Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Make a Decision on London Fletcher's Future

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
calia
Playmaker

Re: Make a Decision on London Fletcher's Future

I would give him at least a 2 year deal. First of all, he's surely playing well enough to start this year, and I assume he will still be a solid contributor, of not a starter next year. Second, there's no better (indeed, no other) leader on this team. We need to reward guys like Fletcher and set an example of what Redskins players should be about. Third, we should also start making noises now about whether he is interested in learning the ropes on the coaching side whenever he's ready to retire (not that we're pushing for that). Every player -- every one -- says he's like having a coach on the field, and I am sure it is true. With Chris Samuels taking steps in the direction of coaching, with Keenan McCardell doing I think a pretty good job on the WRs (given the talent he's provided), it would be great to have a bunch of former Redskins players -- and real character guys who played every down with heart and intensity -- to end up on our staff. It doesn't mean it would translate to success, and it doesn't mean that they'd have the top coaching jobs. But I think it would be great to see whether these guys can coach at the NFL level, and I am willing to bet that Fletcher can.

In my book, Fletcher is truly one of the great Redskins. I would put him up there with the likes of Darrell Green and Art Monk. Guys who come in and work like crazy, day in and day out, and do it because they so obviously love the game. They don't take days off -- heck, they don't take plays off. There are so few players like that these days and we should celebrate the ones like Fletcher who remain.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

He's may favorite redskin I hope we sigh him to a 2 year deal
Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Can't replace his leadership. Unless he wants a mint, sign him.
Well, I just happen to have a mint in my pocket! Wait, no, it's a cough drop. Darn!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
skinsfan69
Living Legend

We all love Fletch. A true pro. But it's just time to move on. I just don't understand keeping a 36 year old LB on a bad football team. We need a younger, bigger, faster guy inside. Why can't we just draft a young London Fletcher to take over the leadership role?? I understand the sentimental side to it but this is football. It's a business. And cold business sometimes. As hard as it's going to be we have to say goodbye to Fletcher this off season. Time to move on.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I would give him at least a 2 year deal. First of all, he's surely playing well enough to start this year, and I assume he will still be a solid contributor, of not a starter next year. Second, there's no better (indeed, no other) leader on this team. We need to reward guys like Fletcher and set an example of what Redskins players should be about. Third, we should also start making noises now about whether he is interested in learning the ropes on the coaching side whenever he's ready to retire (not that we're pushing for that). Every player -- every one -- says he's like having a coach on the field, and I am sure it is true. With Chris Samuels taking steps in the direction of coaching, with Keenan McCardell doing I think a pretty good job on the WRs (given the talent he's provided), it would be great to have a bunch of former Redskins players -- and real character guys who played every down with heart and intensity -- to end up on our staff. It doesn't mean it would translate to success, and it doesn't mean that they'd have the top coaching jobs. But I think it would be great to see whether these guys can coach at the NFL level, and I am willing to bet that Fletcher can.

In my book, Fletcher is truly one of the great Redskins. I would put him up there with the likes of Darrell Green and Art Monk. Guys who come in and work like crazy, day in and day out, and do it because they so obviously love the game. They don't take days off -- heck, they don't take plays off. There are so few players like that these days and we should celebrate the ones like Fletcher who remain.
Not sure I'm going to go that far. Those guys are Hall of Famers, that were drafted here and played on Super Bowl teams. Fletcher is not a Hall of Fame type player. A very good player but not on the level of Green and Monk.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
budw38
Playmaker

My guess is he leaves , GR Williams woud love to bring him to NO. Great guy great redskin , Im not sure he can take losing muh more .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I think a 2 year deal with a reasonable amount of guaranteed money is definitely worth it for him. I know he's old, but he's still playing at an extremely high level, and his intangibles are through the roof. He's our captain and the unquestioned leader in the locker room. Absolutely bring back London Fletcher, just for the right price.

That said, the guy who is going to take his place needs to be on the roster next year as well.
This. This is going to be a young team that needs leaders like Fletcher. Lunch pail guys who bring ethic and leadership to the table week in and week out. But as Scud said, you also need his heir apparent learning from him as well. Someone who can bring Fletcher's level going forward.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

I'd keep him on a short deal.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #24
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Sign him up, he can still play and has gas in the tank. They would be crazy to let him walk.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Keep Fletch, 2yr. deal max.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #26
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

one year $1.5 million deal for him, to help develop the MLB we draft, being hopefully either Burfict, Te'o, or Hightower.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
one year $1.5 million deal for him, to help develop the MLB we draft, being hopefully either Burfict, Te'o, or Hightower.
1.5 mil? This isn't the old days anymore, and he's making what, like 5 mil a year this time around? Keep him at 5 mil per year.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
1.5 mil? This isn't the old days anymore, and he's making what, like 5 mil a year this time around? Keep him at 5 mil per year.
Yeah, the vet min is $820,000 for 11+ year vets. 1.5 million is lowballing a great player like Fletch, even at his age.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #29
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I don't think Fletcher sticks around, or maybe I'm just hoping that's the case. There are plenty of good franchises that would benefit plenty from his contribution. On the other hand he's not going to make or break this team anytime soon in terms of money or record. Someone mentioned NE and Fletcher would be fantastic next to Mayo. I'm sure there will be other opportunities, but really he should just sign w/ a legit contender.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #30
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I don't see London Fletcher going anywhere. Bruce Allen will offer him the right contract and he will stick around. London Fletcher already has a SB ring as a member of the St. Louis Rams. The Redskins without London Fletcher is like the Baltimore Ravens without Ray Lewis. I don't see it happening.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote