Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Marshall tabbed to replace Pierce

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
jrocx69
Special Teams

Marshall tabbed to replace Pierce

Washington's new man in the middle is Lemar Marshall, who performed admirably in place of injured LaVar Arrington on the weak side last year.

Not only do the Redskins apparently have no plans to pursue such available inside linebackers as Pittsburgh's Kendrell Bell and Baltimore's Ed Hartwell, they don't plan to increase their standing $10 million bonus offer to Fred Smoot, leaving it up to the cornerback to find a better deal from Kansas City or another suitor and then decide if he'll return to Washington.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...1358-4055r.htm
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
jamf
Pro Bowl

Re: Marshall tabbed to replace Pierce

man... lamar marshall is smaller than sean taylor.

how in the hell is he going to holdup in the middle?
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

The same way undersized Pierce did.

This is good news!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
jrocx69
Special Teams

pierce was 242lbs marshall is 228lbs.... and not known for being a heavy hitter... weeel see

pierce being undersized means marshall has alot to overcome
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Can Barrow even play? Does he still exist? What's up?

I like Marshall, and he knows the system, but it'll take some work to make it fly. Fortunatley, we've got Williams.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:33 AM   #6
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

And if not smoot, are we gonna stand pat there too? Talk about playing it quiet in FA!
Old 03-04-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
Shane
Special Teams

I love the attitude that Joe Gibbs brings. We could have had Pierce, but it would have thrown the salary structure out of whack for the first two years, so no deal.

Fred Smoot, we are offering you terrific money, and we aren't going to let the market drive our price higher. We feel we are paying you a fair amount for the good skills and ability you bring, but we won't overpay.

We lose Pierce - and we promote Marshall, who served so well last year in place of Arrington. Marshall, the undrafted guy who has drifted from team to team, and made his name with us first through special teams. Say hello to the new starting middle linebacker on the NFL's best defense. No big shot free agents need apply.

And with Pierce, I think it is better that we let him go - that one line of his kind of gave his goals away - he wants to make a name for himself, and New York is the best place for him to do it he said. For almost the same money he could have been a part of the Redskins, but he wanted the New York lights. That's fine, and I don't mean to criticize him. It just isn't the team first attitude that we need here, in my view.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #8
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep
And if not smoot, are we gonna stand pat there too? Talk about playing it quiet in FA!
I hope that Smoot resigns, but if he dont then I hope that we do stand pat there too!! I mean Gibbs is clearly trying to accomplish 2 things:

1.) He is trying to build us a winning team that will contend for the super bowl

and

2.) He is trying to build the winning team at a lower cost!! Saving the team from salary cap hell.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:12 AM   #9
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

this is awful
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Shane - I wouldn't be so sure we don't let the market drive our price. We need a CB and we may as well retain Smoot. Lucas got a big deal and he's not even as good as Smoot.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #11
Shane
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Shane - I wouldn't be so sure we don't let the market drive our price. We need a CB and we may as well retain Smoot. Lucas got a big deal and he's not even as good as Smoot.
I think teams are most successful when they have a strong sense of their principles and their boundaries and are willing to risk being a little poorer in talent for awhile rather than to bend themselves out of shape and go against those principles for short term gain and, let's say, overpay for a free agent.

I like to see a team with a strong identity and a strong sense of togetherness, cooperation and collective aspiration. If you are bending yourself out of shape to sign free agents and if you are afraid to promote players from within and have faith in them and do the hard work of teaching them adequately, then you don't have a strong identity of what your team is about - you are always looking where the grass is greener somewhere else, at some sparkling free agent, etc.

You want players to want to come to you because you are so attractive to them, like Rabach or Patten, rather than you falling over yourself to sign someone out of fear you lack something.

The Atlanta Falcons signed someone last year I was reading, paying way over market price for Jason Webster, because they had cut everyone at that position and were desperate. That wasn't a great way to manage things. Then he got injured.

To be willing to promote from within really motivates all the players because they know they will get a chance if they play themselves into the role. Lemar Marshall no doubt sensed he would be given opportunity on this team and he played his heart out in place of Arrington, and now will be our starting middle linebacker.

We have players on our roster right now who could be super players at cornerback, or do a very good job. To re-sign Smoot is a good move at the right price because Smoot has earned that. But if it throws out our salary structure, to me it means we are prostrating ourselves out of fear and I don't think that helps us.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 AM   #12
Redskins8588
Playmaker

What does this say about Smoot and his asking price if teams like Dallas and Carolina are passing him up? I mean Carolina gave Lucus(SP) almost a small mint and I dont think that he is as good as Smoot is. Even KC is supposed to look at Smoot, but from what I have ben reading you can tell that they really want Rolle.

One would think that after seening your peers get these offers and your name not even mentioned it might motivate you to go back to your orginal team and show everyone that they f*cked up by not getting you!!

With that being said I hope that Smoot comes back!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #13
huntz
Special Teams

Hate to see Antonio leave. Liked him from the start. But Marshall has shown he can play and who says Barrow can't come back to be the man this year he was supposed to be last season? 'Skins are deep at LB, and might be deeper if they draft one next month.
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

gotta agree with shane on this one... and i think many of us saw marshal's chance coming in the last couple days. That said, let's get smoot back and draft williams, so i can consider this a great offseason (well, great after watching a preseason game and seeing what a beasst marshall will be at MLB :P)

honestly pierce's statement made it sound like he rather make a name for himself and he did want the money or a chance to emerge as a star instead of a guy who filled in between arrington and washington... before free agency he said the offer would have to blow him away, but apparently our best offer was pretty close, so i wish him the best (he did give us a chance to match, and that's really all you can ask for), but i don't really feel that bad about loing him right now... (if marshall gets injured or plays poorly i might change my mind though).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:24 AM   #15
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocx69
pierce was 242lbs marshall is 228lbs.... and not known for being a heavy hitter... weeel see

pierce being undersized means marshall has alot to overcome
Since Marshall handled himself well in place of Lavar (253 lbs.), we should give him a chance.