Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #31
Green1
Special Teams

Re: How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

There was a play in the Chief's game where they threw a swing pass, and CP ran slower that Todd Yoder with no gain on the play.
Green1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #32
jdot26
Camp Scrub

Why is everybody hating on cp.. since the team isn't doing good.. everybody is blaming are star players.. all we need is a o line.. think about it we do the same left strech everytime.. we hardly run to the right so everybody defense just crashes left.. y'all got to give him a break.. he lost his to best blockers but nobody is taking that into concitaration.. man the line we got now is blow avg...at best.. cp tries to go up the holes the line opes for 0.1 seconds.. but they close so damn fast cause the line can't sustain blockes.. but now everybody wants to turn they back on are running back.. y'all cats are silly talking about clinton portis lost it and need to get rid of him.. we need him.. y'all crazy
jdot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #33
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

To hell with CP too, that Prima Donna hack.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #34
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdot26 View Post
Why is everybody hating on cp.. since the team isn't doing good.. everybody is blaming are star players.. all we need is a o line.. think about it we do the same left strech everytime.. we hardly run to the right so everybody defense just crashes left.. y'all got to give him a break.. he lost his to best blockers but nobody is taking that into concitaration.. man the line we got now is blow avg...at best.. cp tries to go up the holes the line opes for 0.1 seconds.. but they close so damn fast cause the line can't sustain blockes.. but now everybody wants to turn they back on are running back.. y'all cats are silly talking about clinton portis lost it and need to get rid of him.. we need him.. y'all crazy
It's the nature of a lot of Skins fans...always optimistic before the season, then every regular season game is met with lunatic ranting and raving, win or lose...and in cases of losses, total destruction of the team is the only way to improve.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #35
Meks
Pro Bowl

to the initial moron-and-black post....

mike sellers blew the block, and 4get CP... ur acting like a disgrace to this board.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #36
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Anyone who thinks Portis is a leading contributor to the bad start to the season is, I feel, sadly mistaken.

When you compare what he did in the first 6 weeks of 2008 to this season, the only glaring difference is the total number of touches.

In 2008 in the first 6 weeks Portis averaged 4.7 ypc.
In 2009 in the first 6 weeks Protis averaged 4.2 ypc.

Not a big difference there, if a RB is averaging over 4 yards per carry, I say let him play.

No, the big difference in 2009 is that in 2008 at this point in the season, Portis had 30 more carries in 2008 after 6 weeks than he has in 2009. And last year at this point, everyone and thier grandmother already had Portis starting in the Pro Bowl. He had an awesome first half of 2008.

Now I know 2009 has been a less than desirable start, but, from what I see the Redskins have never been blown out, and they have never really been so far out of a game that they needed to abandon the run to play catch up, which in most cases is the 4th quarter anyway.

Keep feeding him the rock, and that will keep defenses honest and help the passing game out to boot.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #37
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Calling him a disgrace may be a bit of a stretch, he does have issues however, some fotball related and some not. I think some people are beginning to wonder if he's actually still worth the price or the time. BTW had he cut back inside Sellers block he would have scored. The fact he didn't is reflective of his lack of ability to change directions at full speed, a quality neccessary for a featured RB.
Good post. Above is the key point. Two plays yesterday showcased this. The swing pass where he couldn't lose the LB and was tackled for no gain and the pitch play to the outside where the KC safety closed and rather than beat him to the sideline for 4 or 5 yds, CP tried to cut back, knowing he doesn't have the explosiveness the once had.

CP is an old back in terms of carries. Right now he is simply a downfield runner, and good in pass-pro. The OL was average in run blocking yesterday, the holes were mostly there, aside from a couple break-downs. CP just lacks the second gear to get through the hole and explode into the seocnd level. We are not L or R run dominant, over the last 3-4 games the L/R balance has been there. For the Panthers and Chiefs we also have gotten away from running the Stretch on every run play.

Portis is certainly not worth $8-10M / season in a capped or uncapped year. He will be gone after this year.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #38
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

i really, really hope we make it to the uncapped year. We have so much dead weight to cut. Traditionally, work stoppage/strike years have been very kind to the Skins. This one could as well, though in a different way...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #39
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

One thing I would like to see is, Mason being used more than 1 or 2 carries a game. I want him to take a chunk of carries, people say he's like another Portis, Betts but I disagree. I say him a chance and let's see what he can do, I bet people will be surprised.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #40
misterflak
Camp Scrub

I would argue that Portis' talent is bordering replacement-level at this point (think Correll Buckhalter)--the difference is that Portis is making $10m/season from 2010-2014 while a player of his current talent ability will run you, say, $2m in an open market. Given that he still has a good bit of trade value, that would be the first thing on my to-do list for the 2010 offseason.
misterflak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
WaldSkins
Playmaker

I can't believe people are still arguing about this shit.
Here's a little quiz for you.
1.)Which one of these players has the worst starting quarterback on there team
A.)Portis(Jason Campbell)
B.)Turner(Matt Ryan)
C.)Forte(Jay Culer)

2.)Which of the above players has the worst Oline?
3.) Which if the three RB's above is averaging the most yards per carry?

The answer is A to all three questions. So even with the terrible Oline and the poor perfroming QB, Cinton Portis still is averaging more YPC then the other 2 players.

I think people bitch just to bitch about something. Yea he's not the best in the league but he not as bad as everyone is making him out to be.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Anyone who thinks Portis is a leading contributor to the bad start to the season is, I feel, sadly mistaken.

When you compare what he did in the first 6 weeks of 2008 to this season, the only glaring difference is the total number of touches.

In 2008 in the first 6 weeks Portis averaged 4.7 ypc.
In 2009 in the first 6 weeks Protis averaged 4.2 ypc.

Not a big difference there, if a RB is averaging over 4 yards per carry, I say let him play.

No, the big difference in 2009 is that in 2008 at this point in the season, Portis had 30 more carries in 2008 after 6 weeks than he has in 2009. And last year at this point, everyone and thier grandmother already had Portis starting in the Pro Bowl. He had an awesome first half of 2008.

Now I know 2009 has been a less than desirable start, but, from what I see the Redskins have never been blown out, and they have never really been so far out of a game that they needed to abandon the run to play catch up, which in most cases is the 4th quarter anyway.

Keep feeding him the rock, and that will keep defenses honest and help the passing game out to boot.
But Portis isn't anywhere close to where he was last year at this time in total value, when he was in the midst of a 5 game 120+ yards per streak. Also, 0.5 YPC isn't particularly close. And he has one rushing TD, despite ample opportunity.

Portis has actually been in decline since 2006, but behind an offensive line that played very well for 5 weeks at the beginning of last year, and defenses that were putting considerable resources to stopping the pass, he put together a really good stretch. At this point though, he's a grind em out power runner who doesn't really even finish his runs any more.

He's the best RB on the team, and still has considerable value, but he doesn't set up his blocks well, and he doesn't finish runs, and he fumbles. You can't argue that he deserves any more carries than he is getting.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #43
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
I agree, but also think he is so out of shape that he was just too tired to make anything happen at the end of that run....he was GASSED!!!!
Okay, okay, , we get it already. Heard you the first time.
SkinDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #44
skinster
Impact Rookie

I dont like this topic. Offensive line is too big a factor for us to properly judge portis.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #45
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Take out the 78 yd run yesterday, and he's averaging about 3.5 YPA.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote