Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Youth Football Participation in Decline

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Youth Football Participation in Decline

Not really a surprise in light of all the attention on head injuries.

Pop Warner youth football participation drops; NFL concussion crisis seen as causal factor - ESPN
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Youth Football Participation in Decline

Yeah this is the beginning of the end IMO of many youth teams and leagues, parents are getting more and more scared to let their young kids play. I remember getting a concussion at 9 years old and my mom never wanted me to play again, of course I still did through HS but still
Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

This probably needs to be moved to off-topic.

But it's kinda sad but understandable. I'd always said when I had kids (crossing my fingers for boys someday) I was going to get them involved in youth football but with so many issues with head injuries and what not, I'd wanna wait until high school to let them weigh the pros and cons and make the decision themselves.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I think if I had a kid I'd probably push them towards baseball or basketball. Feels like what we know about concussions right now is just the tip of the iceberg. Even soccer has concussion issues. Scary stuff.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ I've had a few tough injuries playing sports but that concussion was about as scary as it got. I was knocked out cold and all I remember was going to the hospital after I woke back up. I'll be honest I didn't really love the game as much after, I started playing Basketball much more
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

It is very scary. I've always said that if my wife and I have kids that I'd hope they would play sports in school, but it would break my heart to see them hurt. I don't know if I could take it.

My hope is that the technology they are working on with football helmets will greatly reduce the risk of head injuries. I think if they could push this technology out - even down to youth football leagues, this will ease parents minds.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

To go along with the youth football decline

At Least Six High School Football Players Have Died From Head And Neck Injuries In 2013

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
over the mountain
Playmaker

im just guessin here but i dont think the decline of pop warner football has as much to do with concussions as it seems.

youth baseball has been on the decline as well.

i think it is because of playstations and xboxs and all these other activities kids can do to take up their time. when i was a kid youd find a stick that looked like a gun and run off into the woods with your buddies until mom called dinner.

its just a different youth culture now. i think most parents dont really care what their kids are doing as long as they arent bothering them. its easier to let your kid rot in a dark room with the tv on than to get involved, spend money and drive your kid to practice and games 6 days a week.

as a side note - i read a good article on how church/religious attendance is way down. peope thought it was bc of the church looking intolerant and exclusive but the article argued that it is bc there isnt a social stigma anymore for not attending church. in the 40's 50's 60's and 70s, if a family didnt attend church the town talked. now it doesnt matter, there is no social pressure to join. thats why in the 40s 50s 60s people were called "fake christians". well nowadays people dont have to fake it, they just dont go.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I think there is some truth to that too OTM. It certainly is a factor in high school athletics.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
irish
Playmaker

I wonder if in 50 years football will at the same point horse racing and boxing are today.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

No doubt there are several factors involved in the decline in youth participation, the concussion issue certainly doesn't help and the more we know the more impact it's going to have in the long run.

Not sure bad parenting is to blame though, Pop Warner partipcation only started falling off in the last couple years per the article.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Sorry Matt I was referring to the comment of increased use of technology in the house. That has lead to an outlet that wasn't present when we were kids. It may be more prevelant in declines in participation in sports as a whole. But the article does say it is a recent trend (since 2011) suggesting a current event.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
GusFrerotte

Also, with school budget cuts you might see lack of participation in Jr High or HS football. Some districts are pay to play.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
im just guessin here but i dont think the decline of pop warner football has as much to do with concussions as it seems.

youth baseball has been on the decline as well.

i think it is because of playstations and xboxs and all these other activities kids can do to take up their time. when i was a kid youd find a stick that looked like a gun and run off into the woods with your buddies until mom called dinner.

its just a different youth culture now. i think most parents dont really care what their kids are doing as long as they arent bothering them. its easier to let your kid rot in a dark room with the tv on than to get involved, spend money and drive your kid to practice and games 6 days a week.

as a side note - i read a good article on how church/religious attendance is way down. peope thought it was bc of the church looking intolerant and exclusive but the article argued that it is bc there isnt a social stigma anymore for not attending church. in the 40's 50's 60's and 70s, if a family didnt attend church the town talked. now it doesnt matter, there is no social pressure to join. thats why in the 40s 50s 60s people were called "fake christians". well nowadays people dont have to fake it, they just dont go.
I agree for the most part, but my nephews play COD, but are heavy into sports still. They tend to play soccer and basketball. I can see football being phased out in another 2-3 generations to be honest. Once the education bubble pops in terms of higher ed, the money is going to run dry for the NCAA, as no kids will be able to afford college.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I wonder if in 50 years football will at the same point horse racing and boxing are today.
The video game consoles, the school budget crunch, the injuries and deaths sustained, the higher ed bubble, all are going to be factors in bringing down football. Also, I don't think our leaders want any form of aggression to be taught or instilled in kids at all.