Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Been a while since I really studied the Redskins salary cap and contract situation. Seems more appropriate to do so this year given the ongoing penalty the team is absorbing from the NFL's decision to penalize for actions taken in the uncapped season.

Information shown here is sourced from the great Crazy Canuck's salary cap information housed here on The Warpath. A close study of the salary cap numbers can yield insight into possible offseason moves. It's certainly proven insightful in the past. I'll refine this as more information comes out.

UPDATED - March 9, 2013

All figures presented in millions.

2013 Redskins Cap Room (Overage) At Start: ($2.7)

Moves Made to Date:
Released Jamaal Brown $0.2
Resigned Darrell Young ($1.0) temporary assumption
Resigned Logan Paulsen ($0.5)

2013 Redskins Cap Room (Overage) Current: ($4.0)

Roster Cuts or Restructures:
DeAngelo Hall $7.5
Santana Moss $3.7
Josh Wilson $3.2
Adam Carriker $2.2
Maximum Cap Space Created through Cuts or Restructures: $16.6

Priority Resignings/Replacements:
Fred Davis or similar TE: ($2.5)
Kory Lichtensteiger: ($2.5)
Lorenzo Alexander: ($1.8)
Nick Sundberg or similar LS: ($0.3)
Rob Jackson: ($1.6)
Sav Rocca or similar P: ($0.4)
Tyler Polumbus: ($1.1)
Cap Space Required for Resignings/Replacements ($10.2)

Rookie Pool Impact ($0.5)

Anticipated Cap Space Available for Free Agency: $1.9

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 03-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Thanks Schneed. good information.

Certainly going to be more a quiet off season then Skins fans are used too.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Thanks Schneed. good information.

Certainly going to be more a quiet off season then Skins fans are used too.
Yeah, at least compared to the splashy Vinny days. But I like it that way. I'd like to see our important free agents brought back, including Meriweather. And at the RT spot, which is the most troubling spot in my mind, try to get a player in the 2nd round of the draft or bring back Polumbus as a last resort.

We're on a good long-term track. I'd like to keep the financial future stable and secure, and just allow the team to come back healthier and continue to grow together. I don't need a free agent.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I wish the league execs would split the penalty one more time. I think if next years cap is flat as well they could get the nfloas signoff again, and shrink all the team portions this year and give the skins and boys the next 2 years to deal with it. but I haven't even heard of that as an option, so just wishful thinking.

the more realistic option is to move about 9million off by restructures, I would think TW and Garcon would both be good candidates for that. that would effectively split the penalty between this year and next, and allow us to get one good FA signing.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I wish the league execs would split the penalty one more time. I think if next years cap is flat as well they could get the nfloas signoff again, and shrink all the team portions this year and give the skins and boys the next 2 years to deal with it. but I haven't even heard of that as an option, so just wishful thinking.
When they came up with the penalty, and this is just my conjecture here, but I think they said the penalty needs to hit over two years because of rules that were in place regarding how dead money could be handled. When you cut a player after June 1, you basically spread his dead cap money over two years. The $36 million was mostly comprised of Haynesworth dead money. I think the idea of the penalty was to force us to pay the piper for Haynesworth's deal like we would have under normal cap rules. So I think Mara and the other owners would probably want to stick to that logic.

Quote:
the more realistic option is to move about 9million off by restructures, I would think TW and Garcon would both be good candidates for that. that would effectively split the penalty between this year and next, and allow us to get one good FA signing.
Agree, this is totally a possibility. I hope the new Redskins insiders are able to get as much contract news in February as JLC was always able to.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

How would restructures affect Trent and Pierre's bottom line as far as earnings? Because TW had his best season as a pro and proved he's a top flight LT, and Pierre's value to the team was obvious given our record with and without him in the starting lineup. They are both holding the cards as far as financial leverage goes.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I would also add that no, it doesn't mean it will be a quiet offseason, since last year we were hit with the penalty and we still got Garcon and Morgan and all these other guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I would also add that no, it doesn't mean it will be a quiet offseason, since last year we were hit with the penalty and we still got Garcon and Morgan and all these other guys.
Well, I believe last year we were able to roll over a substantial amount of unused cap from the previous year which mitigated it, and we were looking to be very well off if we hadn't had the penalty. This year, with the cap looking to stay flat, and all the contracts growing, even if just a little, leaves us in a much less appealing spot, as the OP shows.

I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It forces us to focus mainly on internal development, and I think our team has several players who could step up a level this year.

From the perspective of grooming Dan Snyder for the long term ownership, I would like to think this forced austerity reinforces that big splurge spendings have consequences, so that he is less likely to go back to those ways whenever BA/MS leave.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
How would restructures affect Trent and Pierre's bottom line as far as earnings? Because TW had his best season as a pro and proved he's a top flight LT, and Pierre's value to the team was obvious given our record with and without him in the starting lineup. They are both holding the cards as far as financial leverage goes.
Yeah they have no reason to agree to reduce the $ coming to them, and absolutely would not do so. Restructures would amount to moving base salary to guaranteed bonus - either way they still get their money.

New cap rules prevent this from being as effective at clearing space as it had been prior to the new CBA. But it can still clear some space.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
The key difference there was we were going into the offseason with something like $35 million in cap space before the penalty hit. This year, we have about $13 million in space without the penalty. Layer in the penalty and we're $5 million over.

As mentioned, there are ways to clear space to make room for a free agent or two. But it's highly unlikely to be a spending spree, especially given this regime's tendency to exercise financial discretion.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
bigant
Special Teams

Angry Re: Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

so once again we get screwed,wonderful ,how awesome would it be if we had the 18 miilion cap room ,just a long time suffering and frustrated skins fan.havce to make a splash after next season ,need to take the next big step up.........
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Evilgrin
The Starter

No way we cut Josh Wilson, best corner we have by far.

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

With RGIII personality, it would not surprise me if restructures his contract. He is about the team.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
With RGIII personality, it would not surprise me if restructures his contract. He is about the team.
Restructures actually help the player, so I dont understand this comment.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant View Post
so once again we get screwed,wonderful ,how awesome would it be if we had the 18 miilion cap room ,just a long time suffering and frustrated skins fan.havce to make a splash after next season ,need to take the next big step up.........
I think it should be clear that had we played out the Hall/AH contracts the way they were written, we would be in this same shape, so it's not like it's all "blame the NFL". BA and MS tried a clever way to get out of some really bad contracts, and once the league could without repercussions they made the bills come due.