Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?

We all (including me) seem to discount the idea that Heyer, in his third year, could "get it" and bust loose as a quite good RT.

I'm not saying this is true; I'm saying that it could be true and, if so, RT is no longer the worry that it has been.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
We all (including me) seem to discount the idea that Heyer, in his third year, could "get it" and bust loose as a quite good RT.

I'm not saying this is true; I'm saying that it could be true and, if so, RT is no longer the worry that it has been.
But then that brings us to two durability questions. Can Heyer last a full season at RT and if Samuels gets nicked, who plays RT if Heyer has to play LT?
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
But then that brings us to two durability questions. Can Heyer last a full season at RT and if Samuels gets nicked, who plays RT if Heyer has to play LT?
Those are both good questions. My point was that many of us seem to think of the RT position as half-empty and we seem not to consider the half-full perspective as much.

As for Samuels, Buges talked the other day about Devin Clark filling in for Samuels, not Heyer like last year.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:

It sure would be nice if he establishes himself as a starting quality RT this year.

He's shown flashes, he just needs to put it all together.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

I really like this statement. Now lets substitute Cambell for Heyer in that statement, fivisth for third, QB for RT. Then the same statement again this time Devin Thomas for Heyer, WR for RT.......

All statements of if and hope. The topic of O-Line this offseason has been probably the most popular on the Warpath. Why? Because the second half of the last season, the most glaring weakness was O-Line and this was due to the age and health. During the offseason there was alot of anticipation from the greatest fans in the world to see exactly how the FO would tackle the problem. Lots of suggestions were made at every position except LT. Draft Mack at C, Oher at RT, sign a proven player, etc. There were players availible. We did get an upgrade with Dockery, but bigger questions are still left along our biggest weakness the second half of last season. The FO chose to look at defense to spend money which is great, but the true need was overlooked. Now I think the words we need to use are not "if" and "hope" at this point, but "better". Because the D-Lines of Philly, Dallas and NY have not gotten worse. And Heyer better be ready to start at RT and Reinhardt better be ready to step in for Randy Thomas when goes out at some point during the season. Our line when healthy is very solid, but this is the NFL, injuries are apart of it and depth is a neccesary. So Mike Williams better knock that rust off and Bridges better be ready to fight in the trenches like he fights at bars because if not, it is going to be a longgggg season. I have the faith, but it is time step up. "If" the O-line steps up and plays together, guys we are a surprise team this year, and could be looking at lengthy playoff run.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #21
70Chip
Playmaker

In today's NFL, QBS are expected to perform no matter how the O-line plays. You're never going to see an O-Line do what the Hogs did in 1991. (9 total sacks, 6 through the first fifteen games when all the starters played, etc, blah blah) We need Campbell to perform in spite of the pressure. Look at how badly Arizona's line played in the SB and they came this close to winning because they have a QB who let's it fly fearlessly and receivers who make it pay off. Defensive coordinators are going to bring as many people as it takes to get pressure. You have a great O-Line? They'll just bring more people than you can block. Receiver is the position that beats pressure nowadays.

So, I'm not content to wait until we have 5 HOFers up front before we contend. Campbell needs to get the ball out more quickly and Vinny's 2nd rounders need to hit home runs. Im tired of making excuses for people. "Oh the offense can't score because the defense doesn't give them the ball at the one yard line." Bullshit.

My fear is that they want to shitcan Zorn (and Campbell naturally) after this season. I just hope they shitcan Vinny as well. He was back on the radio yesterday and boy does he still suck. Poor Frank Hanrahan. He must get migraines thinking about having to work with Cerrato for the next five months.

Wow. I feel better now.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

So who on this site is still saying wait for the season to worry about the uncertainties on the line? Just checking.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
In today's NFL, QBS are expected to perform no matter how the O-line plays. You're never going to see an O-Line do what the Hogs did in 1991. (9 total sacks, 6 through the first fifteen games when all the starters played, etc, blah blah) We need Campbell to perform in spite of the pressure. Look at how badly Arizona's line played in the SB and they came this close to winning because they have a QB who let's it fly fearlessly and receivers who make it pay off. Defensive coordinators are going to bring as many people as it takes to get pressure. You have a great O-Line? They'll just bring more people than you can block. Receiver is the position that beats pressure nowadays.

So, I'm not content to wait until we have 5 HOFers up front before we contend. Campbell needs to get the ball out more quickly and Vinny's 2nd rounders need to hit home runs. Im tired of making excuses for people. "Oh the offense can't score because the defense doesn't give them the ball at the one yard line." Bullshit.

My fear is that they want to shitcan Zorn (and Campbell naturally) after this season. I just hope they shitcan Vinny as well. He was back on the radio yesterday and boy does he still suck. Poor Frank Hanrahan. He must get migraines thinking about having to work with Cerrato for the next five months.

Wow. I feel better now.
Unfortunately this is what people seem to expect. Apparently Rinehart was supposed to be Steve Hutchinson his first day of minicamp last year, and signing Bridges was supposed to be akin to signing Anthony Munoz.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Randy Thomas' health problems while not a good thing in general, are allowing Rinehart to get more reps against an elite defensive line. While it may be a good idea to pick up another veteran back up, it is time for these young guys to step it up and show what they got. Having these guys take a lot of reps will make them better back ups and potential starters.
Great point. If Rhinhart has NFL ability, this will make him game ready much more quickly than film study and limited practice reps. It would be huge for the OL depth if he turns into a viable option to start this season.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I really like this statement. Now lets substitute Cambell for Heyer in that statement, fivisth for third, QB for RT. Then the same statement again this time Devin Thomas for Heyer, WR for RT.......

All statements of if and hope. The topic of O-Line this offseason has been probably the most popular on the Warpath. Why? Because the second half of the last season, the most glaring weakness was O-Line and this was due to the age and health. During the offseason there was alot of anticipation from the greatest fans in the world to see exactly how the FO would tackle the problem. Lots of suggestions were made at every position except LT. Draft Mack at C, Oher at RT, sign a proven player, etc. There were players availible. We did get an upgrade with Dockery, but bigger questions are still left along our biggest weakness the second half of last season. The FO chose to look at defense to spend money which is great, but the true need was overlooked. Now I think the words we need to use are not "if" and "hope" at this point, but "better". Because the D-Lines of Philly, Dallas and NY have not gotten worse. And Heyer better be ready to start at RT and Reinhardt better be ready to step in for Randy Thomas when goes out at some point during the season. Our line when healthy is very solid, but this is the NFL, injuries are apart of it and depth is a neccesary. So Mike Williams better knock that rust off and Bridges better be ready to fight in the trenches like he fights at bars because if not, it is going to be a longgggg season. I have the faith, but it is time step up. "If" the O-line steps up and plays together, guys we are a surprise team this year, and could be looking at lengthy playoff run.
I think this is more of a realistic way to look at things.

Our seasons are always contingent upon players who've never had any previous dominant football prowess stepping up and "getting it". It's not like these players are finding red mushrooms in the offseason that will make them twice their size and give them the ability to block the Dwight Freenys of the world.

Reinhardt is young and will more than likely perform between 10-20% better or worse than he did last year. He couldn't even crack the lineup last year when we desperately needed lineman and were even letting people like Justin Geslinger play for us.

Without steroids being involved name me a player who just "got it" and then became 80-100% more effective than he's ever played in his life.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
So who on this site is still saying wait for the season to worry about the uncertainties on the line? Just checking.
Lol, yeah what are Vinny's and Dan Snyder's User ID names on this site?

I just "hope" "if" the season starts tomorrow the O-line guys are up to task helping this team, with so much talent, get to the playoffs.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #27
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:

Completely agree. I don't think we have a good line. But I'd say middle of the pack. Dock is an upgrade (though Kendall would be a great coach because he is such a great technician) and Heyer is an upgrade over Jansen in the passing game but a detriment in the running game. Expect lots of run left this year and JC holding the ball forever with max protect schemes.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #28
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Completely agree. I don't think we have a good line. But I'd say middle of the pack. Dock is an upgrade (though Kendall would be a great coach because he is such a great technician) and Heyer is an upgrade over Jansen in the passing game but a detriment in the running game. Expect lots of run left this year and JC holding the ball forever with max protect schemes.

not so sure about that, this offense is predicated on quick reads and getting the ball out fast.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #29
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Wow. I feel better now.
Your argument pivots on Kurt Warner, probably the best "pressure" QB in the game today, working w/ the greatest WR in the game today and a 2nd WR easily in the top 5. In short...the argument doesn't hold water beyond the AZ Cards. Looking at top offenses you tend to see one resounding theme: a top notch offensive line. Brady has typically had one in NE. Peyton in Indy. Mini-Manning in NY has one of the best lines in the game and can be very good when he's on (such as he was at Fed Ex field last year). And finally, the most impressive QB in the game today IMHO, Drew Brees, has a very good (though maybe a bit underrated) line in front of him. I think anyone who watches the game play by play, seeing things develop, can easily recognize many of Zorn's plays fell apart before JC or any of his targets could be in a position to make something happen because the o-line crumbled. Zorn has basically said so himself.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #30
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Max protect was nonexistent in 2008, although Cooley did plenty of 'chip and and release', and goes against WCO philosophy. There's usually a deep route, a hot reciever, and a dumpoff at the very least in most of the passing plays in the playbook.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote