Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Reasons for drafting Sanchez

I think we've heard enough about why we shouldn't draft Sanchez, so now I want to hear some reasons why we should draft Sanchez. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it or behind the move, I just want to hear some logical and rational reasons for taking him and shipping JC out of here.

From the little I know about Sanchez he appears to be more of a true gunslinger and definitely a more vocal leader. It looks like he throws on the run pretty well, he doesn't have a cannon arm but he looks like he can certainly make all the throws, and he's played in a pro style offense at USC. Experts say he has sound mechanics and fundamentals and is very coachable. Plus he's very accurate and makes good decisions.

What are your thoughts?

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Maybe because you know you are gonna need a QB next year anyway. JC has been done wrong, he isn't coming back when his current deal is up. You try to trade him now to recoup a draft pick or 2, and you start over. If you cant get anything for him now and he walks next season, the Skins lose out all around.

And this isn't a vote for drafting Sanchez, this goes for drafting any QB, Unless......Colt.....Nah!
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

I think you summed it up. He looks like a good QB prospect. I guess you can quibble with his lack of experience, but it does seem like his game will translate well to the pros.

I still think Campbell is a little too slow in his progressions. Of course, he's entering his second year of Zorn's offense (when Hasselbeck "got it") and figures to do much better.

Sanchez seems bright, but who knows if he can execute Zorn's reads quickly. All I know is Sanchez wouldn't do appreciably better than Campbell if we don't get the RT spot resolved.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
freddyg12
Playmaker

Good thread. Even if you want to see JC make it here, as I do, you can still acknowledge that Sanchez seems like a solid prospect & good guy. He does seem more suited to Zorn's offense than JC is.

IN a nutshell, any nfl front office can quiet its critics & fans if they make a bold move, gamble on a player & win. If Sanchez turns out to be that guy & we get him, a few years from now we can all say that DS made a great move.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

I was watching some NFL coverage on ESPN last night, and it looks like this dude is perfect for the offense we run. Now I'm not supporting getting him at all...

But...he looks like he has a quicker release, he definitely goes through his reads a lot better, he has instincts...he can geel the pocket collapsing and he rolls out, avoids pressure and makes the throw.

He's a good off balance passer. Everyone says he's lacking arm strength, but he can still gun it. I don't know, I watched some Youtube vids of him and he's made some pretty big throws.

The inexperience sounds scary, but I would hate to see him go somewhere else and become a big time QB, b/c I think he can become that.

I think if JC had some of Sanchez's intangibles and passion, JC could be elite.

Incorrect Wade...the Burgundy and Gold just ran all over you.
Soup's Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

*feel the pocket, not 'geel the pocket'...haha

Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
celts32
Playmaker

The reason plain and simple is that the Redskins lost confidence in JC. They no longer believe that he is in their long term plans. And QB is the most important position on the team. When you look at this decision you have to look at it from the point where they already decided that Jason is not the answer...then what do you do? I think if you eliminate JC from the equation it's easier to conclude that Sanchez is the right pick. What most Redskins fans are doing is saying the Redskins are wrong and Jason can be the answer.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

Like my prior post " Sanchez at 13" I believe he is the perfect quarterback for our offense. I have read many articles and send videos of his games and he seems to have that "Matt Hasselbeck" in him ala perfect quarterback for the west coast offense. He's smart, mobile, goes through his progressions fast and very accurate even on the move a plus for the west coast offense. Campbell is now 27 years old and Sanchez is like 22 years which is 5 years younger and he could be our franchise quarterback for the next 10-12 years. Also, Sanchez is already familiar with our offense since he was in it for 4 years at USC. I know that Campbell has so many coordinators but he just needs to go to a team that will let him be a classic drop back quarterback instead of a west coast quarterback which requires quick release, excellent footwork, goes through progressions at a fast pace- all of which he lacks. I totally on the draft MARK SANCHEZ BANDWAGON!!
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Anybody here actually watch all the USC games and not just Sanchez highlights?

It's beyond me that this hype machine has moved him up as much as it has...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

I wouldn't be so opposed to getting him, I just hate to give up a ton for him. I think the kid is gonna be bad@ss.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think you summed it up. He looks like a good QB prospect. I guess you can quibble with his lack of experience, but it does seem like his game will translate well to the pros.

I still think Campbell is a little too slow in his progressions. Of course, he's entering his second year of Zorn's offense (when Hasselbeck "got it") and figures to do much better.

Sanchez seems bright, but who knows if he can execute Zorn's reads quickly. All I know is Sanchez wouldn't do appreciably better than Campbell if we don't get the RT spot resolved.
I think you and Matty both make good points. And I guess the thinking is Sanchez would do a better job of masking other deficiencies (weak RT spot for example) than Campbell could.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup's Uncle View Post
I wouldn't be so opposed to getting him, I just hate to give up a ton for him. I think the kid is gonna be bad@ss.
Exactly. What's the net effect going to be of getting him, that's the big question
Old 04-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I totally agree with the people saying it's because we jilted Campbell enough that even if he tears it up, it'll be another Boldin situation.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Exactly. What's the net effect going to be of getting him, that's the big question
For me, it's not that we lose Campbell and maybe some draft picks, it's really the whole big picture. Gmanc and I were talking about it today and basically it's you have to be in one mode, rebuilding, a piece away or a dynasty. You can't be a combination of any of those.

Sure, we as fans are part of the problem since we're notoriously impatient, but seriously, sometimes we have to let management know that we're willing to wait and let the team be BUILT the right way.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
For me, it's not that we lose Campbell and maybe some draft picks, it's really the whole big picture. Gmanc and I were talking about it today and basically it's you have to be in one mode, rebuilding, a piece away or a dynasty. You can't be a combination of any of those.

Sure, we as fans are part of the problem since we're notoriously impatient, but seriously, sometimes we have to let management know that we're willing to wait and let the team be BUILT the right way.
Wow, hate to quote myself, but basically I just saw the thread about the same thing and I truly agree with everything said there.