Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Re: Redskins 2013 Salary Cap Status

Ahhhh my favorite thread of the year is back... feels like spring training.

Great work Schneed. Haven't had time to analyze but I'm sure you've covered the important decisions facing the Skins in 2013.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Defensewins
Playmaker

Crazy Canuck and/or Schneed, does guaranteeing money on a players long term contract give some cap relief or discount off the cap? I thought there was some kind of deal like that.?.?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I can't figure out what is, or will happen. I keep looking at it this way.... I have a full glass of water, I pour out all the water to create $36 mill in space, the NFL cries foul and says I can't do that, so they take $18 mill (so fill your glass up half way with water), the second $18 mill will be taken this year (2013), the Redskins went out and picked up a few new pieces to the puzzle to the sum of $18 mill (now fill the glass the rest of the way to the top with water).

So here is where my problem lies.... we are not going to have to get $18 mill back under the CAP because the team is not giving away (or penalized) $18 mill in CAP space, so they must be having to pay $18 mill in cash (as a penalty) for getting below the CAP illegally (in the NFL's eyes). But why would the team have to shell $36 mill out? the players were due that money, the players recieved their money. The $36 mill was already shelled out to the players.

So the question I guess is will the Skins have their CAP space set $18 mill below everyone else who will be allowed close to $120 mill? are we not supposed to go over $90 mill as a penalty for this year?

What I'm guessing is happening is the Skins got below the CAP by $36 mill to help out in Free Agency, the NFL decided to make the Skins pay a monitary penalty for getting below the CAP by $36 mill. So not only did the Skins pay out $36 mill to the players to either restructure them or cut them the NFL is fining the team another $36 mill. So in reality the team will have payed out $76 mill for two players. The players got their money, and the NFL will get their money to proportionally hand out to all the other NFL owners to use on what? paying off salaries of their players? paying their electricity bill for their stadiums? to restructure their stadiums? etc. etc.?

I get the fine, I don't get how we pay it out? it's not going to effect us CAP wise I would presume, it's not going to effect us fans except for paying higher ticket prices or parking prices to pay off DS's little scam, I would guess it would hinder our team CAP wise if the NFL said that our CAP for this year will be $18 mill less then the rest of the league in order to make it more difficult to sign free agents. plus the team would have to find a way to get down to the $90 mill.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Woah what?

The team lost $36M in cap room over 2 years. There is no fine or penalty in addition to that.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Crazy Canuck and/or Schneed, does guaranteeing money on a players long term contract give some cap relief or discount off the cap? I thought there was some kind of deal like that.?.?
Yes that's generally how a restructure works. We push some money from this year to future years to give us cap relief. We have a few guys we could do this with but probably not as many as previous years.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Woah what?

The team lost $36M in cap room over 2 years. There is no fine or penalty in addition to that.
No what I'm basically saying is I'm not understanding how the Redskins are supposed to repay the penalty? CAP space? money?

I was simply trying to say that if the NFL took away $36 mill in CAP (space) then the most we should have been able to spend is $98 mill for this year. If the CAP is set at $120 mill minus our $18 mill penalty should put us at $98 mill. My math was bad in the other post. So while the other teams are able to spend up to $120 mill our penatly only would allow us to spend up to $98 mill for this year.

Otherwise.... the team got below last years CAP by $36 mill, paid those players their contract, cut Haynesworth and restructured Hall at a lower price and picked up two or three other players putting the team right back up to the CAP limit or close. I'm not saying $36 mill, or $18 for this year is chump change by any means. But here's my problem with what I figure is the answer..... DS gets fined, he's gotten rid of a player he does not want on the team, he's restructured another to a better contract, he's picked up more weapons, he's still able to restructure current players to get below the CAP for more players for this year, he raises ticket prices and parking fees and writes a check for $18 mill to the NFL. basically WE the FANS payed for that mistake by him raising fees. The team opporates as normal with CAP room/space and restructuring players in order to pick up more players.

It's like I tried the analogy approach earlier: if I have a glass of water I either don't like (Haynesworth) or don't want to drink all of (Hall) I can pour out the water and I have an empty glass to fill with something else (new players). The NFL cried foul and said no the team would take $18 mill (so fill the glass half way). Now the team only has a half a glass to fill with some form of liquid (players). But we all know the NFL is going to want to fill that second half of glass in 2013. Yet the team spent $18 mill bringing in Morgan, Garcon and whoever. So how is the other $18 mill going to get paid? Instead of having $36 mill under the CAP to play with the NFL took $18 so the team only had $18 mill to use, which by the way should not have been used since they are requesting our second half of the $36 mill this year.

In another example its not like a team that goes over the CAP and get penalized, they take away draft picks, or fine the team a specific amount or both. However that does not effect their CAP status. By saying the Skins will have to pay $18 mill and it effect their CAP status then I would presume that the team now must get below some imaginary number ($18 mill) below whatever the CAP is for this year possibly $120 mill.

I hope someone understands what I'm not getting. lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
No what I'm basically saying is I'm not understanding how the Redskins are supposed to repay the penalty? CAP space? money?

I was simply trying to say that if the NFL took away $36 mill in CAP (space) then the most we should have been able to spend is $98 mill for this year. If the CAP is set at $120 mill minus our $18 mill penalty should put us at $98 mill. My math was bad in the other post. So while the other teams are able to spend up to $120 mill our penatly only would allow us to spend up to $98 mill for this year.

Your math is still bad. $120 mil - $18 mil = $102 mil.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
SBXVII
Franchise Player

My long arse story short if the NFL said we are being penalized the $36 mill, and the team is over the CAP now or right at it, after the NFL already took $18 mill last year, I would presume then that the team is going to have to get $18 mill below whatever the CAP is to repay the second $18 mill.

I'll try another analogy: Beer Pong...lol. lets say I have 36 red solo cups on a table with 36 ping pong balls inside. I'm not happy with the ping pong balls so I throw all of them away. Now you come along and say "you can't do that". So you take 18 of my red solo cups away from me and plan to take away the other 18 later. But I go out and fill those cups with 18 ping pong balls..... how do you get paid the other 18 cups? One would presume I would have to give you those cups. Mean while all the other owners have 36 cups plus now my cups added to their stash?

I know I'm being an idiot about this somehow. and it probably has been answered 1000000 times.

What I'm worried about is we fans not accounting for the $18 mill penalty, not minusing it from the over all CAP for this year per team and then seeing how far over our penalty we are and how much we have to reduce salaries or get below?

For some reason I just keep forseeing the team being well over what they need to be since they owe the $18 mill. What was last years CAP? what is the Skins CAP right now? and what does the team need to do to get below or repay the $18 this year? The OP showed us how we could get $19 below the CAP but is that for the penalty or after the penalty?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

From what I remember about the cap penalty, we could split up that money however we wanted over the two years. Were we able to pay more than 18M last year or were we right up against the cap then too?

I could be wrong on this, but I thought we could do 20 then 16 if we wanted, etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
From what I remember about the cap penalty, we could split up that money however we wanted over the two years. Were we able to pay more than 18M last year or were we right up against the cap then too?

I could be wrong on this, but I thought we could do 20 then 16 if we wanted, etc.
I suppose we could have done that, but i think our initial response was to try to push it all (or most of it) into 2013, while we tried to overturn it, but the league mandated the 18/18 split.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am confused by the confusion. Seems pretty clear to me. Our cap last year was 18M less than whatever the league wide "Cap Number" was determined by formula. Same again this year (which appears to make it 102M).
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

SBXVII,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are way overthinking this.

Quote:
From the Warpath Salary Page(my edits in italics):
Currently assigned player totals
$107,741
Salary Cap (assumed)
$120,600
Cap Penalty
$(18,000)

Projected Cap Shortage
$(5,141)
So 107,741+18 = 125,741 projected redskins assigned expenses
120,600 = projected cap allowed number
therefore the Skins are 5,141M over right now

The 18Mill is just a number on a spreadsheet. DS didn't pay it out of his pocket per se. In fact you could say since his available cap is less he may have less cash outlay so his need to raise prices might be less. Personally I don't the two have any connection, but it seemed like you were looking at it like a pass the penalty onto the fans type deal, and that's not right at all.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Holy F
Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
My long arse story short if the NFL said we are being penalized the $36 mill, and the team is over the CAP now or right at it, after the NFL already took $18 mill last year, I would presume then that the team is going to have to get $18 mill below whatever the CAP is to repay the second $18 mill.

I'll try another analogy: Beer Pong...lol. lets say I have 36 red solo cups on a table with 36 ping pong balls inside. I'm not happy with the ping pong balls so I throw all of them away. Now you come along and say "you can't do that". So you take 18 of my red solo cups away from me and plan to take away the other 18 later. But I go out and fill those cups with 18 ping pong balls..... how do you get paid the other 18 cups? One would presume I would have to give you those cups. Mean while all the other owners have 36 cups plus now my cups added to their stash?

I know I'm being an idiot about this somehow. and it probably has been answered 1000000 times.

What I'm worried about is we fans not accounting for the $18 mill penalty, not minusing it from the over all CAP for this year per team and then seeing how far over our penalty we are and how much we have to reduce salaries or get below?

For some reason I just keep forseeing the team being well over what they need to be since they owe the $18 mill. What was last years CAP? what is the Skins CAP right now? and what does the team need to do to get below or repay the $18 this year? The OP showed us how we could get $19 below the CAP but is that for the penalty or after the penalty?
You're way over thinking this.

You have $20 to spend this week, and $20 to spend next week. I come along and take $10 from you this week and next. How much do you have to spend each week?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You're way over thinking this.

You have $20 to spend this week, and $20 to spend next week. I come along and take $10 from you this week and next. How much do you have to spend each week?
Exactly. It's simple.

It's not a fine, it's a penalty. We don't have to pay anything. Our cap space got reduced, so we can pay our players by $36 million less than we otherwise would have. The rest of the league gets a piece of that $36 million added to their cap, so they get more space, offsetting our loss in space.

So the players on a league-wide basis are kept whole.