Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Is Facebook Heading To A Demise?

Parking Lot

Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
metalskins
The Starter

Is Facebook Heading To A Demise?

The Truth About Facebook's Fake Quest To Connect The World

Interesting article I read about Facebook's company today. Almost makes it sound as if the company is kind of "cult-ish". Some mention of the government possibly thinking of breaking the company up. I don't know if Facebook is "breakable" or not. Then again, we've seen a lot of big time companies go under, so who knows?

I use Facebook. Not the world's biggest fan, but it is nice to have in order to stay in contact with family and friends I don't get to see often. Now that you think about it, it does seem kind of cult like. I've tried to quit Facebook many times and can't. They keep drugging me and forcing me to wear Nike.

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Is Facebook Heading To A Demise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
The Truth About Facebook's Fake Quest To Connect The World

Interesting article I read about Facebook's company today. Almost makes it sound as if the company is kind of "cult-ish". Some mention of the government possibly thinking of breaking the company up. I don't know if Facebook is "breakable" or not. Then again, we've seen a lot of big time companies go under, so who knows?

I use Facebook. Not the world's biggest fan, but it is nice to have in order to stay in contact with family and friends I don't get to see often. Now that you think about it, it does seem kind of cult like. I've tried to quit Facebook many times and can't. They keep drugging me and forcing me to wear Nike.
Had an account ,hated it. Closed it and that was three years ago
Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Had an account ,hated it. Closed it and that was three years ago
I've been trying to close it, but I find that the first thing I do in the morning when I'm sitting up trying to get myself awake is to flip through Facebook to look at the posts. I don't necessarily post on it much myself, I'm more of a lurker. I do love it when I see memory posts come up, and I see a picture of my son when he was a little baby. Yeah, even though I have baby pictures of him, a lot of those pictures were taken from my wife who would upload them to Facebook and then tag me in the post. I guess what I should do is to save those pictures before I decide to delete it.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Back2RFK
Special Teams

I joined when I had a class reunion. I get a laugh at how it a platform for friends to show off. Like I really need to see every meal and everything your doing on vacation.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
I joined when I had a class reunion. I get a laugh at how it a platform for friends to show off. Like I really need to see every meal and everything your doing on vacation.
I joined when it was just for college students and graduates. I can't believe how much it has changed since then.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
kct1975
The Starter

Personally I have never had a Facebook account and if I can help it, I Never Will!

Not to be a 'Tin Foil Hat' guy, but I don't need the world to know about me and what I am doing.

I don't trust Facebook's Priavcy Policies and never will.

I have friends, family and aquantices. And I prefer to keep in touch with them by phone, email, text message, and tools like Google Photos.

I'm also a member of this forum and other forums like this, so I am part of some Social Networking.

The difference is that with this forum and other forums I an remain mostly anonymous, and chose what personal information I decided to share.

Personally my biggest problem with Facebook is it is set up to almost force you to share your personal information.

I just don't like sharing my personal information with total strangers. For example, while I am proud of being having Batchelor Degree, I don't need strangers around the world knowing about it or where I went to college.

Unfortunately the ways things seem to be going, however, it seems that eventually people like me might eventually be forced to join Facebook to simply be a part of any group or community. It also seems that a lot of companies are moving to Facebook. I can see a point in the near future where I might have to have a Facebook account just to order a food delivery (like pizza )

Taking to several Millennils it seems that my desire for privacy is odd to them. They seem to have no problem with total strangers knowing about their lives.

Since the Millennils will be the majority soon I gusss is that at some point I will have to Fall In Line and finally join Facebook and Twitter, ect.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Get off my lawn!!! (I don't have Facebook)
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct1975 View Post
Personally I have never had a Facebook account and if I can help it, I Never Will!

Not to be a 'Tin Foil Hat' guy, but I don't need the world to know about me and what I am doing.

I don't trust Facebook's Priavcy Policies and never will.

I have friends, family and aquantices. And I prefer to keep in touch with them by phone, email, text message, and tools like Google Photos.

I'm also a member of this forum and other forums like this, so I am part of some Social Networking.

The difference is that with this forum and other forums I an remain mostly anonymous, and chose what personal information I decided to share.

Personally my biggest problem with Facebook is it is set up to almost force you to share your personal information.

I just don't like sharing my personal information with total strangers. For example, while I am proud of being having Batchelor Degree, I don't need strangers around the world knowing about it or where I went to college.

Unfortunately the ways things seem to be going, however, it seems that eventually people like me might eventually be forced to join Facebook to simply be a part of any group or community. It also seems that a lot of companies are moving to Facebook. I can see a point in the near future where I might have to have a Facebook account just to order a food delivery (like pizza )

Taking to several Millennils it seems that my desire for privacy is odd to them. They seem to have no problem with total strangers knowing about their lives.

Since the Millennils will be the majority soon I gusss is that at some point I will have to Fall In Line and finally join Facebook and Twitter, ect.

I totally get the privacy concerns but do you use a cell phone and credit cards? It's nearly impossible these days to totally protect your info.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I totally get the privacy concerns but do you use a cell phone and credit cards? It's nearly impossible these days to totally protect your info.
To answer your questions...yes to both

I also use a lot of Google Apps and services.

I do not, however, wish to broadcast all of my personal life and details about myself to random people.

I do, however, understand that with ever technology I use and every app or service that I use, I am trading some of my personal information.

I have come to accept that fact.

I just don't want to be Pushed into sharing details about my life or my activities, which I feel that services like Facebook do just that.

The way it seems things are going, is that both Google and Facebook are becoming not only services, but also Single Sign On services. I can actually anticipate the day where there will be some comerical vendor site that will require me to log into their site with my Facebook credentials. So my assumption is that at some point, like it or not, I will be almost forced to have a Facebook account.

And when that day comes, I will do what is necessary, and sign up for Facebook, but I will put as little info about myself as possible into the account.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
JPPT1974
Special Teams

I still love it. Do not use Google Apps. But still use Facebook as also have a Twitter, Pinterest, and Youtube. Do not need Instagram or Snap Chat.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah, I don't know why people have multiple social media platforms, but again I'm getting old af too, so who knows? For me Facebook is mainly where I get a lot of my information for events and fun things to do in the area. Anyone who is on Facebook with me knows that my wife and I tend to frequent wineries and breweries QUITE often and that's where I know what's happening.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #12
mredskins
MVP

Facebook is for soccer moms to passive aggressively show off their kids to other soccer moms. I love for that site to burn down.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

I have a Facebook account but sporadically use it. The only time I do is to wish someone happy birthday or if I'm tagged in something. If I need to get a hold of somebody I will use the phonr or email. If I don't have those contact info with someone we're probably not really friends so I don't need yo talk to them that badly.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
metalskins
The Starter

I think if you're a serious dude or dudette who feels the need to push your political agenda on to others or you just feel you have a certain cause that needs to be exposed to the world, then social media apps like Facebook is the perfect platform. But, if you're me, and you like reposting funny animal videos or memes on your page, then that's about all I really get out of Facebook. To be honest, I don't even like posting pictures of myself right now, because I'm fat and out of shape. When I get back in shape, I might enjoy posting pics of myself on Facebook again.