Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #196
Burgold
Special Teams

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

A great human interest story of courage, with that said Alex should retire and not press his luck, let's face it he's never gonna be what he was in the pocket so just walk away and coach.
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #197
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgold View Post
A great human interest story of courage, with that said Alex should retire and not press his luck, let's face it he's never gonna be what he was in the pocket so just walk away and coach.
Alex just did the unthinkable. He can do whatever the F he wants in my book.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #198
rocnrik
Playmaker

The only real positive story dealing with this franchise in like 20 years !
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #199
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgold View Post
He didn't work 2 years for 2 quarters and 37 yards.

That's also just the beginning, not the end of his capabilities. We
ll see him again this season and he'll be more like the Alex Smith we've watched for 15 years.

I'm not judging him on being thrown into his first game, in the rain, against the best defensive player in the game right now, without taking a hit for 2 years.

He survived, that's a big accomplishment right there and he can and will perform better as he gets back into the routine.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #200
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
This
Old 10-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #201
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
In an ideal world yes, but as far as playing QB in the NFL again, or at least starting, he's got a lot to prove, not just his ability to take hits. It's not up to him IF he can't play better than any of the 32 starting QB's in the league. But truth is, the fact he can play at all has taken that decision out of his own hands. The team could (and arguably should) have released him last year, but they stuck by him, and now it makes sense to at least keep him around until next year, when cutting him would give us a 'smaller' cap hit of, I believe, $10.4M.

But will he play well enough again, indeed especially here, to warrant keeping him on a starters salary? If we draft the new wunderkind, and logically keep Allen as backup, Smith would again be #3, assuming he couldn't become #1 or 2 in camp. We could hardly justify keeping a #3 let alone such an expensive one. But he's still not likely available to other teams until the spring, and he'll be 37 with little playing time in 3 years (assuming Allen doesn't get hurt again or shit the bed). Who's going to give him the chance to win the starters job at that age, with that lack of recent playing time? With the likely 2 or 3 top QB's in next years draft, there's going to be younger QB's available with a better portfolio of recent game film that can probably compete better for the #2 job, let alone starters. I just can't see a market for him unless he comes onto the field again this year and wow's us. And considering he hardly wowed us before the injury...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #202
Warthog
The Starter

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
In an ideal world yes, but as far as playing QB in the NFL again, or at least starting, he's got a lot to prove, not just his ability to take hits. It's not up to him IF he can't play better than any of the 32 starting QB's in the league. But truth is, the fact he can play at all has taken that decision out of his own hands. The team could (and arguably should) have released him last year, but they stuck by him, and now it makes sense to at least keep him around until next year, when cutting him would give us a 'smaller' cap hit of, I believe, $10.4M.

But will he play well enough again, indeed especially here, to warrant keeping him on a starters salary? If we draft the new wunderkind, and logically keep Allen as backup, Smith would again be #3, assuming he couldn't become #1 or 2 in camp. We could hardly justify keeping a #3 let alone such an expensive one. But he's still not likely available to other teams until the spring, and he'll be 37 with little playing time in 3 years (assuming Allen doesn't get hurt again or shit the bed). Who's going to give him the chance to win the starters job at that age, with that lack of recent playing time? With the likely 2 or 3 top QB's in next years draft, there's going to be younger QB's available with a better portfolio of recent game film that can probably compete better for the #2 job, let alone starters. I just can't see a market for him unless he comes onto the field again this year and wow's us. And considering he hardly wowed us before the injury...

Smith showed that he has little to offer as the backup. Even when he brought the team to 6-2 in 2018, defenses had finally figured how to stop him. Put “8 in the box” and daring Alex to throw long. They were crushing Alex when he got hurt in 2018 and this last game when he took 6 sacks. Of course, part of it is that our OL is full of holes. Glad to see Martin moved out as the LG.

Smith was rusty and may play again if Allen is hurt. It is interesting that Smith is exactly the same type of passer as BRUNNELL, who also was an aged QB who loved the dunk and dunk sort of pass games. Why do we keep bringing in guys like that? Because SNYDER was making the personnel decisions. He’s happy to win 5-6 wins, so he can say, “Winning is just around the corner”. That’s what you get with that sort of passer.

Smith probably will retire and perhaps coach like Zorn did. But he is WAY, WAY too expensive as a backup. On this team, he will be gone. He had a amazing comeback and he was a wonderful tutor to Haskins but the NFL of 2020 has passed him by. You need to be a great passer with excellent mobility for this league. That’s what we’ll draft next year in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 10-17-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #203
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Smith showed that he has little to offer as the backup. Even when he brought the team to 6-2, defenses figured how to stop him. Put “8 in the box” and daring Alex to throw long. They were crushing Alex when he got hurt in 2018 and this last game when he took 6 sacks. Of course, part of it is that our OL is full of holes. Glad to see Martin moved out as the LG.

