WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #1501
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
It's looking more and more like Jones at 19 would be a good pick. I'm not sure he'll be there though. If not, I hope they load up on WR, O-line, DB/LB in rounds 1-3 and maybe get Mond or Newman in the 4th.
I don't think he'll be there. This is a good year to not need a QB. Some really good players will get bumped down a few spots from where they should be picked based on talent.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #1502
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't think he'll be there. This is a good year to not need a QB. Some really good players will get bumped down a few spots from where they should be picked based on talent.
Yeah unfortunately we need one lol..

I bet they go the FA route, Mariota will most likely be the guy if they are serious about him as reported.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #1503
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I wouldn't mind going with Mariota/Heinicke/Allen next year and drafting a LT or the linebacker from Notre Dame or Tulsa.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #1504
MTK
\m/

Count me has a hard no on Mac Jones at 19. I just think there's bigger bang for your buck at that spot. Obviously QBs are overvalued but I just don't see him as the 19th best prospect in the draft.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #1505
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Count me has a hard no on Mac Jones at 19. I just think there's bigger bang for your buck at that spot. Obviously QBs are overvalued but I just don't see him as the 19th best prospect in the draft.
I'm not a hard no. A month ago I was. I don't know how he truly stacks up against the other "supposed" top 5-6 QB prospects. I have seen him ranked anywhere from #6 overall to in the 30s.

If they don't address QB in free agency though, and he's sitting there at 19 (doubtful), I'm not sure if they pass on him.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #1506
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I wouldn't mind going with Mariota/Heinicke/Allen next year and drafting a LT or the linebacker from Notre Dame or Tulsa.
I think we'd do fine with this as we build our team. The so-called franchise QB would be the steeple on top of the roof.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #1507
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Looks like Trask will definitely be there in the second round.
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #1508
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbosargos75 View Post
This right here. Although, I would label it as BPA (I would wait on a receiver) in the first round.
I’m not high on taking a first round WR. That’s traditionally, and especially this year, a very deep draft skill position and if you have a blue chip OT or LB available at 19, you have to take him over a WR.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 PM   #1509
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I agree.
But that isn't the question.
A true franchise QB is a bargain at #19 because it is such a high leverage position.
Do you honestly draft a stud MLB and not a guy you think is a franchise QB at #19?
That assumes Jones a franchise QB, I think his arm strength makes him a second round pick, but he has franchise QB potential.
I hope we land a franchise LT but have this sneaking suspicion we may go D with the pick.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #1510
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I'm not a hard no. A month ago I was. I don't know how he truly stacks up against the other "supposed" top 5-6 QB prospects. I have seen him ranked anywhere from #6 overall to in the 30s.

If they don't address QB in free agency though, and he's sitting there at 19 (doubtful), I'm not sure if they pass on him.
Historically, at least half the top 5-6 prospects will bust, QB, and there will be guys in rounds 2-3 every bit as good, or better, than bust prospects taken early in 1st round. Question or problem is finding those value picks. I think Smith could have. Can our current FO? We'll see. You don't have to trade up or draft QB top-10 to find franchise QB.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #1511
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Maybe we get lucky and Watson sits a year and we get him at a reduced price. That would be truly unSnyderesque.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Enough of the Watson fantasies. He isn't going anywhere and isn't worth what he would cost if he is. We need to draft a franchise QB. Watson is a HOLE who signed a huge contract and then reneged, plain and simple. I'd NEVER trust him. EVER.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #1512
Scalper

Quote:
The season was definitely impacted by 3 major setbacks:
1) no real offseason/preseason - This unsurprisingly hit all the first year head coaches hardest:
Dallas started 2-7 ( 1 win was against the Falcons on the onside kick blunder and one win against the Giants by 3 points)
Giants started 2-7 (both against us, one at least should have gone to overtime)
Cleveland started 5- 3 BUT their 5 wins were against Dallas, Cincinatti two times, Indy, and us
WFT started 2- 7 with a win against Philly, and a win against Dallas

2) Added to that is the new head coach being treated for cancer, literally not being in the halftime meetings for some part of the year.

3) The implosion of Dwayne Haskins on a grand scale, and musical qb's on the minor scale.

With all of that that going on, the team rallied, and seemed to be getting more cohesive as the year went on and with more live practices.

So yes it's true we beat one team with a winning record, but that is an extremely narrow view of how this team performed given the oddities around the 2020 season.
No it isn't. I love the way the team overcame, encouraging, but when you take the emotion and excuses out, we beat one winning team, and had the luxury of the Cowboys losing their franchise QB, or they probably win one game against us and we don't make playoffs. When we played talented teams, our offense sputtered, our OL got owned by pass rush and struggled to establish run, up the gut especially, and our secondary got torched, consistently, absolutely torched. You are what your record indicates, as Parcells always used to say. Last year we were a losing team in terms of overall record, and only beat one winning team, and got soundly beaten in the playoffs. Those are the facts. If we are ever to win the SB, we must accept them and not make excuses for what we are.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #1513
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
Looks like Trask will definitely be there in the second round.
Good value in the 3rd. But will he last that long?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #1514
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Historically, at least half the top 5-6 prospects will bust, QB, and there will be guys in rounds 2-3 every bit as good, or better, than bust prospects taken early in 1st round. Question or problem is finding those value picks. I think Smith could have. Can our current FO? We'll see. You don't have to trade up or draft QB top-10 to find franchise QB.
No but your odds are surely increased drafting a QB high. A Tom Brady is a once in a generation find.

I still think at the end of the day, the Redskins Twitter and Social Media base are ravenous for a fix/winner/franchise QB, but as Ron’s history has shown, he’s going to play the calculated, methodical, fiscally responsible long game and not bet the farm on big name FAs like we have been known to do in this franchise for so long. We as a fan base have been conditioned to expect splash moves and don’t know how to handle the ups and downs without it. Ron’s not ready to pull the trigger on Deshaun or trading it all in for moving up to take a top 5 QB prospect. He’s going to continue to do his homework, draft well, pick up value free agents that fit what he’s looking for and fill a need, and continue to fill out the starting roster and depth so that when it’s time, and we are ready, he can go get that QB that puts us over the top.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #1515
Scalper

Quote:
Houston doesnt have recourse to sue. The CBA specifies the fines and salary loss. You aren't bankrupting Watson any more than we bankrupted TW. If Houston doesn't trade him he will pretty assuredly sit out this year, or come back in week 11 to ensure the contract year doesnt toll but find a reaaon to not suit up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Watson will be bankrupted, without suing, by simply not collecting a salary. You are correct the fines come out of salary not paid. The team can sue for bonus money, but there are limitations. Basically, Watson comes back Week 11, team can sue him for prorated 10 weeks of bonus. Some variation depending on bye week?, suspect it is just treated like a standard pay week. Most teams don't do that because alienates player permanently, but they can. That's around $3.5M, and Watson basically then gets hosed for twice that amount because he paid taxes and agent fees already. They can also take fines out of his checks from week 11 onward, which are I believe more dispersed under new CBA, checks throughout like 8 months of year keep players with budgeting skills of 7 year olds from going broke, not just weekly game checks. He's due $10.5M in 2021, but gets 38% of that only, because of games missed. About $4M. Some variation with preseason games how they count etc., could make that higher, but most estimates say Watson holds out of everything, fines are $3M to $4M. That means he earns $1M maximum, after fines, and it could be nothing or he could even end up owing team money. His effective earnings 2021 are thus NOTHING if he holds out. And this isn't some guy that lives frugally on the few million he hasn't spent. Even if he makes $1M in 2021, pays half in taxes, 3% agent fee or whatever, etc.

I do not know how holdout has changed under new CBA, when player can come back and still get entire season. They tightened some previsions on holdouts, but I don't know.

TW collected fat checks almost a decade. Situation not analogous. TW easily worth $50M+ liquid when he held out.

I agree he will sit out this year probably, and my point is Houston ownership is fine with that and has him by the balls. They will eat the money and cornhole him because the money matters MUCH less to them than him. And by the time year 2 rolls around, of the holdout, Watson will be rolling up on broke, in NFL player terms. His market value not playing football is under $100K, optimistically. Houston owners rake in the cash from TV deal even if Watson doesn't play and tickets don't sell. I also think owners in general STRONGLY support Houston owners, simply because they aren't going to let players take huge new deals with tons of guaranteed money and then hold them hostage and hijack their golden goose. There is always another player, even at QB, and a huge line of players have learned that the hard way. Love it or hate it, owners wield almost all power in NFL.

2022 is the first year Watson earns real money, $35M, but if he holds out, that drops. to $13.3M, minus $4M fines, $9.3M, half for taxes agent fees, $4.7M left. Not chump change, but not a pile either, especially because he is now on hook for 2 years of bonus money, which team will certainly go after by 2022, which is 6.7M or something for two years prorated. Probably involves player's union, but team can still sue. And he has to get to 2022. By that time, end of 2022 season, he's rolling up on 28 by start of next season, and has squandered his prime. I don't think it'll get to that. But Houston can just sit on it and hose him. They can sign another QB free agent, draft one, whatever, and earn the TV revenue.

Watson is a HOLE, and dumb, for not thinking it through before signing new deal. I fully expect Houston to maintain its zero-tolerance no trade policy for years. By 2022 Watson will cave, for sure, and the team can easily eat the $13.3M just out of spite as dead cap money.

Watson isn't going ANYWHERE, except to bankruptcy court if he doesn't play by 2022, and by that time I think he will certainly cave simply because his years of high earning are limited, whereas Houston ownership earns forever no matter what players they have or don't have. I hope he does hold out and go broke, that would serve him right for being such a HOLE, taking pirate ships full of loot for signing bonus and than reneging on his contractual obligations.