Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Redskins Meetup

VIP trip to the OTA's Thursday, last voluntary camp day 2010

Redskins Meetup

Old 06-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

VIP trip to the OTA's Thursday, last voluntary camp day 2010

Well sport fans had a treat this week. Had a special VIP invite to attend a closed session of Thursday's the last voluntary day of OTA's at Redskin Park this week. There where only ~50 invited for the final day.

It was a great time to say the very least.

One thing that was very clear Coach Shanny is in FULL control of everything going on at practice and he reminded me a lot of a earlier version of Joe Gibbs.

This was a very fast paced and exciting practice. A few observations:

Haslett has these guys sold on the 34 and the execution was well done. We have a very talented group, with or without Fat Al., there where to many standout players to mention. The DB's are attacking the ball, when the WR's are making catch's the DB's are swinging to get the rock out and Tana had two back to back slants that were both punched out. On the second he got up and screamed F*CK! I was very pleased to see this kind of progression so early on. It was VERY SPIRITED! The team is flying.

The O-Line looks sharp as well, very together Trent Willliams is a total stud! This kid will impress right away.

The Yellow shirts McNabb/ Rex looked sharp. Bartel and Colt looked behind, Colt looked futher behind on Thursday to me even more as the wind picked up.

Two minute drills where great to watch with the coachs off the field. Of course the D is a little bit ahead of the Offense. But highly spirited again! With 2 point conversions as well, with good excution.

The team as it stands a few players that stood out Thursday: T. Williams, Armstrong, Davis, Furrey, Kelly, Moore, L. Johnson, RACK.

Didn't stand out or looked off: Tana, Rogers, Tyron, Colt.

Out of action, not on the field: CP, Carter, LL, Rocky, Rino, Fat AL.

Had a nice time talking to the players/Coach/GM all that I spoke to are stoked on the changes and progress. Notable conversation's Bruce Allen, Coach Shanny (Has very big expectations for this season!) Chris Samuels, Rack, Fletch, Draft, Maake, Blades and a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Was treated to a great luncheon as well. First class all the way.

There where not to be any camera's as per Coach (Until we spoke to him and he said no problem...). But was able to smuggle and get 20 shots or so of the action and Player Coaching staff interaction. Will have to post a few pix.

We have the manditorys coming up Wednesday not sure about any open to public this season? Have any of you folks made it out this season on invite or will you if public sessions?
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: VIP trip to the OTA's Thursday, last voluntary camp day 2010

Nice! Good inside info. Thanks for the post skinsfan_nn. I'm jealous. I'd love to have that kind of inside look at the team.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Excellent reporting skinsfan!

I don't think you mentioned Carriker...any insight there?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

That's awesome. Not so great about Rogers and Tryon not looking sharp. Because I've also not heard good things this spring about Barnes either. Still early though
Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Very good info, well done.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
53Fan
Franchise Player

Great stuff skinsfan nn! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That's awesome. Not so great about Rogers and Tryon not looking sharp. Because I've also not heard good things this spring about Barnes either. Still early though
Swiping at balls is not a pretty sight for the general public!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I can only handle so man reports like that before I stroke out.....waiting for the sesason to....START!
Thanx Skinsfan
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Right, some guys are gonna have off days. We'll be able to tell alot more at camp where we can judge over the course of a a couple months...

Good to hear Trent Williams looking solid though.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

No problem guys, glad I could give some insight. On such a wonderful and treat special invite.

Goat, I dropped the ball...he was actually in my thinking process when I was typing along on the looked good list. Just forgot to plug his name in.

Carriker looked in great shape as well as seemed to understand the Defensive 34 scheme very well, he really stuck out. In a good way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Excellent reporting skinsfan!

I don't think you mentioned Carriker...any insight there?
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Awesome man, glad to hear it.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Good info thanks skinsfan nn
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
johno
Impact Rookie

thanks skinnsfan nn, what an awesome opportunity.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Hey great post, thanks a lot for this. We got more from this one post than Jason Reid has been able to give us all offseason!

To your eye, did it look like McNabb and Rex were getting the ball out in a timely fashion? Or were they pulling a Jason Campbell where they wait until the player's out of his break to throw the ball? Because that to me always indicates how well a QB understands the offense.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Hey thanks guys. No problem glad to share the day.

Both Rex/McNabb where quick to delivery, no time standing around thinking it was all timing/scheme. Kyle was very involved he knows exactly what he wants and made it clear that was understood when a mistake was made.

Rex clearly has been in Kyles system for some time and was noticeably very sharp in what Kyle wants. Very quick to deliver and very accurate. I was very pleasantly surprised in his abilities, he looked the sharper of the two for the first part of the day.

McNabb was a fuzz off, no hesitation, just wasn't hitting early on with a high percentage of completions (Accuracy: behind the WR that where in full stride, over the Top, a little long) but as the day progressed he improved and even scrambled a bit on design then would zip the ball down field. His long ball got honed in, when he got on track his long ball comes out pretty quick and hit the mark. As well as when they had goal line drills his fade and slant throws about perfect. Kelly can play great jump ball with outstanding hands, hope we see it in the regular season.

All in all both these guys and what they are being asked to do on this day did well and it appeared to come natural. No big long over thinking, waiting for the perfect pass to develop process involved. So there where no Jason Campbells on the field at least with Rex and McNabb. Which was great to see. McNabb is well on his way to fully understanding and working hard to get this Offense down. Rex was a suprise, he has clearly worked hard with Kyle and can excute this Offense pretty effectively now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Hey great post, thanks a lot for this. We got more from this one post than Jason Reid has been able to give us all off season!

To your eye, did it look like McNabb and Rex were getting the ball out in a timely fashion? Or were they pulling a Jason Campbell where they wait until the player's out of his break to throw the ball? Because that to me always indicates how well a QB understands the offense.