Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What kind of production does Doctson need in 2019 to stay with on them team ?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #76
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: What kind of production does Doctson need in 2019 to stay with on them team ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I just don't get why he is still on the roster with a 2019 cap hit of $9,674,125.
It is only $3,600,000 cap hit if we release him right now.
That would save us $6,074,125 in cap space and I would sign sign a real LG or a back up LT or a real blocking TE.
Reed's cap hit in 2020 will be $10,300,000.
His cap hit if we release him then will only be $1,800,000.
On top of the games he misses he plays banged up to the point of being useless a handful of games a year. In his whole Redskin career he has only been healthy enough to make an impact in half the games. As he gets older that will only get worse.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #77
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: What kind of production does Doctson need in 2019 to stay with on them team ?

I know this Old news that we have talkd about before .....but what kills me is this type of logic or lack of logic:
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/20...x-injury-woes/

"So after another injury plagued campaign, Redskins team president Bruce Allen brought in outside consultants who are experts in the field, and asked them to take a look at everything related to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of injuries.
Allen said the Redskins wanted to leave the slate as blank as possible."

Anyone that looks at our draft history sprinkled with drafting injured players (we had one this year) that our FO sees as a bargain. We drafted players that dropped because of injury concerns (example Guice). We also signed Free Agent WR (example Paul Richardson Jr.) to a big contract that has a history of missing time due to injures. Then we re-sign a TE (Reed) that has a huge history of concussions and injures going all the way back to college and High School to a big contract because...reasons I have heard....we do not have a replacement....he is the best TE when healthy...we hope he can stay healthy.....We hope.
Then we wonder why we have so many injuries. it doesn't take a high priced consultant to see part of the problem.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #78
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I know this Old news that we have talkd about before .....but what kills me is this type of logic or lack of logic:

"So after another injury plagued campaign, Redskins team president Bruce Allen brought in outside consultants who are experts in the field, and asked them to take a look at everything related to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of injuries.

Anyone that looks at our draft history sprinkled with drafting injured players (we had one this year) that our FO sees as a bargain. We drafted players that dropped because of injury concerns (example Guice). We also signed Free Agent WR (example Paul Richardson Jr.) to a big contract that has a history of missing time due to injures. Then we re-sign a TE (Reed) that has a huge history of concussions and injures going all the way back to college and High School to a big contract because...reasons I have heard....we do not have a replacement....he is the best TE when healthy...we hope he can stay healthy.....We hope.
Then we wonder why we have so many injuries. it doesn't take a high priced consultant to see part of the problem.
Well, we signed Alex Smith, a veteran QB with a history of being durable, yet he has a freak accident and he's gone for the season. Schreff also didn't have a history of injuries (I think), and he went down. So our two biggest/most impactful injuries this year happened with players that didn't have a history of injuries.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #79
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:

I agree with you. We tend to draft guys who fall in the draft due to injury issues and then are surprised when they get hurt in the NFL. We keep players like Reed who miss much of the season, year after year, due to concussions or injuries. Then we have to retain old dudes like Vernon Davis to back Reed up for when he is hurt!

some injuries, like alex smith and Colt mccoy are just part of being in the NFL. But the team just has to make the tough choices with explosive players like Reed. He's outstanding, when he's 100%, but would it not be better to get a young guy who may not have as much upside but can play every game?

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #80
FWD Skins
Impact Rookie

They'll probably continue to target him 2-3 times a game and then bitch that he isn't catching 10 passes a game. This organization is run by idiots.

Doctson will go elsewhere and make the Skins look completely stupid, which they are.
FWD Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #81
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD Skins View Post
They'll probably continue to target him 2-3 times a game and then bitch that he isn't catching 10 passes a game. This organization is run by idiots.

Doctson will go elsewhere and make the Skins look completely stupid, which they are.
He has had ample chances here. He is simply wr bust.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 PM   #82
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWD Skins View Post

Because we've let three 1,000 yd WR go to other teams and with reed often hurt, Doctson has had PLENTY of chances. If he wasn't a #1 draft pick I think they would have let him go already. Cam Sims, Tret Quinn and MacLaurin are moving up fast. If he can't make it here with one of the worst WR groups in the NFL (based on last years numbers) why would anyone else want him?

Flyboy.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #83
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Because we've let three 1,000 yd WR go to other teams and with reed often hurt, Doctson has had PLENTY of chances. If he wasn't a #1 draft pick I think they would have let him go already. Cam Sims, Tret Quinn and MacLaurin are moving up fast. If he can't make it here with one of the worst WR groups in the NFL (based on last years numbers) why would anyone else want him?

Doctson has had 4 seasons to show what he’s got. He’s been mediocre. If he doesn’t seriously bust out this year, the ‘skins won’t keep him and no one else will want him either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #84
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Doctson has had 4 seasons to show what he’s got. He’s been mediocre. If he doesn’t seriously bust out this year, the ‘skins won’t keep him and no one else will want him either

Truly, it is a stretch to label Doctson as mediocre. He hasn't even achieved that level. He is a poor NFL receiver who might be long gone from here by now if he hadn't been a 1st round draft pick.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #85
WillH
The Starter

Re: What kind of production does Doctson need in 2019 to stay on them team ?

Hmmm...

It depends on hours the others do too some degree too, but it's tricky in and of itself. If he does too well, it'll be difficult to sign him, and if he doesn't do enough, good riddance.

I'd say 6TD 600yds would be about the sweet spot.

Honestly though getting hype about Josh is futile at this point, he's a wuss, he has one great ability that he only delivers on half the time, and even if he has a breakout year of 10TDs and 900yards or something, no chance we could afford to keep him.

My best case scenario...

By week 4 he's got 5TD and 500 yds and we can trade him for a 5th rounder to a contender with WR injuries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #86
Warthog
The Starter

I think Docston is one of those players who does well in training camp but can't do it on the football field. He's got real competition this year from hungry, talented, fast and young rookies and second-year WR. Either he steps up his game on the field or he will be passed by guys like Quinn, Sims (both of them), MacLaurin and Harmon.

Flyboy.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #87
Warthog
The Starter

Re: What kind of production does Doctson need in 2019 to stay on them team ?

I think the team will drop Doctson in the pre-season. Here’s my thinking,

McLaurin is outplaying him in TC. He’s a rookie and has more upside including being a #1 WR on the cheap. He’s going to be another Chris Coolie.

Let’s say Doctson has a good season. He’s going to want a big contract. Does the team give it to him based on one good season out of five? NO WAY! This team let 1000 yds WR go to other teams DJAx, Garçon and Crowder, but they’re going to keep Doctson based on one good season?

So if he has a good season he ends up on another team.

If he has a normal Doctson season then the team let a good rookie or 2nd year WR go, who might have a real future with the Redskins.

Gruden is talking up Doctson to help him get a place on another team.

I’d take Cam Sims or Harmon or perhaps Davis over Doctson. They are younger, cheaper, better and may have a future with the ‘skins.

Flyboy.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #88
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut, but still thinks he makes the team. He needs to be at least reasonably impressive in the preseason. I really like Sims' size, Davis' athleticism, and heard a lot of other positive stuff about a lot of the other new guys (Mclaurin, etc.) Gruden needs to play him v. Cincy. Still stunned he didn't play v. Cleveland.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #89
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut, but still thinks he makes the team. He needs to be at least reasonably impressive in the preseason. I really like Sims' size, Davis' athleticism, and heard a lot of other positive stuff about a lot of the other new guys (Mclaurin, etc.) Gruden needs to play him v. Cincy. Still stunned he didn't play v. Cleveland.
I hate to point this out to you, but a lot of the "starters" didn't play in the Cleveland game. That could mean that he is considered to be a starter. Heaven help us, Gruden is probably planning to start him even though he surely won't be with us next season. That's a Jay Gruden-like thing to do.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #90
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

To answer the original question, I think Doctson would rejoin the team in 2020 if he put up 150 receptions, 2k yards, 25 td's, and became the best blocking WR on the team. Anything less and he's gone.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote