Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Any UVA football fans here?

Other Sports

Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #31
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: Any UVA football fans here?

One of the main problems many cite is that Groh is actually TOO much like an NFL coach, and not a NCAA coach. Coaching the team and the kids like that usually doesnt work, unless you have some really smart/talented guys.

UVA usually doesnt recruit well/ has too high academic standards to achieve that.

Advertisements
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
KLHJ2
Inactive

A couple of guys that I went to HS with played for UVA. My HS even took a trip there to see the facilities on the way to play GW Danville in the VHSL State Quarter Finals. As for me I always wanted to go to VA Tech and I used to make several trips down there a year to see my girlfriends. I never ended up going there but I fell in love with the school, the town, and the football team. This was 4 years before they blew up and went to their first National Championship game. The only time I have a problem with UVA is the final game of the year and its a rivalry thing, not a hate thing.

I seriously hate only 2 teams, Miami and Georgia Tech.

Edit: Here are Danville's results from 1996. Can you gess which team I played for?

RESULTS-1996

Last edited by KLHJ2; 10-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #33
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
I'm actually a fan of both UVA and Va Tech. I grew up rooting for UVA but my family is from Blacksburg and my dad lives there now. Living in Richmond, of course, there are more Tech fans than UVA fans w/ their recent success. I can honestly say that Tech fans are more crappy to UVA fans than vice versa. But hey, maybe you know some snobby UVA fans.
hooskins is really honestly one of the few uva fans ive met who has been down to earth and not snobby. pretty much everyone who goes to uva that was my friend, even my best friend who went to uva, is very snobby. if they lose to us, they say they dont care about football because academics is what really matters and just call us rednecks (i went to tech). certainly not everyone does this but ive been to uva many times, mainly to the fraternities, and this is the kind of banter that goes on. to be completely honest tech has every right to talk down to uva in terms of football. we have beat them down for years now. but like i said, its not everyone at uva, certainly not hooskins, but ive experienced my fair share of snobby people there.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #34
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
One of the main problems many cite is that Groh is actually TOO much like an NFL coach, and not a NCAA coach. Coaching the team and the kids like that usually doesnt work, unless you have some really smart/talented guys.

UVA usually doesnt recruit well/ has too high academic standards to achieve that.

Hooskins don't those two statements contradict each other. I'm just giving you a hard time because your a UVA fan. You do know when I called them snooby I'm not talking about everyone who went to UVA.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #35
Big C
Mr. Brightside

funny thing about the excuse that uva has too high academic standards to recruit well, is if you look at rivals.com, the main recruiting website, most of the tech commitments were also offered by virginia as well. they offer many of the same players, kids just dont want to play for uva right now. uva used to out recruit tech not that long ago, just a lame excuse now that the program is failing miserably. ive heard every lame excuse in the book. ive heard because tech has more students they have more money to recruit. yet uva's endowment is over 3 BILLION more than tech's. it doesnt boil down to uva having top notch academics for their failure, its bad coaching, plain and simple.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #36
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Canes.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Cavs are going to name Mike London (Richmond) as their next head coach. Nice choice, he's an impressive person
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #38
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

UVA has a football team?!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #39
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Seriously, Wahoo fans I live near Charlottesville so I have seen the suffering on UVA fans' faces, it looks somewhat similar to us Skins fans' faces.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #40
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
funny thing about the excuse that uva has too high academic standards to recruit well, is if you look at rivals.com, the main recruiting website, most of the tech commitments were also offered by virginia as well. they offer many of the same players, kids just dont want to play for uva right now. uva used to out recruit tech not that long ago, just a lame excuse now that the program is failing miserably. ive heard every lame excuse in the book. ive heard because tech has more students they have more money to recruit. yet uva's endowment is over 3 BILLION more than tech's. it doesnt boil down to uva having top notch academics for their failure, its bad coaching, plain and simple.
~~~~~~~
I am glad schools have high academic standards because lets face it, 95% of these guys are not going to play on Sundays. I am a long suffering Duke fan and their issue much like UVA's has been there has not been much of a plan nor solid coaching which has cause their football program to be average to below average since the late 80's.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #41
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Cavs are going to name Mike London (Richmond) as their next head coach. Nice choice, he's an impressive person
he is a good coach, he was always the most likely to go there. he is the safe hire, for sure, just thought they should have looked at a tuberville or the like, some big name.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #42
FRPLG
MVP

He isn't the best coach in the CAA...hell he isn't the best coach from VA in the CAA.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #43
redsk1
The Starter

I like ML and he might be a great coach for UVA but I'm not sold on him. I'm optimistic, but I would have preferred Troy Calhoun. Troy's got history in the old Air Force offense and w/ Jim Grobe at Wake Forest. He's also had a major turnaround at AF which is to be commended.

ML, great guy, but I don't always put alot of stock, in having success w/ other coaches players. He can recruit though and he does have ties to the VA area.

I'm rooting for the guy to get it done though. I'm ready to see some good UVA football now.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #44
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i think golden from temple would have been a better hire personally, hes a former uva guy as well. he has really turned temple around. but london was the easy choice.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Kansas reportedly talking with Turner Gill...who I've touted here before.