Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?
Yes - fire him now 11 6.51%
Wait til after the season to decide 38 22.49%
No 120 71.01%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
why does someone walk around with $3700 cash?
Because he can?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
los panda
Pro Bowl

make it rain like pacman jones
punch a hooker, throw your money on the flo
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Must be nice to walk around with almost 4k in your pocket.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Must be nice to walk around with almost 4k in your pocket.
That confused me as well. Why walk around with 4k and your passport for a trip to Pittsburg. It makes no sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
That confused me as well. Why walk around with 4k and your passport for a trip to Pittsburg. It makes no sense.
The passport is for when he gets run out of town.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

There have been reports Albert Connell has been detained trying to board a flight to the Caribbean using a stolen passport and 3700 cash money...interesting

He Gets Us
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
why does someone walk around with $3700 cash?
You guys are missing the obvious - bounty money.

I can see Shanny slamming the cash on the table:

"Any defensive player that touches the opposing QB before the whistle will receive ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS."

"Any player who makes an open field tackle... BOOM! There's a g-note for you!"

"If the other team is forced to punt, ALL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS will receive ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS."

Ok I'll stop...

PS - The passport is obvious too - postgame trip to Canada for drugs and prostitutes.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
There have been reports Albert Connell has been detained trying to board a flight to the Caribbean using a stolen passport and 3700 cash money...interesting
lmao
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Maybe he's client #10?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

When's your boy HTTR247 coming back to visit us?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
When's your boy HTTR247 coming back to visit us?
Good question. I put up the bat signal.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Skinzerdie
Camp Scrub

Shanny won't be fired this season as the acquisition of RGIII has pretty much guaranteed him another year, however, how he finishes this season, I feel, will definitely have an effect on the earnestness to produce emphatic results in ’13.

If we’re 3-6 by this time next season, Shanny won’t be lent nearly the same latitude he’s receiving this year. He’s getting a lot of leeway this season because he’s grooming a rookie QB and certain “growing pains” were to be expected.

But in year two for RGIII/year four for Shanny, it’ll certainly be a different story, especially considering how evident its becoming that it’s not RGIII’s maturity as a passer that’s costing the team so much as it is the talent around him. According to Michael Lombardi, absolutely all football matters – including all talent decisions – are incumbent upon Mike Shanahan, so any and all liability will rest squarely on the coach’s shoulders.

I’ve been an outspoken advocate of the Shana-plan since the start; though, if I’m being honest, the loss to Carolina definitely had me second guessing ever hitching a ride on Shanny’s bandwagon as I questioned in moments during and after the game whether his decision making was really making a difference.

Like Lombardi, I don’t have any reservations about Shanny’s tactical brilliance. When players stay focused and execute, we’ve seen the results his teams can produce, but his coaching isn’t so much what’s in question as it is his ability to assess talent.

According to Lombardi, the scouting department never changed over. Apparently, we’ve got the same scouts here from the Cerrato administration.

Considering that Shanny has spent the last three seasons cleaning house and doing away with nearly every piece of talent this crack team of scouts had brought here for nearly a decade prior, it’s almost inconceivable that he hasn’t brought in his own team of evaluators.

But nevertheless, I like a lot of what Shanahan has done to help this team in the talent department since he's been here.

Am I ecstatic about RGIII? Of course I am.

Am I thrilled with our 6th round pick out of Florida Atlantic, Alfred Morris? Without question.

Cofield? Love him.

Bowen? Same.

But it seems for every reliable Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan, there is an unaccountable Tim Hightower or Jamal Brown – promising players at skill positions that we’ve banked our seasons on who can’t stay on the field.

Now, I don’t fault Shanahan for having to bargain hunt, as I believe many grossly underestimate just how badly Vinny & Danny had/have screwed this franchise in terms of picks and cap, but for all of his shopping, at some point he’s got to start finding some healthy product, because it would seem other teams are doing more with perceivably less – namely the Colts, who presently sit 5-3 with an interim head coach, a rookie QB and a roster full of nobodies.

If he is, in fact, the true GM, Shanny has to start finding guys who are not only capable of playing at a high level, but able to survive week-in and week-out in this league, because just as much as depth, durability has become a clear area for concern for this football team.

In my opinion, it’s less about the talent and more about the durability of this squad. If this team under Shanahan is ever going to win, his players have to stay healthy and on the field one way or another.

Because whether it's bad scouting or bad luck, it isn't going to save his job come this time next year.

I'm editing to state that personally I'm willing to stay the course until said time comes to "evaluate talent" again.

Last edited by Skinzerdie; 11-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Mechanix544
The Starter

excuses excuses excuses. Too bad excuses don't have a sharp point, rounded edges and a wooden handle.

Then Shanahan could use them to dig himself out of his 3-6 hole.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I don't think it's that big a deal that Slowik hasn't coached LBs before, it's not uncommon for coaches to move around within positions on the same side of the field. It's probably a bigger deal that he's just generally not seen as a great coach. Why that is I don't know. I think it also doesn't help that Spanos and Olivadotti before then were so tight with their unit just in terms of personality and Slowik not as much. But I mean I've never heard that Slowik is a bad or distant person. For whatever reason, Shanahan likes keeping him around. I suspect that won't happen for long

As for the scouting department not changing, what exactly is he talking about. Several scouts have been added/re-assigned. Is Lombardi talking about Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell. I guess I could see his point there. But Brown is highly regarded league wide (and loved by Dan Snyder, which doesn't hurt) and Campbell has been there since Marty and is the perfect foot soldier. Plus, maybe if Vinny listened to some of his suggestions (draft Jordy not Malcolm) things might be a bit different today.

I know, well we all know I think, that Doug Williams very nearly came here back in 2010 but would that be better than what we have today?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
HTTR247
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't think it's that big a deal that Slowik hasn't coached LBs before, it's not uncommon for coaches to move around within positions on the same side of the field. It's probably a bigger deal that he's just generally not seen as a great coach. Why that is I don't know. I think it also doesn't help that Spanos and Olivadotti before then were so tight with their unit just in terms of personality and Slowik not as much. But I mean I've never heard that Slowik is a bad or distant person. For whatever reason, Shanahan likes keeping him around. I suspect that won't happen for long

As for the scouting department not changing, what exactly is he talking about. Several scouts have been added/re-assigned. Is Lombardi talking about Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell. I guess I could see his point there. But Brown is highly regarded league wide (and loved by Dan Snyder, which doesn't hurt) and Campbell has been there since Marty and is the perfect foot soldier. Plus, maybe if Vinny listened to some of his suggestions (draft Jordy not Malcolm) things might be a bit different today.

I know, well we all know I think, that Doug Williams very nearly came here back in 2010 but would that be better than what we have today?
Morrocco is definitely held in high regard by the Redskins and the league. We talk to Lombardi a lot, he thinks we can add more bodies and more talent in the personnel department. He didn't single out any weak links but was pretty clear we can do better.

He felt pretty strongly that Shanahan needs someone to help him in that GM role so he has someone to bounce things off of. I guess you can say he could do that with Brown or Campbell and achieve the same thing.

As far the Romeo Crennel and Ron Rivera info.. They have not really focused in on one guy from what i've heard so far. The Romeo/Rivera info is more relevant because they are already looking for Hasletts replacement and most people know those names.

There has been a list building for awhile that includes lesser know guys, unless your football nerds, that list includes John Pagano , Vance Joseph, Darren Perry and a few others. I had talked about the lesser known names over twitter the past few weeks so didn't go into them again. Rah is still in the mix but I just don't think it happens even if Bruce loves him and thinks he will be a head coach again.

* All of the above wasn't intended for you Smoot, tried to answer everyone in one post HTTR
Closed Thread