Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think the entire era of QB from Rypien to current will be a blight on Redskins history. Hopefully McNabb puts up a couple of solid seasons and Shanahan drafts a true QB of the future somewhere in the next 2 drafts.
Don't go dissing Mark Rypien!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I think the entire era of QB from Rypien to current will be a blight on Redskins history. Hopefully McNabb puts up a couple of solid seasons and Shanahan drafts a true QB of the future somewhere in the next 2 drafts.
I wouldn't go that far. We did make the playoffs a few times and were very close several times. I don't think the franchise was in serious trouble til after Marty got canned. The FO completely killed off Norv with getting all of those high priced old men. They had some utility, but younger draftees would have been much better.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

Legacy .. that's a strong word to be throwing around
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
GusFrerotte

Sorry, but this legacy crap has to go. The guy only started 3 seasons and didn't give us any playoffs(Collins did that). Simply put, he wasn't here long enough to even have a legacy. You want to make a thread of JC's legacy, then maybe I should open one up about Gus Frerotte's legacy! Shoot he made the Pro Bowl and swept Aikman and company that season('96) to boot!!!! Gus, Terry, and the boys were a lot more fun to watch than these bums!!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
davy
Impact Rookie

Wasted draft picks.

The talent guys obviously thought he was a bit special and were determined to get him and I don't have a problem with that, but they were wrong.

When you have people looking at tape from last year and saying how simplified the offence was and JC still couldn't make easy calls at the line then the problem is obvious.

Not smart enough to be a successful starter.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Jason's Redskin legacy left a lot to be desired, his ultimate legacy is yet to be determined.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

A below average QB while in DC, a good person.

A legacy in football terms is determined by accomplishments made on the field of play for your team and in the QB position as a leader/overall team production IMO. Something we never had with SOUP at the helm, no legacy here. Good luck in Oakland, when your not playing the REDSKINS!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
djnemo65
Playmaker

I always felt that Gibbs, in giving up as much as he did to get Campbell, was in significant ways staking his legacy, betting his entire administration on the QB developing into a legit starter (2.0 legacy mind you, the reputation of the first regime is pretty safe). A move that was almost universally criticized at the time as, if nothing else, profligate with picks, giving up a king's ransom to get a guy who was viewed as at best a 2nd round talent, somewhat recklessly counting on him to become twice the player he ever was in college, Campbell's tenure in Washington in many ways came to mirror Gibbs': mostly adequate, in many ways defensible, certainly abundant in character, but ultimately disappointing.

As the last of the Gibbs' 2.0 core Redskins fade into history and we move forward with Shanahan, I think it's possible that many Redskins fans will begin to conflate the terms of Campbell and Gibbs, perhaps even forgetting that Campbell played his last two years with Zorn (or even that there was a coach Zorn, about whom we might find ourselves unable to convince our kids that such a cartoon-character could have actually existed. We may begin to doubt it ourselves). And so I think that people will come to view Campbell over the years in the same way they view Gibbs, with genuine affection for his character, coupled with objective appraisal of his shortcomings.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I always felt that Gibbs, in giving up as much as he did to get Campbell, was in significant ways staking his legacy, betting his entire administration on the QB developing into a legit starter (2.0 legacy mind you, the reputation of the first regime is pretty safe). A move that was almost universally criticized at the time as, if nothing else, profligate with picks, giving up a king's ransom to get a guy who was viewed as at best a 2nd round talent, somewhat recklessly counting on him to become twice the player he ever was in college, Campbell's tenure in Washington in many ways came to mirror Gibbs': mostly adequate, in many ways defensible, certainly abundant in character, but ultimately disappointing.

As the last of the Gibbs' 2.0 core Redskins fade into history and we move forward with Shanahan, I think it's possible that many Redskins fans will begin to conflate the terms of Campbell and Gibbs, perhaps even forgetting that Campbell played his last two years with Zorn (or even that there was a coach Zorn, about whom we might find ourselves unable to convince our kids that such a cartoon-character could have actually existed. We may begin to doubt it ourselves). And so I think that people will come to view Campbell over the years in the same way they view Gibbs, with genuine affection for his character, coupled with objective appraisal of his shortcomings.
Eloquently stated.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post

I second GTripps observation. Are you a professional writer?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
rbanerjee23
The Starter

New offense -- literally every year he was here, he had to learn a new offense and he was consistently average. Also, despite all the mediocrity and negativity around him, he handled himself with nothing but class and even took his trade the right way.

That is a lot more than what a lot of quarterbacks around the league would have accomplished. Good luck to him, I hope he enjoys some small measure of success wherever he ends up.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
New offense -- literally every year he was here, he had to learn a new offense and he was consistently average. Also, despite all the mediocrity and negativity around him, he handled himself with nothing but class and even took his trade the right way.

That is a lot more than what a lot of quarterbacks around the league would have accomplished. Good luck to him, I hope he enjoys some small measure of success wherever he ends up.
IF the Raiders build around him, he has a shot at being a decent starter and making some playoff appearances in such a weak division. With the merry go round that the Skins franchise became, along with being in the NFC East, the odds were against him from ever breaking out of being average while he was here.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
right21arm

Jason Campbell's legacy? That's an easy question. Making me drink with a heavy heart on Sunday.
right21arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by right21arm View Post
Jason Campbell's legacy? That's an easy question. Making me drink with a heavy heart on Sunday.
So what did Vinny make you do?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Kinda funny how people keep saying "what if the Raiders do this and that", like they will all of a sudden make good decisions and make JC a great qb. What are yall smoking?
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote