Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #61
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Graham Gano has to Go !!

Jason Reid just posted this:

Graham Gano is 31st in the NFL on field goals

Redskins place kicker Graham Gano ranks only 31st in the league in field goals made, with a 72.2 percentage. He has converted all 13 of his point-after attempts.

The strong-legged kicker has 50-plus-yard range on field-goal attempts, but he has struggled at times in his first full season in the NFL.

in Week 2, Houston Coach Gary Kubiak successfully iced Gano in Washington's 30-27 loss in overtime at FedEx Field, calling a timeout before Gano missed a potential game-winning 52-yard kick. In the fourth quarter of Sunday's 17-14 victory over Chicago, Gano missed a 37-yard field-goal attempt that would have extended Washington's lead to six points, sending the ball off the left upright.

Gano said he struck the ball well but the wind at Soldier Field didn't cooperate.

"I think he said it best, that he probably wishes he played the wind a little bit more," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "The wind was blowing pretty consistently and it hit the upright. That is football. I got a lot of confidence in him."

Gano is talented and he's a hard-working kid, special teams coordinator Danny Smith tells me. That's good enough for me.

But despite having the support of Shanahan and Smith, Gano probably needs to finish the first half with a good performance against Detroit at Ford Field. With Washington beginning its bye week after that game, it would not be surprising, if Gano struggles against the Lions, to see a place-kicking tryout at Redskins Park during the team's time off.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Advertisements
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #62
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
He is still better than the worst redskins kicker of all time, John Hall. John Hall was absolutley worse than Suishit or anybody else we ever had.

Watching games in 2006, when you'd have a 30 yard attempt, you'd automatically know that Hall would blow it. He was that bad.
Boy SS, I'll be honest, when I read this post I cannot see a single connection between what you wrote and what you were referring to below. :confused:

That'd be like me saying DeAngelo Hall is the worst corner of all time, then trying to imply what I'm saying is that the Redskins are having a bad season.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #63
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I dont see anything wrong or incorrect with what J.Reid is saying.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #64
Coool3y47
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthehouse View Post
Guys..need to remember
He's still basically a rookie..
He did play at the end of last season as an official rookie,but I like him.

Yes,he's missed his share of kicks,but he's also hit some big ones too.
I actually think he's opposite of Squeezim'...

He misses the kicks that are not killers...and makes the clutch kicks...

Like today...he made the clutch 45 yarder to go up 17-14,but missed his 2nd try after a doink...but really,he was not a killer because if they kick a fg...we are in OT

If they score a TD..we lose anyway by 1

Remember...he made the big kick against the Texcans from 52...then was iced..that's no gimme

He makes the big kick against greenbay to win

No way would i dump a young kicker GUYS!! NO way!

We had a kicker on this squad a few years a go that missed his share of kicks as well..

By the name of David Akers..

No way do I give up on this young kid!
Were 4-3...enjoy it
go smoke a bowl or something
Second this motion!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #65
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Tell you what.... locate a kicker who's better then Gano, send him to Redskins Park, and have him try out for the Skins. He/She does better and Gano is replaced all us fans will look at you like a demi god. Maybe.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #66
GusFrerotte

Come on now, all of us were singing his praises a few weeks ago. Let the guy finish the season and then start a dump Gano thread if he truly sucks. Our offensive woes have a lot more to do with things not pertaining to Gano. But I think we should try and draft a K soon, preferably one that has a knack for making the clutch kicks. Thing is there isn't too many to choose from every year.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #67
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Come on now, all of us were singing his praises a few weeks ago. Let the guy finish the season and then start a dump Gano thread if he truly sucks. Our offensive woes have a lot more to do with things not pertaining to Gano. But I think we should try and draft a K soon, preferably one that has a knack for making the clutch kicks. Thing is there isn't too many to choose from every year.
That's not always the solution, I mean we all thought Durant Brooks was the second coming of Ray Guy until we saw that he sucked something awful in games. Lets just give Gano a chance. It was hardly ideal conditions in Chicago.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #68
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Gano will be just fine. People forget about some of the big kicks that he has made , including the FGs to tie and beat Green Bay. Who have we had better on kickoffs in the last decade, with the possible exception of John Hall before he hurt his leg? Gano will eventually be an above average kicker for a long time in this league. Hopefully Shanny will be patient enough to let it happen here, because I could see him becoming another David Akers for someone else if we cut him.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #69
SBXVII
Franchise Player

People also forget that even the best Kickers on other teams are missing easy kicks.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #70
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Boy SS, I'll be honest, when I read this post I cannot see a single connection between what you wrote and what you were referring to below. :confused:

That'd be like me saying DeAngelo Hall is the worst corner of all time, then trying to imply what I'm saying is that the Redskins are having a bad season.
I was unaware of Hall's history of leg injuries prior to researching him, which is when i posted it. Hall had major injuries that really affected him during his time here. he was not as horrible as I implied.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #71
scowan
The Starter

Gano won't stuggle in Detroit, because its a dome. I would hate to be Robbie Gould and have to kick in Chicago 8 times a year. These dome kickers have it made.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #72
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan View Post
Gano won't stuggle in Detroit, because its a dome. I would hate to be Robbie Gould and have to kick in Chicago 8 times a year. These dome kickers have it made.
Or a kicker for Green Bay. Probably feels like kicking a cinder block.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #73
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I totally agree. Gano is the most talented young kicker we've had since Chip Lohmiller, whom I recall lost games with big kicks as a rookie. I say ride out his growing pains, and we just might be rewarded with years of solid kicking. He's certainly the best that we've had on kickoffs in years. Don't forget the long kick he made at the end of the Dallas game. People act as if he's choking on every clutch kick, and that is certainly not the case.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #74
CapitalPunishment
Camp Scrub

I totally agree that we should KEEP him. He is young, has a great leg, has made great kicks, and again, HE IS YOUNG! I love his kickoffs as well. I think accuracy will come with maturity.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #75
GTripp0012
Living Legend

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 SPECIAL TEAMS RATINGS

Can't underestimate the role of kick coverage in this rating, but only Atlanta, Baltimore, and Seattle have even 50% of our kickoff unit value. A lot of that is power and directional accuracy from Gano.