Zone blocking

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #91
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Zone blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
First off, I apologize for taking your childhood.
Apology accepted, now give me back my Optimus Prime!!

Quote:
So you mean you guys all jumped on the bandwagon in the 80s and because I think Gibbs system have problems but I'm still a die hard fan I'm not allowed on it? How ironic.
That's not what I meant at all. What I meant was for many of us the best years of our lives when it pertains to the Redskins were during the first Gibbs' era. For over a decade, we bitched and moaned that "oh, if only we had Gibbs back" Well now we do and we (and I'm not just talking about you Daseal) are like "WTF Gibbs? I thought you were the shit!" It's like Boswell wrote, "Why bring him back if we're not going to do it his way?"

Personally I feel as though last season, particularly the first half, was a chance for Gibbs to reacclimate himself to coaching in the NFL (things like the shorter playclock, Instant replay, etc) and also to evaluate his personnel. This is one reason why I believe that Brunell started longer than many felt he should because he was basically playing the role of offensive caretaker on the field while Gibbs adapted. See Gibbs had the luxury of doing something that previous coaches didn't because no way would Snyder have fired Gibbs after one season. So Gibbs could sit back and say let me use year one to evaluate my talent and get reacclimated to the league.

Quote:
What he did in his first era was impressive, and that can never be taken from him. However, that doesn’t automatically make him a winner in this era.
It should give him some benefit of the doubt though right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasea
In closing, let my give an abridged version of what I think of Gibbs”
His offense needs work, Schemes especially, playcalling needs to be less predictable, May need a offensive coordinator is he doesn’t get the offense going this year or at least by next, will bring the skins to a winning season and probably the playoffs before leaving, Is the best motivator out there. I feel that his legacy from the 80’s and his current state should be viewed as separate. Not completely separate, but this isn’t just a continuation. It’s not like after a super bowl he had a losing season. He took over a decade off, and that takes adjustment. His offense has problems now, but he will win eventually.
Didn't he bring in Bill Musgrave to be the offensive coordinator? Or is he just QB coach? I'm not sure the playcalling needs to be less predictable. I don't know the particular stats but I do recall several times last year that the team marched downfield but then got stopped by mental mistakes, such as penalties. I know that Wilbon said that defenses knew what was coming, but so what. You knew Stockton and Malone would run the pick and roll for the Jazz, couldn't stop them. You knew the Redskins would run Heavy Jumbo near the goal line back in the day, couldn't stop it. I think more often than not, teams have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the opposing offense.

Advertisements
Old 05-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #92
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I do remember that TAFKAS. As much as I liked Ray Brown, he had a LOT of mental mistakes in the red zone. Again I think it goes back to how we basically gave up a lot of KEY bad plays or stupid mistakes. That's what has been separating us from being a good team. Hopefully another year in the system, AND with our starting line back, we can cut down on some of those mistakes.

I remember at least 5 times in particular that Brown was called in the red zone for being offsides and only a COUPLE of those resulted in field goals, the other ones ended up having ANOTHER penalty dropping us out of FG range.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #93
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Speaking of Optimus Prime... check this out:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2440763
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #94
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21
By the way, who would have thought a thread named "Zone blocking" would garner more than 75 posts? LOL
And nothing on the last 6 pages has anything to do with 'zone blocking'!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #95
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Or we can have him use Chad Morton to block Mike Strahan and then he can go coach some college boys down in South Carolina

It's amazing the lack of respect you show to Gibbs. But of course, he hasn't earned it in your mind, right?
No, No, No......they will use the great ADE to block Strahan...................