as far as I can tell, we just extend contracts into perpetuity...so while we do max pay year, any money above and beyond (needed to sign talent) is simply pushed till a later date (which works until there is a regime change). As for the picks, i agree that it would be smart, but i'm highly skeptical, a more likely outcome would be to trade up in exchange for our 2-4 round draft picks in 2008. What picks do we have in the upcoming draft anyway (that is, which picks have we not traded away?)
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I wish we could somehow manage a lower 1st round pick and a late 2nd round.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

All of this depends upon how high our first rounder is and who's available in the draft. It's a little premature to think about it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Caesserly is a hack. What has he ever done? He won a SB with a team he didn't build. Then set forth to ruin a franchise throughout the mid 90s. He was as responsible as anyone for the teams struggles until Gibbs finally came back.
Casserly accumulated the talent that Gibbs coached to victory. By his own admission Snyder said he fired the wrong guy when he fired Casserly and kept Norv. Gibbs is a great coach but taleent evaluation is not his forte. This team needs a real full time GM. I dont know that Casserly is the guy but the skins need someone to be the GM.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
All of this depends upon how high our first rounder is and who's available in the draft. It's a little premature to think about it.
Glad I read this before I finished my three paragraph comment based on the same observation.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If it's high enough to get a pass rushing DE like Quentin Moses (Georgia) or Gaines Adams (Clemson), then keep the pick. Otherwise, trading to the bottom of the first round to add an additional pick in the 2nd round wouldn't be a bad idea. Mkristo Bruce (Washington State) is an intriguing pass rush prospect who will probably be available in round 2.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
offiss

We really don't have much ability to evaluate talent so as far as the draft goes, 1 possible 1st round bust or several late round busts, does it really matter with this group?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
paulskinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Casserly accumulated the talent that Gibbs coached to victory. By his own admission Snyder said he fired the wrong guy when he fired Casserly and kept Norv. Gibbs is a great coach but taleent evaluation is not his forte. This team needs a real full time GM. I dont know that Casserly is the guy but the skins need someone to be the GM.

Im not trying to be rude or anything, but your premise that Casserly was a good GM is just plain wrong. Bobby Beathard built Gibbs super bowl teams, not Charlie Casserly. Casserly was a HORRIBLE GM. He absolutely cannot evaluate talent. Just look what he did to the Texans for goodness sake. I would rather keep the current system, and I hate the system as it is, than go back to Casserly.
paulskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
If it's high enough to get a pass rushing DE like Quentin Moses (Georgia) or Gaines Adams (Clemson), then keep the pick. Otherwise, trading to the bottom of the first round to add an additional pick in the 2nd round wouldn't be a bad idea. Mkristo Bruce (Washington State) is an intriguing pass rush prospect who will probably be available in round 2.
SouperMeiter - I follow the SEC (went to South Carolina - I know the old ballcoach slanders are going to roll in!)) and the DE's Moses and Johnson of Georgia are both pretty good.

One other question with the 1st rounder - in the TJ Duckett Trade I know we gave a 3rd rounder but I saw a report that in addition we may have to swap 1st round picks with Denver next year as well if the Redskins have a worse record than them and the difference between the Redskins 1st round pick and Denver's is greater than the value of a 3rd round pick. If this is the case the Redkisn switch 1st rounders with them, otherwise the Broncos also get our 4th rounder next year. Is this true? If so than we need to put call blocking on the Redskins phone line with the Broncos front office ASAP.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
With the salary cap situation the Redkisns are in and the amount of current draft picks we have for 2007 left - doesn't it make sense to trade the pick down for multiple picks? I would think this would be the best solution because it allows you to pick up more players (the draft is a difficult science and more picks allows the team to have additional shots at gettig NFL cailber talent) and by moving down is easier to sign these players and give some relief to the cap in the future.

Any chance the Reskins go this route?
I don't see it happening that way....
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote