Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Ravens)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Ravens)

Overall, very pleased with today's performance so I'll be brief

Jarvis Jenkins' Injury Let's just hope it's not too serious. Aside from not wanting to see any of our players injured, and pulling for a key rookie to have a big year, I'm worried about the depth we have. Right now it looks like Darion Scott will slide into that role behind Carriker. But I'm not 100% comfortable with that.

Kellen Clemens No need to keep him on the roster and take up a roster spot. Should we ever need him, I'm sure he won't be hard to pick up on a monent's notice.

Our SecondaryIt's late and I'm tired, so I won't really elaborate. But I'm concerned about who will line up opposite D. Hall. I absolute love that Hall is a playmaker for us. But, because he likes to take risks, that only can truly work if we're comfortable that the CB on the other side of him is steady and reliable. Yet with Wilson healthy and Barnes playing better against the run than the pass...that steady/reliable CB hasn't quite stepped up yet

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
Meks
Pro Bowl

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Ravens)

Barnes did look ok ... I really hope for his sake that Jenkins is back in about 4 weeks or so ... fully healthy ... so much potential .. of could turn into a monster ... really feel bad for.him of he's out ... with Landry in the line up the secondary will be more comfortable ... OJ will get more acclimated ... Wilson needs to get back on the field.. but it is an area of concern IMO ... secondary looked shaky .. pass rush was good, run d was good... d looked really fresh and a complete 180 from last year ... I'm encouraged and amped for the season
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
Bucket
Playmaker

I agree with everything you said Smoot, and would like to add a few things.

1. Wilson took half the year to get into a grove for the Ravens, so he seems to me like a hot/cold kinda guy. Hopefully he pans out and stays healthy enough to be our #2 guy. Banres is starting to show leeps from last year, and it might of come from all the playtime he's received in preseason/training camp. I'm hoping our secondary is solid enough to help our front 7 do what they can do.

2. Kerrigan was the right choice for our 1st round pick. A lot of people doubted our pick because he would yet again be making the transition from a hand in the dirt pass rusher into another 3/4 OLB. Well, in tonight game he got my game ball. He had 6 tackles, 1 TFL, and a sack. He showed his skills and mass improvement tonight.

3. Biggest issue at hand this season is not Donovan Mcnabb, and it's not Albert Haynesworth. It's the close challenge that we've been having between two QB's who wont let the other seperate himself from the pack. As I do believe Beck will win this job because he's the better fit, and has the most upside to him. I do think both guys are not making it easy on Shanahan

3 games so far:
Grossman 34/53 64.2 407yards 2/1 92.3 QB RTG
Beck 20-27 74.1 253 1/1 99.0 QB RTG

Beck didn't play the first game, but they both have seen their share of 1st/2nd team defenses.

4. Hightower has to be the starter after tonight. The guy is a perfect fit in this system. The question remains though.. What is going to happen to Torain? I guess we will all have to wait till game 4 where I think Hightower will not play at all as the other 3 RB's get a handful of carries.

5. Offensive Line is still struggling on some drop back pass plays. Seems sometimes the blitz was actually shown to them, and they couldn't stop it or Rex didn't get rid of it fast enough or check off in the 1st Q. Beck's one sack could of been because of the hold on the DB called on the play, but I didn't get to see the whole thing.

Overall it was a great game, and I can't help but feel like winners walking away from it.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Bucket
Playmaker

One more thing I wanted to add was Penalties. We did a good job in the first 2 games with not doing dumb mistakes, but this game we cost ourselves basically 14 points because of penalties.

Both of the Ravens first half scoring drives were because of penalties that we had them stopped, and they ended up getting a first down. Score could of easily been 21-0 or more in the first half.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Oh yeah. Great point. I completely forgot to add penalties
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
53Fan
Franchise Player

Yeah, besides Jenkins getting hurt, the penalties upset me the most. We seemed to be doing pretty well with those before tonight. Of course a couple of those were on Kerrigan which I think were do to aggressive play which I like to see in a rookie. The penalties hurt us tonight.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Kindoy
The Starter

Orakpo looks ready to go & Kerrigan looked good minus the penalties. I think our d-line will be solid come the start of the season as well as our defense in general. i am worried about that other corner spot like everyone else. OJ, Landry & Hall will be pretty damn good though.

Austin looked really good to me tonight, i think he deserves a roster spot. Hightower looked like a stud, hopefully we keep Torain around because they can be an effective duo. I think having a tandem backfield can also keep some of the injuries away from torain. O-line looked ok, at times they looked very good like on a few of those stretches but at other times the protection was iffy at best. 1st O looked good against a pretty good D tonight.

As for Beck vs. Rexy... the jury is still out as far as i'm concerned. I'd let them both get a good amount of reps next week. Tonight really didn't help much, they both played well. They look equally good, neither have done anything drastic to win or lose the job. I honestly can't pick one over the other right now.

Last edited by Kindoy; 08-26-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Kindoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
skins89moss
Playmaker

All of you guys made great points tonight. I did not see the 1st QRT. I was driving to work but did see the rest of the game. I think we have 2 QB's who can manage the offense for us. It's hard to say who should start but I would go with Rex out of the gate based on his game experience. They both threw the ball well and seem to have command of the offense. Shanny sees these guys everyday in practice and during the games so I think when the times comes he will make the best choice for the team to winn games. The 1st team defense made a few key penalties that kept the Ravens drives alive but I was impressed with our blitz pressure. Man our LB's have to cover better or TE's like Witten will have big games against us. Austin has to make the 53 man roster he is a playmaker like Moss. Gomes is always around the ball he to should make the team. HB Blades I will not make the roster, he looked slow and out of position at times. I think Darrian Scott makes the Roster he shows he can get pressure on the QB.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hall is a ball hawk but gives up plays same as always but I love em.. D played well and our guy Hightower is the real deal!! Beck and Rex both did good IMO overall very pleased just hope JJ is ok
Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
One more thing I wanted to add was Penalties. We did a good job in the first 2 games with not doing dumb mistakes, but this game we cost ourselves basically 14 points because of penalties.

Both of the Ravens first half scoring drives were because of penalties that we had them stopped, and they ended up getting a first down. Score could of easily been 21-0 or more in the first half.
Great point, but how ironic is it that one of our penalties actually lead to us getting a TD? Still, that was just dumb luck and we really need to focus on eliminating those stupid mistakes.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I agree with SS that Clemens is a waste of a roster spot. I hope that Ben Chappell plays a lot against Tampa...let's take him for a test drive.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

According to keim, Jenkins said he heard a pop when he got hurt and we all know what that usually means. I wad hoping it would be minor, but now ir seems almost inevitable.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
skinsfan69
Living Legend

1. I thought DHall could've made a play on the TD had he looked for the ball. But he made a great play on that TD. The secondary really needs #30.
2. I offically have a man crush on Austin. Outside of Hightower has anyone stepped up more than this guy?
3. Bad deal on Jenkins cause he was having a great camp. That didn't look good. Any news on him?
4. Haslett called a nice game EXCEPT for the 3-14. Why isn't Rak getting after the passer there? ..Instead he's 20 yards downfield lost in space.
5. Both QB's played well but I'd give a slight edge to Grossman. REALLY nice drive at the end of the half. He can play in this offense. But Beck has surprised me. He looks like he belongs.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Hall is a ball hawk but gives up plays same as always but I love em.. D played well and our guy Hightower is the real deal!! Beck and Rex both did good IMO overall very pleased just hope JJ is ok

See. That's my huge problem with Hall. He's always going for that splashy play (ESPN highlights) and it's cost us games and it's going to continue costing us games. I'd rather not have those ESPN highlights and have him play the position with some discipline. The guy has the talent, but it seems he's another Lavar Arrington at the CB spot. Now, I'm exaggerating there, but you should get the point. Play the position with discipline and lock your man down, even if it does mean not getting those splashy plays.

edit: Also to those Banks fan boys out there. I told you (as well as others) over and over again that he was replaceable and that showed last night with the KR game.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 08-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
edit: Also to those Banks fan boys out there. I told you (as well as others) over and over again that he was replaceable and that showed last night with the KR game.
I guess you get an advanced copy of the roster list. So who was listed as starting qb cuz everyone's dying to know?
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote