Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #1036
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Mmmmh. It was my understanding the only things to match were the average/year and the guaranteed money.
Must have misunderstood, can't find anything online really detailed about what you'd have to match.
You're required to completely match the offer. Everything about it. If he gets a QB nook in a deal with Denver, you have to match and give him a QB nook.

Everything. From signing bonus, to yearly salaries, to roster bonuses, to incentives, every last thing.

Advertisements
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #1037
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
You're required to completely match the offer. Everything about it. If he gets a QB nook in a deal with Denver, you have to match and give him a QB nook.

Everything. From signing bonus, to yearly salaries, to roster bonuses, to incentives, every last thing.
My understanding is not everything - they cannot put POISON pills in the contract - i.e the contract becomes fully guaranteed if Kirk cousins plays in DC 4 games next year. This was done away with at the last CBA

However you do have to match salary structure, bonuses and incentives.

On top of this, if we match an offer- lets be real, Cousins doesn't have to sign our offer over the other teams. He can choose Denver or whoever. I think people forget he has to WANT to stay in DC over another team.
so lets all be real and just come to reality that unless we tag him for 34 mil, hes gone unless Allen and Snyder overpay him grossly.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #1038
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Denver can only get him through trade. The Browns have two picks in the first and have wasted multiple picks on quarterbacks only to have it not work out, so have the Jets. Arizona pick location makes it difficult to get a blue chip top tier QB, they have also historically preferred veteran quarterbacks. There is an absolutely a market for a trade.

If I am Denver, I would trade that pick for Kirk and not blink an eye. They have everything else in place to be a Superbowl caliber team. Redskins absolutely must pursue a trade. Kirk Cousin has no intention of returning to DC.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #1039
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Denver can only get him through trade. The Browns have two picks in the first and have wasted multiple picks on quarterbacks only to have it not work out, so have the Jets. Arizona pick location makes it difficult to get a blue chip top tier QB, they have also historically preferred veteran quarterbacks. There is an absolutely a market for a trade.

If I am Denver, I would trade that pick for Kirk and not blink an eye. They have everything else in place to be a Superbowl caliber team. Redskins absolutely must pursue a trade. Kirk Cousin has no intention of returning to DC.
I agree...

I would offer him a solid deal first....if he rejects it tell him he will be franchised but we will seek a trade. There are 5 immediate teams Arizona, Jags, Jets, Browns, Broncos...that will be interested. Start there.

He Gets Us
Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #1040
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Denver is a mess. They've lost good players through free agency, their o-line sucks, wr's are getting older, the HC is on real shaky ground and was almost fired. Miller is basically getting QB money, terrible contract. They're a 5 win team. Cousins may get them a few more wins but their SB contending days are over.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #1041
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
My understanding is not everything - they cannot put POISON pills in the contract - i.e the contract becomes fully guaranteed if Kirk cousins plays in DC 4 games next year. This was done away with at the last CBA

However you do have to match salary structure, bonuses and incentives.

On top of this, if we match an offer- lets be real, Cousins doesn't have to sign our offer over the other teams. He can choose Denver or whoever. I think people forget he has to WANT to stay in DC over another team.
so lets all be real and just come to reality that unless we tag him for 34 mil, hes gone unless Allen and Snyder overpay him grossly.
From wiki (yeah... sorry):

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

But yeah it does imply everything else has to be matched.

However about the bolded part, under the transition tag I'm pretty sure Cousins would have no choice but to play for the Skins if he signed an offer that we would match.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #1042
MTK
\m/

Do you really want to force him to be here if he doesn’t want to be though??
Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #1043
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't. If he doesn't want to be here, let him walk.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #1044
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Do you really want to force him to be here if he doesn’t want to be though??
I really don't think there's any evidence he doesn't want to be here.

I even think his fans Q&A at his charity event gave good clues of what he wants: he wants to be wanted, he wants to be paid, and he wants to win.
He even said his agent told him the last Skins' offer was legit (but they'd had even better leverage next year).

He's been successful here.
And as many have said here, it's a business and he's a pro, so why would he be unhappy to play here for the same money he would accept elsewhere?

I have very little hope the FO will do the right things to keep him here though.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #1045
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pay the man and lets avoid the drama.
I agree. He's the team's best player and its much easier to build around a know commodity at QB than bringing in a rookie and trying to build around the lesser elements of the team.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #1046
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I agree. He's the team's best player and its much easier to build around a know commodity at QB than bringing in a rookie and trying to build around the lesser elements of the team.
I'd say at least Trent Williams is without a doubt a better player, and you can argue about Scherff and Norman when healthy.

But yeah pay him.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #1047
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I'd say at least Trent Williams is without a doubt a better player, and you can argue about Scherff and Norman when healthy.

But yeah pay him.
But staying healthy is a huge part of it. If you cant stay healthy it doesn't matter how good you are. Durability is the most under-rated and least talked about aspect of KC and IMO its one if his biggest assets.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #1048
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

But yeah pay him.
Trent is the best LT in football, the dude never gives up a sack it seems. I agree he's our best player.

Kirk is top 3 on the team though.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #1049
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Trent is the best LT in football, the dude never gives up a sack it seems. I agree he's our best player.

Kirk is top 3 on the team though.
Agreed.

And as Irish pointed out his ability to stay healthy is a big asset.

It's crazy how virtually every body wants him to stay and very few think he will. Says a lot about our FO.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #1050
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I agree...

I would offer him a solid deal first....if he rejects it tell him he will be franchised but we will seek a trade. There are 5 immediate teams Arizona, Jags, Jets, Browns, Broncos...that will be interested. Start there.
Kirk to the Jags would be a great fit. He could help make them perennial contenders. IMO, they are a perfect example of a team that could go to the next level and stay there by adding a solid QB.