Medical/Recreational Marijuana thread

Parking Lot

Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Washington, D.C., Approves Medical Use of Marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Seriously it would eliminate drug dealers and we at least be able to receive some revenue from it.
You seriously believe that? It would increase the number of dealers. Pot isn't the only thing they sell anyways.

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You seriously believe that? It would increase the number of dealers. Pot isn't the only thing they sell anyways.

it wouldn't eliminate them. but not sure how it would increase them either.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

It would absolutely impact the black market. It's not the only thing dealers sell, but it probably represents the majority of it.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
mredskins
MVP

Quote:

Beer is legal and I have yet to meet a beer dealer in my neighborhood.

I should have said decreased the number of dealers and I was referring to pot only dealers.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Once Marlboro and the other tobacco companies got into the manufacturing side, and using their distributions sources, the true drug dealers would be pushed out of the low end drug use. They couldn't compete with the availability at the local liquor store, and who is gonna risk getting caught up with a "hard" drug dealer, when they can go into the liquor store just as easily for a quick buzz.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Once Marlboro and the other tobacco companies got into the manufacturing side, and using their distributions sources, the true drug dealers would be pushed out of the low end drug use. They couldn't compete with the availability at the local liquor store, and who is gonna risk getting caught up with a "hard" drug dealer, when they can go into the liquor store just as easily for a quick buzz.
And people will likely be allowed to grow a certain amount at home as well, totally eliminating the need for any outside source.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
And people will likely be allowed to grow a certain amount at home as well, totally eliminating the need for any outside source.

that's what i'm talkin about.
if they let Big Tobacco do it, they'll just load it up with chemicals and shit. no thanks. i'd grow my own or find friends that do it well and only get that stuff.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #23
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
it wouldn't eliminate them. but not sure how it would increase them either.
When it's allowed by the Government to deal, there will be no fears of the legal consequences to get into it.

Tax fraud will also rise if it is taxed. You honestly trust criminals like drug dealers to suddenly abide by tax laws when "allowed" to sell. Heck, there are legitimate businesses selling legal goods that cheat on taxes. All of this "extra revenue" won't be seen. The Government will spend more of our tax dollars trying to enforce their "legal drug sale" guidelines. I'm sure a new department will be formed to handle this new commerce.

Trusting Government is as smart as trusting drug dealers.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
When it's allowed by the Government to deal, there will be no fears of the legal consequences to get into it.

Tax fraud will also rise if it is taxed. You honestly trust criminals like drug dealers to suddenly abide by tax laws when "allowed" to sell. Heck, there are legitimate businesses selling legal goods that cheat on taxes. All of this "extra revenue" won't be seen. The Government will spend more of our tax dollars trying to enforce their "legal drug sale" guidelines. I'm sure a new department will be formed to handle this new commerce.

Again I see no "beer dealers" on the corner of my block plus every time I have bought beer I have been rung up the tax as well.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
MTK
\m/

Pot dealers will simply go by the wayside if it's legalized. There's not going to be any need for a black market once it's legalized and mass produced and sold in stores and cafes, or people growing in home gardens.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:

sure, "drug dealers" might still sell weed to their coke customers... but most weed smokers would gladly not deal with sketchy freaks who are still mixed up with coke/guns/whatever if they can just stop at the liquor store on their way home instead of having to call up some criminal and play phone tag and figure out where and when to meet him and all that BS.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #27
saden1
MVP

Good move...People get what they want...someone that's already into coke or meth will continue to ge their fixes....rec users will get theirs from 7-11. One thing for sure, 50 biliion dollar drug war is a complete failure.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Making it legal should carve into the profit margins of drug dealers, which in turn provides less incentive for folks to become one. Taxation is ok, but too much taxation could result in a black market.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
One thing for sure, 50 biliion dollar drug war is a complete failure.
And this one line for sure is one of the larger reasons why they haven't legalized it to date. They do not want the drug ware to be seen as a total and complete waste of time and money...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
well, while smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. MJ isn't just "not worse than tobacco" it doesn't contain nearly the amount of harmful chemicals, carcinogens and addictive ingredients. MJ has never killed anyone... how many thousands per day/week does cigs kill?

as for the gateway... what a myth. it's based on stuff like "what's the first drug you tried" answer is always MJ. of course. the fact that some cokehead or heroin junkie first tried "drugs" with MJ when they were 15 doesn't mean one led to the other.

how come ALCOHOL is never called a gateway drug? cuz really, most everyone starts their experimentation with inebriation by drinking. once you're out drinking/partying you are likely to end up in a position to start trying drugs. how many alcohol related deaths are there per year?

so yea, i dont smoke anymore... but i'm still a supporter.

This is stoner talk even if you dont smoke.

To say weed has never killed anyone is a absolute myth, especially when using the same logic that tobacco kills people via chemicals and carcinogens causing death from things like cancer. There are no chemicals or carcinogens in weed? And how many weed related deaths are there a year, would there be more if it were legal? People dont make poor choices when there high, or drive a car while there high?

Im personally all for legalizing it and think it will be a great thing when it happens. I do agree that it will dramatically reduce drug dealers and the drug trade and raise tax revenues, but more importantly, to me, it will give people the freedom to make decisions that affect their bodies themselves.

A long while ago I got a allergy test and it turns out im allergic to dust mites. So this doctor gives me some Flonase and says I should use it every day to combat my allergy. There was this girl I remembered from high school that used Afrin all time and was literately addicted to it (look it up). Also I think if you use Afrin too much you can even permanently harden normally soft nasal tissues and then have even more problems with congestion among other things. So I asked my doctor about this and it brought about a whole discussion. Pretty much everything used to be OTC back in the day and the FDA wasn’t around until about 100 years ago and they couldn’t/didn’t test things like they can/do now. So Flonase is a safe drug that can be used daily without addition or permanent long term negative effects, but there are potential interactions and side effects from it (all of which are much less substantial then potential negatives of Afrin), so it has to be regulated nowadays. Things like tylenol, advil, decongestions, and other drugs are over the counter because they have been around for a while, not because they are safer or less effective than other available prescription drugs. Remember when Claritin was available only by prescription, then it went OTC? It takes a long time for even the safest drugs to be OTC. Seriously think about it why in the hell should all these drugs be only available by prescription? Who is going to abuse Claritin or Flonase? So I guess my point is why are people unable to make decisions for themselves, whether it be to smoke weed and combat some dust mites with Flonase, or drink a beer and help relieve a headache with some advil? Its all pretty ridiculous when you think about the over regulation especially when it comes to our own bodies.