Smith was rusty and may play again if Allen is hurt. It is interesting that Smith is exactly the same type of passer as BRUNNELL, who also was an aged QB who loved the dunk and dunk sort of pass games. Why do we keep bringing in guys like that? Because SNYDER was making the personnel decisions. He’s happy to win 5-6 wins, so he can say, “Winning is just around the corner”. That’s what you get with that sort of passer.

Smith probably will retire and perhaps coach like Zorn did. But he is WAY, WAY too expensive as a backup. On this team, he will be gone. He had a amazing comeback and he was a wonderful tutor to Haskins but the NFL of 2020 has passed him by. You need to be a great passer with excellent mobility for this league. That’s what we’ll draft next year in the draft.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about Brunell. He was one of my favorite players here, along with Stephen Davis, and Champ Bailey. Joe Gibbs' first year back in 2004 was obviously not successful, and Mark Brunell IMO bore a lot of the blame when it wasn't 100% his fault. Compare in 2005, what a great year he had. Over 3K yards passing, 23 TD's, and 10 INT's. He was throwing the ball downfield well. Remember those two bombs he throw to Santana Moss to beat the Cowboys? I'll never forget that game.

I'll still never know why they brought in Al Saunders and his 2 thousand page playbook in 2006. Joe Gibbs' offense was pretty good in 05'. But it made us suck, because nobody knew what they hell they were doing. Cooley has said it many times. Brunell had to go with the dink and dunk because it was the safe easy throw when nobody knew what else they were doing out on the field. I will always believe that Brunell was the scapegoat for an entire team that was underperforming.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:34 AM   #204
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about Brunell. He was one of my favorite players here, along with Stephen Davis, and Champ Bailey. Joe Gibbs' first year back in 2004 was obviously not successful, and Mark Brunell IMO bore a lot of the blame when it wasn't 100% his fault. Compare in 2005, what a great year he had. Over 3K yards passing, 23 TD's, and 10 INT's. He was throwing the ball downfield well. Remember those two bombs he throw to Santana Moss to beat the Cowboys? I'll never forget that game.

I'll still never know why they brought in Al Saunders and his 2 thousand page playbook in 2006. Joe Gibbs' offense was pretty good in 05'. But it made us suck, because nobody knew what they hell they were doing. Cooley has said it many times. Brunell had to go with the dink and dunk because it was the safe easy throw when nobody knew what else they were doing out on the field. I will always believe that Brunell was the scapegoat for an entire team that was underperforming.

You’re right, I forgot about that monster offensive playbook during the latter part of the Gibbs era. Even Tom Brady, the best QB of all-time, and who played 2 decades for the same team only had 800 plays for the Patriots. I think Gibbs felt that he had to bring in the best Offensive Coordinator and that this Uber-complex offensive plan would help Brunnell. It didn’t. I still think Brunnell had a real tendency at this late stage of his career to play it save and keep his passes short - hoping for lots of YAC.

But eventually defenses used the same program to stop Haskins, Smith and yes, even Brunnell (last year as a Redskin). They play “8 in the box” which jams the run and short passing game. The way to beat it if course is the throw it long and successfully a couple times. I’d like to see some long passes from Turner to open up the Giants and to keep them honest.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:46 AM   #205
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I’d like to see some long passes from Turner to open up the Giants and to keep them honest.
My memory isn't 💯, but I recall us opening up a game (season opener even?) With a beautiful PA pass for a TD, to I think it was Santana Moss. Something like that would set things up nicely.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #206
MTK
\m/

2 weeks ago this conversation didn't seem possible, but here we are

Rivera: Alex Smith has proven he is 'back', has chance to be the guy beyond 2020
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #207
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
2 weeks ago this conversation didn't seem possible, but here we are

Rivera: Alex Smith has proven he is 'back', has chance to be the guy beyond 2020
Good lord no
Old 11-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #208
MTK
\m/

If he keeps balling like he's been it's a legit discussion to be had. He's certainly proving to be a much better fit in Turner's offense than he ever was in Jay's. At the very least he can be a bridge to a rookie and take the pressure off having to get a QB in the top 5.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #209
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If he keeps balling like he's been it's a legit discussion to be had. He's certainly proving to be a much better fit in Turner's offense than he ever was in Jay's. At the very least he can be a bridge to a rookie and take the pressure off having to get a QB in the top 5.
I just don't see him holding up for a full season.. He has played well
Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #210
SunnySide
Playmaker

Cant lie ... Id be fine with Alex Smith in 2021, especially if we dont add a blue chip QB in the top end of the draft. Seems like there is Lawrence/Fields then Lance/Wilson.

Alex Smith seems to fit Turner's quick read/throw scheme and perhaps his legs and escapability comeback to him as he plays more.

The idea of keeping Alex Smith then being able to add a stud LT (Sewell/Darrisaw) or LB (Parsons) or CB (Surtain) is not a bad second result if we dont get Lawrence/Fields and are not sold on Lance/Wilson.

The current top 8 players of the draft fits our needs nicely. ^^ These guys mentioned above are the top 8 prospects and fit our need of QB, LT, CB or LB.

We have good options ... as long as we dont drop out of the top 8.