Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Re: Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
I think Joe Jacoby has a good chance as well.
I should have put him on my list too. I have heard several guys who played during that era say that Jacoby should have gone in before Grimm. I think that since we already have a hog in there, it will delay Jacoby a couple more years and would put him 4th on my list:

Clark
Manley
Butz
Jacoby
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

I think the Skins are done for a while when it comes to the Hall. I honestly don't see anyone on the list that's realistically going to make the final cut.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The OL candidates are very strong. I would have no issue with many of those players being elected to the HOF.

Joe Jacoby is one of my all-time favorite players. His battles with Lawrence Taylor were epic and he was a devastating run blocker. I think he'll be elected some day.

Jim Lachey was an outstanding LT. He was "money" as a pass protector. His acqusition to play LT allowed Big Jake to move to RT late in his career and solidified one of the best pass-blocking OL's of all-time. That was a key to our great Super Bowl winning season in 1991.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 09-29-2011 at 09:52 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Terrell Davis isn't making the Hall of Fame. Ever. He simply doesn't have the stats to back his induction. He's had 4 stellar years and the rest have been injury marred.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader In Sports View Post
The preliminary list is out and there are obviously many skins on it. Will be interesting to watch them narrow it down:
I bolded the guys that are known as Redskins and I don't think I missed any. I obviously skipped guys like Larry Centers and Andre Reed since they were not in DC long.

Enshrinement » Modern-Era Nominees for the Class of 2012

Class of 2012 Modern Era Preliminary Nominees:

Quarterbacks
DREW BLEDSOE, Phil Simms

Running Backs
TIKI BARBER, Jerome Bettis, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, STEPHEN DAVIS, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Curtis Martin, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers
Tim Brown (also KR), Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard (also PR), KEYSHAWN JOHNSON, Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, ROD SMITH

Tight Ends
Todd Christensen, Frank Wycheck

Offensive Linemen
Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson (C), Joe Fields (C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Willie Roaf (T), WILL SHIELDS (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen
Dave Butz (DE/DT), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT)

Linebackers
Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills

Defensive Backs
Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Albert Lewis (CB), Donnie Shell (S), TROY VINCENT(CB), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S)

Kickers/Punters
Gary Anderson (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P), MIKE VANDERJAGT (K)

Special Teams
Steve Tasker (ST/WR)

Coaches
Bill Arnsparger, Bud Carson, Don Coryell, BILL COWHER, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Chuck Mather, BILL PARCELLS, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Contributors
K.S. “Bud” Adams, Jr. (Owner), Bobby Beathard (Admin.), Gil Brandt (Admin.), Leo Carlin (Admin.), Jack Kent Cooke (Owner), Otho Davis (Trainer), Ed DeBartolo, Jr. (Owner), Ron Gibbs (Official), Jim Kensil (Admin.), Eddie Kotal (Admin.), Art McNally (Official), Art Modell (Owner), Steve Sabol (NFL Films), Paul Tagliabue (Commissioner), Burl Toler, Sr. (Official), Jim Tunney (Official), Ron Wolf (Admin.), George Young (Admin.)

Italics denotes finalists for the Class of 2011

CAPS denotes first-year eligibles

If I had a vote - - and I do not:
No QBs from this list.

Terrell Davis and Curtis Martin are the 2 best RBs

Andre Reed and Sterling Sharpe are the 2 best WRs

No TEs from this list.

Willie Roaf and Will Shields are the 2 best OL

Dave Butz and Charles Haley are the 2 best DL

Clay Matthews and Karl Mecklenburg are the 2 best LBs

Steve Atwater, Kenny Easley and Aeneas Williams are the 3 best DBs

No kickers/punters/special teamers from this list.

Cowher, Parcells, Schottenheimer and Vermeil are the best coaches on the list.

Steve Sabol and Jim Tunney are the best of the contributors on the list.
Over and out...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
No QBs from this list.

No TEs from this list.

Over and out...
Sterling Sharpe will not be in the HOF. I think Shannon's speech probably hurt him, but he didn't play long enough compared to so many others that he wouldn't make it anyway. Reed will be in at some point - just who knows when.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Sterling Sharpe will not be in the HOF. I think Shannon's speech probably hurt him, but he didn't play long enough compared to so many others that he wouldn't make it anyway. Reed will be in at some point - just who knows when.
How did his Shannon's speech hurt him?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How did his Shannon's speech hurt him?
From everything I hear, there are MANY players who have campaigns to get into Canton. At this point, the voters are so sick of it, there is a back lash against it.

Not that I know this for fact, but I have been told this from multiple sources.

Then of course, you look at Sterling's record compared to Brown, Carter etc and he just didn't have the longevity at that position to justify a gold jacket.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

I'm kinda torn on the longevity argument. What's the average career, 2-3 years? Just because a guy doesn't play 10+ years shouldn't hold him back from consideration. If a guy's career falls short due to injury, but during his time in the league he was one of the top players, I think voters should give guys like that a closer look.

Sterling Sharpe was a hell of a WR, had he played another 3-4 seasons he would probably be a lock. Davis would also be a lock if he had played a few more seasons. I just think it's a shame some of these guys get discounted because their careers were cut short due to career ending injuries.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm kinda torn on the longevity argument. What's the average career, 2-3 years? Just because a guy doesn't play 10+ years shouldn't hold him back from consideration. If a guy's career falls short due to injury, but during his time in the league he was one of the top players, I think voters should give guys like that a closer look.

Sterling Sharpe was a hell of a WR, had he played another 3-4 seasons he would probably be a lock. Davis would also be a lock if he had played a few more seasons. I just think it's a shame some of these guys get discounted because their careers were cut short due to career ending injuries.
I agree to a point. We are projecting what they COULD have done had they played a full career. There are lots of guys who are close to being in the Hall of Fame if they had just played for a different team, a different system, had a teammate who could have relieved pressure from them etc, etc.

In the end you have to look at what the career actually was. Remember, there are more HOF quality players than there are slots. I was really disappointed not to see Maxie Baughan as a senior nominee this year. He is another 9 Time Pro Bowl linebacker who should be a lock. You see guys like that, it takes away from the guys that had short careers.

Last edited by Leader In Sports; 09-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #26
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
No QBs from this list.

No TEs from this list.

Over and out...
Very nice work on your list . Would love to see Jacoby get in soon , went up against some HOF's every year LT , R. White and future HOF , Haley . Not to mention Too Tall , Harvey Martin and D Martin . Manley will be an intersesting subject as time goes by .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I agree to a point. We are projecting what they COULD have done had they played a full career. There are lots of guys who are close to being in the Hall of Fame if they had just played for a different team, a different system, had a teammate who could have relieved pressure from them etc, etc.

In the end you have to look at what the career actually was. Remember, there are more HOF quality players than there are slots. I was really disappointed not to see Maxie Baughan as a senior nominee this year. He is another 9 Time Pro Bowl linebacker who should be a lock. You see guys like that, it takes away from the guys that had short careers.
Speaking of short careers I wonder if Sayers would get in today with the more fickle criteria the voters seem to have now.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #28
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Speaking of short careers I wonder if Sayers would get in today with the more fickle criteria the voters seem to have now.
I was thinking of Sayers as I wrote that. Not only agreeing with your point, but the pool of players is SO much larger than when Sayers was elected. Every year a current era player has to wait, he only has 3-5 guys drop out of the competition (by being inducted) and has how many guys who are first year eligible?

Same issue for the Senior nominees. Only 2 of them get in a year max and there are so many eligible. Take my example of Maxie Baughan.

Maxie Baughan NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

His rookie year he won the NFL Championship with the Eagles (1960) so that checks off the championship list. He made the pro bowl all but 1 year in the 1960's which makes him 9 time pro bowl. He essentially did it playing for 2 teams. He only missed the pro bowl twice. The first time was his third year in the league. The other time was his final year in the league (1970).

Yes, he did sort of play in 1974. He was actually coaching college ball and George Allen convinced him to come to DC and be a player coach and back up Chris Hanburger. I am taking this year out of the equation.

In 11 years he made NINE Pro Bowls. His last year was 74. How is there not much talk about him?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #29
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm kinda torn on the longevity argument. What's the average career, 2-3 years? Just because a guy doesn't play 10+ years shouldn't hold him back from consideration..
I think it's more the whole body of work(i.e. career) being compare to others, if others are playing 7-10 years ....then you can't go on a mans work of just 2-3.Brett Farve first year was with the Falcons(on the bench) and after that Jerry Glandville trade him.Is it the player ...or the team around him?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I think it's more the whole body of work(i.e. career) being compare to others, if others are playing 7-10 years ....then you can't go on a mans work of just 2-3.Brett Farve first year was with the Falcons(on the bench) and after that Jerry Glandville trade him.Is it the player ...or the team around him?
Sharpe played 7 years, shouldn't that be enough?