Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #181
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Trent Williams ends season-long holdout, rejoins Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think there's a case to be made for bringing him back as long as there's not a significant new financial commitment. I'd consider an olive branch offer to extend him by one year and guarantee both of those years.

Reason: this team clearly needs to see that its owner is interested in righting a lot of wrongs. Allen has been fired, the trainer Larry Hess has been fired, and we've hired a coach who is big on accountability. Good steps. The team also needs to see more. They need to see an org chart that makes it clear who has the personnel and negotiating power, they need to see that said person is transparent, fair, and trustworthy. And it would go a long way if Snyder reached out with an olive branch to its best player, as a way of acknowledging that Bruce should have handled it differently.

The human impact on the locker room would be worth an additional one year commitment to Trent. It might even bring some fans back. People crave an acknowledgement that things were done incorrectly before. Any outward displays of such will galvanize the locker room and the fan base.

At this point, this is a needed move from an Emotional Intelligence standpoint. A good leader would recognize that everybody just needs this, regardless of whether Trent will still be here when we're finally good.
I agree with your sentiment, but the part in bold is why this is simply not going to happen. By Trent's own mouth, this all started because Trent wanted a significant new financial commitment and Bruce said no. I have no idea why Trent would change is mind now and decide to take less money, even if its guaranteed.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #182
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I don’t care if Trent and BA had a disagreement, you don’t throw the owner who went out of his way to help him in a time of need and fans under the bus. As far as I’m concerned Trent is done here.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #183
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I don’t care if Trent and BA had a disagreement, you don’t throw the owner who went out of his way to help him in a time of need and fans under the bus. As far as I’m concerned Trent is done here.
I kind of agree although if DS wants to show he can be a bigger man, not back biting or petty, mending wounds with TW would be one way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #184
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Trent threw Dan under the bus? Was this something newly reported? Trent said in the interview a month or so ago that Dan was not the problem and .. aw hell ill google it.
-----------------------------

Now, he's not upset with everyone. Throughout the back-and-forth, Williams mentioned Dan Snyder multiple times. The comments were all positive.

"I have a ton of respect for Dan and what he's done here," Williams said of the often-criticized owner.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...elief-redskins

While Williams has said owner Daniel Snyder was supportive, including flying the tackle on a private jet for examinations in Chicago to see a doctor Snyder recommended, it was team president Bruce Allen who damaged his relationship with the organization. 106.7 The Fan's Craig Hoffman reported a source close to Williams says he maintains his respect for the Redskins owner because he feels Snyder helped save his life.

“It wasn’t his fault. He’s not down there in the training room. It’s not on him. It’s not on anybody. I had a very rare form of cancer; my displeasure comes from how long it lingered and how it was neglected and how it almost cost me my life,” Williams told the media in October.
https://thefandc.radio.com/trent-wil...edskins-burned
Old 12-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #185
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Trent threw Dan under the bus? Was this something newly reported? Trent said in the interview a month or so ago that Dan was not the problem and .. aw hell ill google it.
-----------------------------

Now, he's not upset with everyone. Throughout the back-and-forth, Williams mentioned Dan Snyder multiple times. The comments were all positive.

"I have a ton of respect for Dan and what he's done here," Williams said of the often-criticized owner.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...elief-redskins

While Williams has said owner Daniel Snyder was supportive, including flying the tackle on a private jet for examinations in Chicago to see a doctor Snyder recommended, it was team president Bruce Allen who damaged his relationship with the organization. 106.7 The Fan's Craig Hoffman reported a source close to Williams says he maintains his respect for the Redskins owner because he feels Snyder helped save his life.

“It wasn’t his fault. He’s not down there in the training room. It’s not on him. It’s not on anybody. I had a very rare form of cancer; my displeasure comes from how long it lingered and how it was neglected and how it almost cost me my life,” Williams told the media in October.
https://thefandc.radio.com/trent-wil...edskins-burned
By refusing to play and sit. Play for the owner who cared and fuck BA.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #186
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I understand how you feel about it, but I'm more concerned with how Dan feels about it. If Dan and Trent are still friends I'm sure Trent will at least seriously reconsider coming back solely based on the removal of BA and the revamping of the training/medical staffs.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #187
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Ok I gotcha now. Yes, I could see that interpretation but Im team Trent so my opinions generally favor him.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #188
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I understand how you feel about it, but I'm more concerned with how Dan feels about it. If Dan and Trent are still friends I'm sure Trent will at least seriously reconsider coming back solely based on the removal of BA and the revamping of the training/medical staffs.
If that’s the case then let Dan do the reconciliation. I still don’t like all the misinformation and refusal to have the medical records investigated to see what really went on.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #189
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
If that’s the case then let Dan do the reconciliation. I still don’t like all the misinformation and refusal to have the medical records investigated to see what really went on.
Talent trumps everything. Trent is still a very talented player, and selling him to the highest bidder creates another problem that has to be fixed this year. If nobody is willing to offer anything I'm not selling him, lets reconcile, let bygones be bygones, and postpone that problem for a year minimum.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #190
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I agree with your sentiment, but the part in bold is why this is simply not going to happen. By Trent's own mouth, this all started because Trent wanted a significant new financial commitment and Bruce said no. I have no idea why Trent would change is mind now and decide to take less money, even if its guaranteed.
I think you need to go back and reread my post. You misunderstood.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #191
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Schneeds post 177 nails it.

Reach out to Trent and offer to extend him for 1 more year at a reasonable but guaranteed amount and guarantee next year at the current deals amount. If the amount can't be agreed on the parties shake hands and walk away. The Skins then go try to find a trade. You can even get a preferred teams list from Trent and try with those teams 1st. Either way, I think this relationship can now be salvaged. That's good for the team and it's good PR.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #192
Warthog
The Starter

Trent is still an VERY GOOD player, even at this age. Offer him a 2-3 year deal, with the idea to play him for 2 years while rotating young players like Martin to keep him fresh.
If he comes back he is still the best OL player on this team.

By offering the olive branch it makes the team look more reasonable to players and agents. Bruce Allen was disliked and not respected by players/agents interested in the team. How many players skipped this team because Allen was a tool?

If TW still wants out, then trade him for a 2nd and use it to draft the best OT available.
This is a win-win for this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 12-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #193
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think you need to go back and reread my post. You misunderstood.
How did i misunderstand? You specifically said the following:

Quote:
I think there's a case to be made for bringing him back as long as there's not a significant new financial commitment. I'd consider an olive branch offer to extend him by one year and guarantee both of those years.
In my reply, i expressed the reasons why I believe there is almost no chance of that happening. Trent will not accept the type of deal you propose. He will want more than that.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #194
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
How did i misunderstand? You specifically said the following:

In my reply, i expressed the reasons why I believe there is almost no chance of that happening. Trent will not accept the type of deal you propose. He will want more than that.
The guaranteeing of the money plus an addl year is actually huge imo.

Aging vets on the back end of a deal with no guaranteed money feel vulnerable and exposed bc one injury and they are cut with no parachute or soft landing.

Giving an extra year plus guaranteeing the money would give a vet some comfort and sense of relief in case he does get injured.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #195
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Trent will not accept the type of deal you propose. He will want more than that.
That's a hard line to draw in the sand after the Redskins have already made the commitment of getting rid of Bruce Allen and revamping the training/medical staffs.

Only time will tell if you are correct or not.
Closed Thread