Zorn explains why he held Portis out in second half

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

But Zorn indicated Monday he felt backup Ladell Betts was better prepared than Portis, particularly when it came to passing situations, which the Redskins (7-6) were in plenty while trailing throughout Sunday's game.
"Without Clinton practicing, and Ladell practicing all of those protection schemes and route-running, we just felt very confident that (Betts) could ... (play) well in what we called him to do," Zorn said.

Let me just say this is bullshit and its tellin gme a lot about Zorn and that he is a rookie coach that was panicking. First of all this tells me he wanted to pass more..Which is good. But this also tells me he is full of it if he thnks Betts is better at pass protection. What he is ultimately saying is that Betts set up for screens better. Which aren't the best thing to run against B-More. I have lost alot of confidence in his coaching ability. Where is the Zorn-o-meter..

I mean..The game was not out of hand and Clinto had a few good rushes and could have got it going..Zorn doesn't have any confidence in his players and I chalk up some of these losses to him and his playcalling and decision making..He needs to step his game up..
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
bedlamVR
Special Teams

Re: Zorn explains why he held Portis out in second half

I think this is saying something about the relationship between Jim Zorn and Clinton Portis . Under Gibbs Portis got away with an awful lot of sloppy play in the passing game . Portis is an amazing athelete . He runs fantasitcally, hits the holes well, works well with Sellers etc and in pass protection he is a beast .

BUT.

He often decides to take himself out of the passing game by staying in to lay those hits down and that in the Gibbs offense was okay but it must have ticked Joe off as Gibbs often comented on that . However in a Gibbs offense the RB can get away with doing that because Gibbs liked the MAX Protect and would seldom send backs out on passing routes favoring the HB in that role .

In the WCO that kind of sloppy play is to the detriment of the team . In the quick passing offense how can a tempo be established if the QB makes his three step drop looks left covered looks right covered looks to his dump off guy (Portis) or to where he should be and he is not there he is still in the backfield decleating a LB or DB insted of clipping him and getting out there to be the safety valve .

I think this was why Saunders prefered Betts to Portis becasue although the latter is the better back Betts is the more disciplined .

I really like Portis and I am glad he is a Redskin and I know every time he goes on to the field he gives 100% but it is starting to look a lot like an offensive version of LaVar Arrington in terms of free lancing and not playing to the scheme .
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
irish
Playmaker

I agree, Gibbs let Portis do what he wanted, Zorn doesnt and Portis doesnt like that. Zorn said Portis was confused about his role on some pass plays and I'm sure the lack of practice had something to do with that. If memory serves, I think even the announcers made some reference to that.

In the end though I do think Zorn kept CP out in the second half to protect him in a game I think Zorn realized that the Skins werent going to win.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...ast-night.html