Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Tony McGee on all things Washington Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Tony McGee on all things Washington Redskins

Hello All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season despite the Washington Redskins play lately.

Overall, the Redskins are what their record says they are right now. They have been about a .500 football team all season long, even during the hot start when they started 6-2. The biggest difference from the hot start to how they've been playing the last 6 games when they're 1-5 is the turnovers. When they were 6-2, they were still playing very tight, close contests but they were on the right side of the turnover battle, which was masking alot of their faults at that time. In the last 6 games, they've still been playing pretty tight games, but they've more often than not, had some game changing turnovers (1 vs Cinci which lead to a TD, 2 vs Baltimore that gave them 14 points), which ended up in both cases being the difference.

Furthermore, I think a big thing that happened right around the Steelers game, is somewhat of a lack of focus overall. They had guys right around that time who were more worried about making fashion statements, and off the field stuff than they were about being on the field. That doesn't mean that they aren't working or playing hard. However, when you're not that good of a team, you cant have little things like that keep you from staying focused, because it makes a difference in the outcome.

I think thats a big reason why Carlos Rogers is playing behind DeAngelo Hall right now, he lost focus right around that Steelers game and has not been nearly as good since, and has been outplayed by Hall. Hall has been all over the field. I think the best case scenario for Washington would be to be able to resign both of these guys, because I still think Carlos Rogers has been very good, but it is going to be interesting to see how they approach this with Hall being a free agent this season and Rogers a free agent next season.

Another area (outside of both lines that I think need complete overhalls for the most part), which needs to be addressed in the off season is linebacker. I've said every year when someone comes off a major knee surgery, it usually will take them a year to get their legs under them again and learn to trust themselves, and I think that is a big reason that Rocky McIntosh has struggled up to this point, but the Skins' need to look at upgrading the outside linebacker position as Marcus Washington has been too often injured and they haven had the production they need at those positions.

Outside of the linebacker position, and figuring out what you have in terms of a big receiver (As they've gotten no production from the rookie class), the lines need to be addressed across the board. Outside of Chris Samuels offensively, they need to take a hard look at each other position across the offensive line. On the defensive line, the pass rush needs to get better. Its been something that has been said for the last 5-6 seasons, and it has not gotten any better at this point.

For these last two games, I think if I'm Jim Zorn, all I'm looking for is guys who are ready and want too play. They need to find out who is not worried about the little off the field stuff like what color their shoes are and what style their jersey is...they need to find out who is ready to go each and every Sunday. If that means playing rookies or young guys, than so be it. I really think this team might be on the brink of a lot of new faces next season, and I'm not so sure if thats not the best thing for them at this point.

Happy Holidays to All!
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Re: Tony McGee on all things Washington Redskins

I totally agree, couldn't have said it better myself
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
eddie lewis
Camp Scrub

I think we need to put in the gun slinger Colt Brennan
eddie lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie lewis View Post
I think we need to put in the gun slinger Colt Brennan
Changing QB won't make anything different in our situation with O-line..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
eddie lewis
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Changing QB won't make anything different in our situation with O-line..
Campbell holds the ball too long puts to much pressure on the line not to mention he cannot read a defense
eddie lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie lewis View Post
Campbell holds the ball too long puts to much pressure on the line not to mention he cannot read a defense
And Colt will be able to read defense better than Campbell, I would find it hard to believe..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
For these last two games, I think if I'm Jim Zorn, all I'm looking for is guys who are ready and want too play. They need to find out who is not worried about the little off the field stuff like what color their shoes are and what style their jersey is...they need to find out who is ready to go each and every Sunday. If that means playing rookies or young guys, than so be it. I really think this team might be on the brink of a lot of new faces next season, and I'm not so sure if thats not the best thing for them at this point.

Happy Holidays to All!
Great post. Some new hungry faces, both on the field and with the coaching staff with our solid core should bode well for next year.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Josh Baker
Camp Scrub

Why are all these old threads in here? Its a BUMMER!
Josh Baker is offline   Reply With Quote