Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2012 Redskins Free Agency Tracker

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
donofriose
The Starter

Re: 2012 Redskins Free Agency Tracker

We don't need to get a big name receiver this year, I don't know if people realize but we aren't going to the superbowl next year or the year after. So many good receivers come later in the draft its ridiculous. Even Vincent was a second round pick. Every packers receiver which seems they could be number ones are second or even seventh round picks. Was Cruz or Welker drafted? Synder has the same attitude of impatience, being patient will win you a lot of games in the future.

Advertisements
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #47
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Hot damn. I take back what I said.
The number did seem high to me and it may be fuzzy mathed, but I am fairly positive even with the penalty we are better off. I have a hard time faulting BA in this as he was/is cleaning up VCs mess.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #48
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Snyder hasn't done squat since MS and BA have been here. I will give you the McNabb situation, and if you look back at my comments I have been one of the biggest critics of the McNabb fiasco. But comparing what our FO has done (minus McNabb) to everything the Vinny Cerrato-led Redskins did is just ignorant IMO. I will admit that this FO needs to start producing wins to validate what appears to be good moves, but they are not the same moves from before. Shoot, Vinny Cerrato would have given up two #1s and a 2nd rounder to move up and take Justin Blackmon or Trent Richardson.
Snyder is still finding ways to screw us even with the cap penalties. I believe that this management has a clearer direction than the one before but I am saying thinking that a big name free agent will solve a problem is exactly what Vinny used to think. We need to be smart with who we sign and for how much. I still think there are good free agents, like Winston for example, but going out in free agency and acting like that is the best way to solve your problems won't win you many games. It looks flashy but in the NFL you win with depth. Thats why the Giants won this past year.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #49
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
signing second tier receivers (Royal, Morgan, Jacoby Jones, etc) doesnt do a whole lot to improve this team. Need a threat, play making WR for impact. we already have compliments at WR, we need a guy that a defensive cordinator has to game plan for.
There are like 5 in the NFL. Most of the others are made better by their QB and/or scheme.

As good as he is VJax at top level is maybe barely, if at all, "a guy that a defensive cordinator has to game plan for"
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Snyder is still finding ways to screw us even with the cap penalties. I believe that this management has a clearer direction than the one before but I am saying thinking that a big name free agent will solve a problem is exactly what Vinny used to think. We need to be smart with who we sign and for how much. I still think there are good free agents, like Winston for example, but going out in free agency and acting like that is the best way to solve your problems won't win you many games. It looks flashy but in the NFL you win with depth. Thats why the Giants won this past year.
Really? Even though it was Bruce Allen that put together those restructured contracts in order to fix the mess from before? I am not trying to put the blame on Allen, I just want to make the point that Snyder does not meddle with team affairs the way fans do (or as he did before).

Successful teams win with a combination of draft and free agency. One of the best players in the New England Patriots was a free agent acquisition (Welker) and they had a great run with another (Moss). A season or two ago, the Giants signed Rolle from free agency, who at the time was consider a flashy free agent. I definitely understand the concerns that fans have about VJax, especially his price, but let's not forget the ton of youth this team has drafted in the past two offseason, and/or the franchise QB we are going to be selecting in April (similar to what the Giants did with Eli).
R.I.P. #21

Last edited by Ruhskins; 03-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player_HTTR View Post
I saw a report that without the restructures we'd be 39mil over the cap. Even being penalized for doing nothing wrong legally, we are in better shape.
Link Please?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Really? Even though it was Bruce Allen that put together those restructured contracts in order to fix the mess from before? I am not trying to put the blame on Allen, I just want to make the point that Snyder does not meddle with team affairs the way fans do (or as he did before).

Successful teams win with a combination of draft and free agency. One of the best players in the New England Patriots was a free agent (Welker) and they had a great run with another (Moss). A season or two ago, the Giants signed Rolle from free agency, who at the time was consider a flashy free agent. I definitely understand the concerns that fans have about VJax, especially his price, but let's not forget the ton of youth this team has drafted in the past two offseason, and/or the franchise QB we are going to be selecting in April (similar to what the Giants did with Eli).
The difference between us and the Patriots is that they already have leadership and a system in place. Welker wasn't a flashy free agent in fact im pretty sure he was traded to the Patriots for a second round pick. You can get veterans players to put you over the hump, like Randy Moss did for the Patriots, but they got Randy Moss for a fourth round pick which isn't much. And Rolle wasn't the reason the Giants won the superbowl, he is a good player but their entire DLINE and Eli which they drafted is the reason they are successful. I just like the thought of continuing drafting players to help us build our team, it helps with chemistry and it will be better in the long haul. Successful teams rarely go for the big name, again the reasons those teams are successful are because of the draft. but they do use free agency but not to the extent that it seems a lot of people want.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Link Please?
It was in the whirlwind of twitter links I went through on my phone last night, I am not digging it out or know if I could find it again. I went on a couple posts later questioning the complete validity of what I saw myself. Long story short, BA > VC (or most anyone eslse) and we are better of for it including whatever nonsense the owners want to throw the Skins way.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
The difference between us and the Patriots is that they already have leadership and a system in place. Welker wasn't a flashy free agent in fact im pretty sure he was traded to the Patriots for a second round pick. You can get veterans players to put you over the hump, like Randy Moss did for the Patriots, but they got Randy Moss for a fourth round pick which isn't much. And Rolle wasn't the reason the Giants won the superbowl, he is a good player but their entire DLINE and Eli which they drafted is the reason they are successful. I just like the thought of continuing drafting players to help us build our team, it helps with chemistry and it will be better in the long haul. Successful teams rarely go for the big name, again the reasons those teams are successful are because of the draft. but they do use free agency but not to the extent that it seems a lot of people want.
But they still went the FA route.

Also, the Redskins drafted 12 rookies last year and will likely draft 7 this year. You have our GM stating that he wants players to be born in the Burgundy & Gold. I still don't get your idea that all we are doing is going after big time Free Agents. Once again, I get some of your points, but you make it sound like we just blew a whole bunch of picks on a FA and are going to build the team JUST through free agency with Vinny Cerrato at the helm.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #55
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
There are like 5 in the NFL. Most of the others are made better by their QB and/or scheme.

As good as he is VJax at top level is maybe barely, if at all, "a guy that a defensive cordinator has to game plan for"
Stretches the field, big body and catches everything. VJax yards per reception is something we need in a Skins jersey, those second tier guys cant bring that. Rather draft best available WR in the 3rd, than spend money on second tier wr, we got those already.

He Gets Us
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
But they still went the FA route.

Also, the Redskins drafted 12 rookies last year and will likely draft 7 this year. You have our GM stating that he wants players to be born in the Burgundy & Gold. I still don't get your idea that all we are doing is going after big time Free Agents. Once again, I get some of your points, but you make it sound like we just blew a whole bunch of picks on a FA and are going to build the team JUST through free agency with Vinny Cerrato at the helm.
No I think you misunderstood my point, my point was about Vincent Jackson and I was saying signing someone like that will backfire on you more than 50 percent of the time. Someone had asked "why the hate on vincent" and I was answering their question from my point of view on him. I said that the new management is starting to build through the draft multiple times which is why I said it looks like we have a bright future. I think using free agency can help you but its my opinion that you build through the draft and use free agency to fill a couple of pieces here and there if that makes sense. Like Winston, i think he would be a good tackle for us. I just don't like Vincent because of what he appears to be to me. Thats why I answered that guys question about him.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #57
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

Glazer just tweeted Saints sign Colston to 5yr deal
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #58
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

NFL Free Agency 2012: Redskins Expected To Purse RT Eric Winston, According To Report - SB Nation DC
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #59
iRepDMV
Special Teams

Good stuff!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #60
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player_HTTR View Post
Glazer just tweeted Saints sign Colston to 5yr deal
Guess they're skipping Nicks then.

I heard the Saints and Raiders also had small violations in this cap crap, but their only punishment is that they won't receive their $1.6m cut like the rest of the league.

Hor-freaking-ray!

This is the #1 addition I want. Is Jammal Brown still under contract/on the roster? I'd be a fine backup...but he's not living up to the starter role he was supposed to solidify.

Last edited by Monkeydad; 03-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Closed Thread