Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #61
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
KC got a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez and he's on the downside of his career. Cooley is still in his prime and a better blocker. I wouldn't take anything less than a 3rd and a 4th. A second would be enough on its own to get the deal done, imo.
That's a good point. Gotta have a buyer though.

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #62
scott.sharrer
Camp Scrub

I know I am going to get heckled for this 1) because I am new here, and 2) I am from PA but two things I want to comment on here.

Cooley has been great to our team over the last few years, but something happened to him and he is having an off year. Fred Davis has proven he can step up. Let Cooley go, for a good price (either a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th) and use the picks to build our weak areas.

A player that, unless I missed it, has not been talked about on here that I would like to see us draft is Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State. I have watched him play over the last couple years and he is a beast on the OL. He can play Center really well but his natural position is Guard. Both are weak points on our OL. I have seen him run downfield on screens and lay people out. He has good speed for a OL, great strength and a really good football mind. He gets overlooked a lot in regards to national media because Penn State is not known for producing OL but he is definitely an exception to the rule.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #63
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.sharrer View Post
I know I am going to get heckled for this 1) because I am new here, and 2) I am from PA but two things I want to comment on here.

Cooley has been great to our team over the last few years, but something happened to him and he is having an off year. Fred Davis has proven he can step up. Let Cooley go, for a good price (either a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th) and use the picks to build our weak areas.

A player that, unless I missed it, has not been talked about on here that I would like to see us draft is Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State. I have watched him play over the last couple years and he is a beast on the OL. He can play Center really well but his natural position is Guard. Both are weak points on our OL. I have seen him run downfield on screens and lay people out. He has good speed for a OL, great strength and a really good football mind. He gets overlooked a lot in regards to national media because Penn State is not known for producing OL but he is definitely an exception to the rule.
Welcome Scott! I don't think anyone will heckle you more than they do the others. The idea of trading Cooley has been thrown out there the last year or so on this board.

Personally, I think to say Cooley is having a bad year isn't accurate. I agree w/GTripp (another poster here) in that Cooley is having a bad recieving year, in part due to the new system & McNabb forcing the ball to him. Otherwise, Cooley is blocking better than ever. He used to get dominated by bigger LBs at the line, but he really is one of the most dependable pieces on the OL now. People often forget about the TEs when mentioning the OL, but they're part of it.

I think Cooley is too valuable as a playmaker, blocker & vet leader (by example) to trade. And his contract is good value. Of course, if someone offered multiple high picks it would be foolish not to consider it, but I don't see that happening.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #64
scott.sharrer
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post

I think Cooley is too valuable as a playmaker, blocker & vet leader (by example) to trade. And his contract is good value. Of course, if someone offered multiple high picks it would be foolish not to consider it, but I don't see that happening.
I am a fast learner, and I have now learned to fully explain my point to avoid misconception. And thank you for the welcome!

I agree Cooley is very valuable as a player in regards to blocking and helping the OL. I wouldn't say he is having a bad year, just an off year (better describes my opinion). He is a great asset but, IMO, having a good back up behind him does allow some room to move him.

Honestly though, I would be just as apt to go for trading Davis. He will have some value, not as much as Cooley, but his pass play abilities would get a little value (I would guess around a 4th round pick). I just don't think with all the upgrades we need, we should keep two starting caliber TEs on the roster unless they decide to go to two TE sets next season.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

You've had some really solid posts to start here. Good to see. It's been a lonnnnng time since we've added quality members
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #66
scott.sharrer
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You've had some really solid posts to start here. Good to see. It's been a lonnnnng time since we've added quality members
Thank you. I have followed the Redskins for nearly 30 years. I was an analyst in the Navy for 8, so I am highly prone to do research before making any statements.

I know this is off topic, but I have a new blog (it will be a running blog) going at xanga.com. The running blog is titled "A truthful look at the History of the Washington Redskins". Do a search by my name there and you will find it. The research for it took me 6 months.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #67
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Yahoo's top 30 FA list:

Top 30 free agents in class of 2011 - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #68
Texanskin
Special Teams

if you thnk we should draft anything but OL in the first ound...ur nuts. 1st...RT....2nd...C....draft a QB in 2012 draft
Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #69
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

You don't need to draft an OL if there's not a good one where you're picking just to say you drafted an OL in the first round.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #70
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:

I agree with you - Cooley is the first name that comes to mind when I think of players to trade. Truly, I would consider trading every single player we could, except Trent Williams, to stockpile picks. Unfortunately, that list is short.

Landry is great, but if we could trade him and draft a starting OL, I'd do it. Same goes for Orakpo. They're great players and they're going to be even better, but they are worthless if we have no lines.

The lines should be #1 priority. Use every draft pick on linemen, hire a panel of experts, bribe people -- whatever they have to do, I don't care. Nothing else should matter more, IMO.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #71
3Card
Camp Scrub

Why RT in the first when it is our OG and C that are getting abused every week. We already have a draft pick invested in our current RT and no OG or C need to be drafted in the first round. first round pick should be used on Skill position player or another Orakpo or a QB to groom.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #72
Terpfan76
Special Teams

With the issues the team currently has at so many different positions, I feel the Skins need to just start drafting the best available player regardless of position. We certainly aren't stacked anywhere, so it wouldn't hurt. I few players I feel could be great for us but in no particular order are:

Nick Fairley DT Auburn. That guy is a beast and would look good at DE.

Nate Solder OT Colorado. He's a 6'9" converted TE. He has the athleticism to play in the zone/one cut rushing scheme.

Rodney Hudson G/C FSU. He lacks size, but is agile/quick and has been a long time starter for the Seminoles.

Marvin Austin DT UNC. I don't know how far he'll drop due to his getting kicked of the team at UNC, but his skills are many. If he falls pretty far, might be worth taking a shot at.

Stefen Wisniewski C/G PSU. Previous poster spelled it out pretty well.

Phil Taylor DT Baylor. He transferred from PSU due to lack of PT. He's massive at 6'4" 340 and would be a good fit in our 3-4 as a later round pick.

Leonard Hankerson WR Miami. Has excellent size and has been very productive at the U. We haven't had much luck with drafting wr's lately though so I'm not too excited by the idea of taking one very early.

Alex Wujack LB UMD. I don't know that he'll blow anyone away with his measurables, but I'd love to see him as an ILB wearing Burgandy and Gold. At 6'3" 250, he has pretty good size and is a tackling machine.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #73
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
I agree with you - Cooley is the first name that comes to mind when I think of players to trade. Truly, I would consider trading every single player we could, except Trent Williams, to stockpile picks. Unfortunately, that list is short.

Landry is great, but if we could trade him and draft a starting OL, I'd do it. Same goes for Orakpo. They're great players and they're going to be even better, but they are worthless if we have no lines.

The lines should be #1 priority. Use every draft pick on linemen, hire a panel of experts, bribe people -- whatever they have to do, I don't care. Nothing else should matter more, IMO.
Cooley is by no means over the hill but he's in his 7th season, no spring chicken by nfl standards. He's got some good years left, maybe 3-4 more w/60+ catches or so. But he's not likely to go for any higher than a 4th round pick. I really question the value of trading him unless someone were to make an offer we couldn't refuse.

His contract isn't an issue for us, is it?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #74
warriorzpath

Quote:
I am a fast learner, and I have now learned to fully explain my point to avoid misconception. And thank you for the welcome!

I agree Cooley is very valuable as a player in regards to blocking and helping the OL. I wouldn't say he is having a bad year, just an off year (better describes my opinion). He is a great asset but, IMO, having a good back up behind him does allow some room to move him.

Honestly though, I would be just as apt to go for trading Davis. He will have some value, not as much as Cooley, but his pass play abilities would get a little value (I would guess around a 4th round pick). I just don't think with all the upgrades we need, we should keep two starting caliber TEs on the roster unless they decide to go to two TE sets next season.

I agree with everything you said but some things that you can't disregard are -- Cooley is popular with players, coaches, and fans ; and has good character; and has been one of the faces of the team since he was drafted (and one of the last few that you can count on to continue to represent the team).

All of these off field factors matter as much as (or maybe moreso than) anything that transpires with him on the field.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #75
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I agree with everything you said but some things that you can't disregard are -- Cooley is popular with players, coaches, and fans ; and has good character; and has been one of the faces of the team since he was drafted (and one of the last few that you can count on to continue to represent the team).

All of these off field factors matter as much as (or maybe moreso than) anything that transpires with him on the field.
I didn't even mention all that in my earlier post, but was thinking it too. A lot of Skins fans would be upset if he were traded. Aside from that you list a lot of other attributes that are good for the team.

Aside from his popularity, I think he's still too valuable to an offense that doesn't have many weapons. We've all been yearning for he & Davis to line up in 2TE sets but Davis isn't getting the reps & calls that Cooley has. There may be a no. of reasons for that, but Cooley is still the starter.
Closed Thread