Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Those who have been around the Warpath long enough know that Crazy Canuck tends to jump into action around this time of year, meticulously minding the Redskins' salary cap numbers. I love to take a look at his spreadsheets, found at the link in my signature, because they can tell you so much about the team's offseason plans.

As I did last year, I'll eventually start a thread projecting some of the contract and roster moves the team will likely make. As a prelude to that detailed look, below is a list of the players you can be assured will be Redskins in 2009, for better or worse.

CrazyCanuck's "release fee" tab is extremely helpful. (Click here, then click the Release Fee tab at the bottom). The 2009 column shows the cap number for the player in 2009. The "R Fee" column just to the right shows what the cap number would be if we cut or traded that player. Essentially, if the R Fee number is lower, we could save money by jettisoning the guy.

The Redskins are over the cap as of right now, and will work to get under it. To that end, they will make cuts, trades, restructure offers and extension offers. But one thing they'll hesitate to do is cut or trade anyone whose R Fee is higher than their 2009 cap number. This does not rule out the possibility by any means - JLC has mentioned on Redskins Insider the possibility of Carlos Rogers being traded. The Redskins could move forward with such a transaction, but Rogers makes the list below because trading him would cause the 'Skins to carry $3.9 million on their books instead of the current $2.4 million.

Because of these financial considerations, it makes the Redskins more likely to carry these guys in 2009:

Chris Cooley
Counts $3.0 million on the roster
Counts $11.1 million if cut or traded

Clinton Portis
Counts $5.6 million on the roster
Counts $13.3 million if cut or traded

Randy Thomas
Counts $4.9 million on the roster
Counts $9.5 million if cut or traded

Jon Jansen
Counts $3.4 million on the roster
Counts $6.2 million if cut or traded

LaRon Landry
Counts $5.4 million on the roster
Counts $7.6 million if cut or traded

London Fletcher
Counts $4.3 million on the roster
Counts $6.3 million if cut or traded

Carlos Rogers
Counts $2.4 million on the roster
Counts $3.9 million if cut or traded

Ladell Betts
Counts $2.0 million on the roster
Counts $2.8 million if cut or traded

Antwaan Randle El
Counts $6.1 million on the roster
Counts $6.7 million if cut or traded

Santana Moss
Counts $6.7 million on the roster
Counts $7.2 million if cut or traded

Andre Carter
Counts $6.6 million on the roster
Counts $6.8 million if cut or traded

Chris Samuels
Counts $9.3 million on the roster
Counts $9.4 million if cut or traded

Most of these players are guys we absolutely want to see in Burgundy & Gold in 2009, so this initial post is much to do about nothing. But Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas are two declining players who the Redskins are likely stuck with in 2009.

In future posts and threads, we'll look at cuts and restructures the Redskins are likely to make in the offseason.

Last edited by Schneed10; 01-04-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: 2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Jeez I luv this website.

Anywho, Springs salary is just a shocker no matter how many times I see it. He's traded or cut. JT should restructure and save us a bundle as should Marcus if he wants to stay. Hard to know where to look next.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
backrow
The Starter

One thing Crazy Canuck is not is.........well, crazy!

Brilliant is more like it!

Springs is 8.483 mil. to keep, 2.483 mil. to cut or release?

Last edited by backrow; 01-04-2009 at 10:25 PM.
backrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
One thing Crazy Canuck is not is.........well, crazy!

Brilliant is more like it!

Springs is 8.483 mil. to keep, 2.483 mil. to cut or release?
Yeah he's a prime candidate for a major move. Strictly from a financial perspective he's a candidate to be cut. The team could save $6 million of cap space by doing so.

But we saw Blache start Springs and Hall coming down the stretch. And so far we have no reason to believe Vinny Cerrato subscribes to the same thinking the Philadelphia Eagles do, which is to jettison players before they reach the twilight of their careers. If anything, the acquisition of Jason Taylor shows that Vinny's not afraid to have old guys on the books.

My judgment is the Redskins will extend Springs in a manner allowing him to return this season at a much lower cap figure. However if we do that, I'll be very curious to see how Vinny manages the downside risk of potential cap hits in 2010 and beyond for a graybeard corner (assuming there still is a cap).
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

Great stuff Schneed10. Thanks! Info like this sure makes roster moves easier to understand. Would cutting Marcus Washington and then resigning him to a lesser contract if no one else was interested be feasible?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
NM Redskin
The Starter

Rodger's cap number looks very doable for a trade.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
(assuming there still is a cap).
With you touching on the subject, what happens to these numbers if the union and owners do not come to an agreement? I am going out on a limb and guessing that the Redskins wont be the only team in bad shape. From what I remember, from the last union negotiation, doesn't all of the players bonus money come due immediately? I am sure that you or crazycanuck(sp) can help out on this issue.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Redskin View Post
Rodger's cap number looks very doable for a trade.
Unless it is a 1st round pick, I am hoping that we do not trade Rodger's. With Springs getting older I think that Rodgers and Hall would be a great CB duo.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Randle El is seriously overpaid for a borderline #2/#3 receiver. The mistakes of the disastrous 2006 offseason are still coming home to roost. ARE might have more value if we utilized him as a "Wildcat" QB several plays per game. If the young receivers drafted last year don't step up, we are in big, big trouble offensively.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
GusFrerotte

Taylor, Springs, JC and Washington are all up for renewal after '09 with hefty cap hits if released. A lot of "scrubs" are also up for renewal in '09: Batisite, Heyer, Montgomery from the O line. Thrash, Yoder, plus Wilson, Buzbee, and ALexander, all from the D line. Most of the "scrubs" carry a low penalty cap if cut, so some of those guys will be the sacrificial lambs come draft day. I say just ride out the "stars" and don't resign them, with the exception of JC if he does show improvement.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Using CrazyCanuck's excellent spreadsheet, here are the primary opportunities for cap savings: Jason Taylor $8.5M, Shawn Springs $6.0M, Marcus Washington $4.5M, Phillip Daniels $2.3M. Total = $21.3M.

IMHO, if we cut all four of these players, it wouldn't hurt our defense one bit. Then we could use the cap space to sign young FA offensive linemen to rebuild our OL.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

We need to get rid of Moss and/or ARE. They cost roughly the same to trade as they do to keep. If we could get a 3rd rounder for Moss or a 5th rounder for ARE, we should do it.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
We need to get rid of Moss and/or ARE. They cost roughly the same to trade as they do to keep. If we could get a 3rd rounder for Moss or a 5th rounder for ARE, we should do it.
I guess if the goal is to make the team worse, that would make sense.

I have a hard time seeing how getting rid of a starting player for a 3rd round pick while gaining no cap space in the process would benefit the team.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Those who have been around the Warpath long enough know that Crazy Canuck tends to jump into action around this time of year, meticulously minding the Redskins' salary cap numbers. I love to take a look at his spreadsheets, found at the link in my signature, because they can tell you so much about the team's offseason plans.

As I did last year, I'll eventually start a thread projecting some of the contract and roster moves the team will likely make. As a prelude to that detailed look, below is a list of the players you can be assured will be Redskins in 2009, for better or worse.

CrazyCanuck's "release fee" tab is extremely helpful. (Click here, then click the Release Fee tab at the bottom). The 2009 column shows the cap number for the player in 2009. The "R Fee" column just to the right shows what the cap number would be if we cut or traded that player. Essentially, if the R Fee number is lower, we could save money by jettisoning the guy.

The Redskins are over the cap as of right now, and will work to get under it. To that end, they will make cuts, trades, restructure offers and extension offers. But one thing they'll hesitate to do is cut or trade anyone whose R Fee is higher than their 2009 cap number. This does not rule out the possibility by any means - JLC has mentioned on Redskins Insider the possibility of Carlos Rogers being traded. The Redskins could move forward with such a transaction, but Rogers makes the list below because trading him would cause the 'Skins to carry $3.9 million on their books instead of the current $2.4 million.

Because of these financial considerations, it makes the Redskins more likely to carry these guys in 2009:

Chris Cooley
Counts $3.0 million on the roster
Counts $11.1 million if cut or traded

Clinton Portis
Counts $5.6 million on the roster
Counts $13.3 million if cut or traded

Randy Thomas
Counts $4.9 million on the roster
Counts $9.5 million if cut or traded

Jon Jansen
Counts $3.4 million on the roster
Counts $6.2 million if cut or traded

LaRon Landry
Counts $5.4 million on the roster
Counts $7.6 million if cut or traded

London Fletcher
Counts $4.3 million on the roster
Counts $6.3 million if cut or traded

Carlos Rogers
Counts $2.4 million on the roster
Counts $3.9 million if cut or traded

Ladell Betts
Counts $2.0 million on the roster
Counts $2.8 million if cut or traded

Antwaan Randle El
Counts $6.1 million on the roster
Counts $6.7 million if cut or traded

Santana Moss
Counts $6.7 million on the roster
Counts $7.2 million if cut or traded

Andre Carter
Counts $6.6 million on the roster
Counts $6.8 million if cut or traded

Chris Samuels
Counts $9.3 million on the roster
Counts $9.4 million if cut or traded

Most of these players are guys we absolutely want to see in Burgundy & Gold in 2009, so this initial post is much to do about nothing. But Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas are two declining players who the Redskins are likely stuck with in 2009.

In future posts and threads, we'll look at cuts and restructures the Redskins are likely to make in the offseason.
I'm not sure who is doing these contracts but why in the world is it going to cost money to cut Jansen? Didn't the team realize that he might be in
decline at this point of his career? Increasing his chances of being cut??

Also it appears we're stuck with two guys that are not worth the money they're getting paid. ARE and Andre Carter.

Also could you explain how we're over the cap? Doesn't the cap go up? Is it true that during the playing season we're under the cap? Why all of a sudden are we over it?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm not sure who is doing these contracts but why in the world is it going to cost money to cut Jansen? Didn't the team realize that he might be in
decline at this point of his career? Increasing his chances of being cut??

Also it appears we're stuck with two guys that are not worth the money they're getting paid. ARE and Andre Carter.

Also could you explain how we're over the cap? Doesn't the cap go up? Is it true that during the playing season we're under the cap? Why all of a sudden are we over it?
We were indeed under the cap during the 2008 season (as we had to be). The salaries and bonuses paid to players in 2008 were what counted against the 2008 cap. The cap was $116 million.

In 2009 the cap has indeed gone up, we're estimating to about $123 million at this point. But it's the 2009 salaries and bonuses that count now, the 2008 numbers are history. Salaries and bonuses are higher in 2009 than they were in 2008, putting us about $3 million over the cap right now.

Never fear, this is a normal course of business for the Redskins and many other NFL teams. They will have no problem getting well under the cap for 2009.