Let's go Terps

Other Sports

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #61
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Let's go Terps

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
no your good buddy, just dont wear any bo sox gear at an Os game when we are not playing the sox and i wont have to take your hat off for you.

No I don't actually I hardly ever sport Sox stuff, to many Pink Hat Nation groupies now a days. I can remember the dark days of Boston baseball we would go up and someone would give you a ticket. now a days it cost a million bucks to see them.

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #62
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW428 View Post
Come on man. Thats a horrible thing to say...
Why? I have zero allegiance to UMD and I don't like Vasquez at all. If I'm going to cheer for a local team, it's the Hoyas, who had a nice win today over Syracuse!!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #63
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Why? I have zero allegiance to UMD and I don't like Vasquez at all. If I'm going to cheer for a local team, it's the Hoyas, who had a nice win today over Syracuse!!
Why hate then? I honestly don't understand how can someone hate another team without a good reason. It's kinda how it puzzles me how many football fans hate the Redskins (who are not fans of NFC East teams).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #64
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Why hate then? I honestly don't understand how can someone hate another team without a good reason. It's kinda how it puzzles me how many football fans hate the Redskins (who are not fans of NFC East teams).
Did I say I hate them? I don't like Vasquez, but I don't hate the Terps in general. Some of my closest friends went to Maryland, so it's nice to see them happy when UMD has success. But I always smirk when they lose because I like to see Vasquez frustrated. Little punk.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #65
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Did I say I hate them? I don't like Vasquez, but I don't hate the Terps in general. Some of my closest friends went to Maryland, so it's nice to see them happy when UMD has success. But I always smirk when they lose because I like to see Vasquez frustrated. Little punk.
I have mixed feelings about Vasquez...well up until last year. I thought his emotion led to a lot of mistakes. I can see why he can be seen as a punk, but I also know people that have worked with him (I'm an academic advisor) and see a different side.

This reminds me, I need to register to fill out my bracket. LOL.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #66
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Vasquez...well up until last year. I thought his emotion led to a lot of mistakes. I can see why he can be seen as a punk, but I also know people that have worked with him (I'm an academic advisor) and see a different side.

This reminds me, I need to register to fill out my bracket. LOL.
A few of our employees are current UMD students, and they have some stories of firsthand encounters with him. Arrogant prick seems to be the consensus. Maybe it's just a front and/or defense mechanism and your friends have seen a different side. I'm just going off of what I've seen and heard.

For example, this one guy (who is small, quiet, and mild-mannered) said Vasquez always speeds around campus on his moped, and nearly ran him over one day last fall. The guy told him to slow down, and he said Vasquez screeched the moped to a halt and cussed him out right there on the sidewalk. Mind you Vasquez is about a foot taller than this guy. Sounds like a quality individual.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #67
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
HOYAS!!!

Some of my closest friends went to Maryland too and are Terps fans and they annoy the crap out of me. Especially all those years when the Terps would lose early in the tournament, those guys would be in complete denial or start bitching about some sort of curse. So yeah...I don't care for the Terps. Don't mind the football team though, don't root for them though.

Have I ever told you my Stevie Francis story?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #68
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
HOYAS!!!

Some of my closest friends went to Maryland too and are Terps fans and they annoy the crap out of me. Especially all those years when the Terps would lose early in the tournament, those guys would be in complete denial or start bitching about some sort of curse. So yeah...I don't care for the Terps. Don't mind the football team though, don't root for them though.

No you haven't. Do tell....

Gary Williams just isn't a very good recruiter. The DC Metro area is full of some of the best high school talent in the country, and he rarely lands any of them. I don't think he'll ever sniff another final four.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #69
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
A few of our employees are current UMD students, and they have some stories of firsthand encounters with him. Arrogant prick seems to be the consensus. Maybe it's just a front and/or defense mechanism and your friends have seen a different side. I'm just going off of what I've seen and heard.

For example, this one guy (who is small, quiet, and mild-mannered) said Vasquez always speeds around campus on his moped, and nearly ran him over one day last fall. The guy told him to slow down, and he said Vasquez screeched the moped to a halt and cussed him out right there on the sidewalk. Mind you Vasquez is about a foot taller than this guy. Sounds like a quality individual.
Well come to think of it, I would say that there is a difference between a student athlete interacting with an administrator. I do remember as an undergrad having run-ins with arrogant athletes too, so it doesn't surprise me.

Quote:

Gary Williams just isn't a very good recruiter. The DC Metro area is full of some of the best high school talent in the country, and he rarely lands any of them. I don't think he'll ever sniff another final four.
Well I think Terp fans have mixed feelings about this. Last year it was a huge discussion and many fans were calling for his resignation or for him to get fired because of it.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #70
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Well come to think of it, I would say that there is a difference between a student athlete interacting with an administrator. I do remember as an undergrad having run-ins with arrogant athletes too, so it doesn't surprise me.
I had my share of run-ins with arrogant athletes at Florida as well. A lot of them are real jerk-offs. Just young and stupid really.

I randomly met and conversed with Joakim Noah and Al Horford for about 20 minutes one night during their last year at Florida, and they were two of the nicest dudes you could meet. Probably the exception rather than the norm.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #71
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I had my share of run-ins with arrogant athletes at Florida as well. A lot of them are real jerk-offs. Just young and stupid really.

I randomly met and conversed with Joakim Noah and Al Horford for about 20 minutes one night during their last year at Florida, and they were two of the nicest dudes you could meet. Probably the exception rather than the norm.
Oh most definitely. For a time I did athlete interviews as part of admissions. It was cool with some athletes, but some of the most touted ones were a pain to deal with.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #72
JLW428
Special Teams

Quote:
HOYAS!!!

Sounds like another fan base I know of...[caugh, caugh]
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #73
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
HOYAS!!!

They talk a lot of shit when doing well and sulk when they're not, agreed.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #74
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
They talk a lot of shit when doing well and sulk when they're not, agreed.
So you expect us to talk a lot of shit when we're not doing well? That's just ignorant.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #75
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

So it's one of my first jobs in the biz and I'm assisant producing a local sports show, which mainly meant the guests were comfortable and ready to go (among other responsibilities).

So one day Stevie Franchise comes to the studio for an interview, this is just after he and his teammates basically tanked it and lost to I believe UCLA in the 2nd round.

So I welcome him to the studio, tell him what the game plan is going to be for the show, what we'd like to talk about, ask him if there's anything he wants to talk about, the usual. So then I take him to the actual set, get his mike on, and tell him to just sit tight and we'll get started in a few minutes.

So I go back to the control room to get ready for the show. Now, the set has basically life size cut-outs of different DC area sports personalities. One of them is Gary Williams.

So I'm in the control room and we have the cameras and overhead mikes on. No one is there but Francis. Suddenly he gets up, walks up to the Williams cut out and starts getting in its face, then he starts saying (and I'm only slightly exaggerating) "What? What? You wanna go? Wanna do this? what?" then he steps back and then steps right back up with his fist cocked "Yeah motherfucker. What!" "Man, fuck you, you piece of shit!. Fuck you. I'm about to count my money. You ain't shit" Then he starts kicking the damn thing!

All of us just stood there stunned. Then he stopped and walked back to his seat and we got started a few minutes later. None of us dared mention anything we saw to him.