Fake WR screen

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #31
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Fake WR screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Is that going to be a better possibility since the 2010 season might be uncapped?

Also, don't you think Snyder truly believes we are just a few pieces away from a deep playoff run? That we're almost there?
I don't get your first question, better possibility than what?

As for the second, I believe that it doesn't really matter. Snyder is much less involved than people continue to want to believe.

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #32
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't get your first question, better possibility than what?

As for the second, I believe that it doesn't really matter. Snyder is much less involved than people continue to want to believe.
Is the possibility of being more involved with free agency this year helped by the fact that 2010 could be an uncapped year? I'll bet that's part of their thinking. I'm in favor of ending the salary cap, by the way.

According to Vinny on his radio show yesterday, he is in constant contact with Dan Snyder "many, many, many, times" throughout the day.

I think that in the days of JKC, or with other owners 20 years ago, they weren't as involved as they are now. I think across the league, owners today devote much more attention to their teams than they used to.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Is the possibility of being more involved with free agency this year helped by the fact that 2010 could be an uncapped year? I'll bet that's part of their thinking. I'm in favor of ending the salary cap, by the way.

According to Vinny on his radio show yesterday, he is in constant contact with Dan Snyder "many, many, many, times" throughout the day.

I think that in the days of JKC, or with other owners 20 years ago, they weren't as involved as they are now. I think across the league, owners today devote much more attention to their teams than they used to.
You could be right about the salary cap thing, I haven't given it much thought.

And I probably should have used the word "intrusive" He's definitely involved and gives his opinion and yes he is constant contact with several of his businesses regularly. What I meant though is that for the most part he allows his people to do their job the way they best see fit. He used to be a lot more about "do it this way because I want that" Not so much anymore. Or so I'm told
Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
The system works, but it would be easier to install and adjust it if Zorn had more coaches that know it like:

Jeremy Bates
Quarterbacks
/ + (Assistant Offensive Coordinator?)

Jeremy Bates enters his third season on the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff in 2008 and serves as the club’s quarterbacks coach. Bates, who was Denver’s wide receivers/quarterbacks coach last season, owns six years of coaching experience in the NFL and worked with the New York Jets (2005) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002-04) before joining the Broncos in 2006.

DenverBroncos.com – Official Website Of The Denver Broncos
^^Dang. It looks like Bates got an extension.
There really aren't that many good WCO assistants/qb coaches w/ experience. I hope Vinnie and Zorn are on the look out. Hiring WCO coaches and assistants will be key to the success of the offense next year.

Adam Schefter
Broncos keep QBs coach Bates away from Vols
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter

When he took the University of Tennessee head coaching job, Lane Kiffin turned to the assistants he knew and trusted most. He turned to those in his family and in his former division.

Not only did Kiffin hire his father Monte Kiffin, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator, but he also attempted to lure Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, one of the top young offensive assistants in the game, out of Denver.

Bates was said to have seriously considered Kiffin’s offer, but eventually opted to stay in Denver, where the Broncos gave him a raise and an extension.

Denver views the 32-year-old Bates, a former assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets, as an invaluable resource for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. Bates is a strong thinker with superb strategic knowledge of the game.

He’ll need plenty of it if Denver has a chance of upsetting San Diego on Sunday night for the AFC West title and a playoff spot.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #35
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I remember Gibbs calling a fake WR screen to Santana Moss in the playoff game at Tampa Bay in '05. Moss took a step forward, then quickly shifted back behind the line of scrimmage to appear as though the pass was coming for him -- this drew in the Buc defender -- then he turned upfield as Brunell lofted a pass to him, but it fell incomplete. I've wondered why with as many flanker screens that we run, that Zorn hasn't called for this at least once.

Then again, I wonder why we don't run more play-action passes. It's one of the many things that makes me realize Zorn is still learning how to call plays.
Campbell would have 2 sacks recorded on him before he had the chance to throw.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #36
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Anyways, we still have a bit to find out how successful this project we've got on our hands will be. I think that Zorn needs to take a bit of the load off of himself, he's just got too many things that he's not used to. He's not the guy that's used to making certain adjustments, or at least calling for them, as well as many other duties that the coach has to take on. A bit of help underneath him (and a mentor wouldn't be bad either, a WCO one that is) wouldn't be bad, as they'd be experienced more in this and knowing how to give roles out to the players.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #37
dmek25
MVP

Campbell ran the west coast his senior year in auburn. this was his most successful year as a qback. who was Auburn's offensive coordinator? lets get him here, pronto( if that's the offense we are going to run )
Old 12-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #38
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Campbell ran the west coast his senior year in auburn. this was his most successful year as a qback. who was Auburn's offensive coordinator? lets get him here, pronto( if that's the offense we are going to run )
Al Borges, but he just got hired as the OC for San Diego State.

There some WCO coaches and assisants out there but if they don't act soon they probably won't bring anyone in at all.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote