Does Joe Bugel still have it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Re: Does Joe Bugel still have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't think Clinton Portis is scaring any defenses though.
It's pretty hard to scare people when you are getting hit in the backfield within 0.5 seconds of getting the ball. The run blocking is simply atrocious.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
It's pretty hard to scare people when you are getting hit in the backfield within 0.5 seconds of getting the ball. The run blocking is simply atrocious.
It's probably about half the run blocking, and half Portis not hitting the hole has hard as he could in his younger days.

Don't get me wrong, when the OL opens up a hole, Portis still hits it as hard as he ever did. The difference is when the defense comes up with 8 in the box. For the first half of last year, Portis could still get three or four yards with even a small seam. The same exact play is now no gain or a single yard.

Basically, I think the Redskins are a worse power blocking team than they were last year, but for most of the field, the blocking has been pretty standard with other years.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #33
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
It's probably about half the run blocking, and half Portis not hitting the hole has hard as he could in his younger days.

Don't get me wrong, when the OL opens up a hole, Portis still hits it as hard as he ever did. The difference is when the defense comes up with 8 in the box. For the first half of last year, Portis could still get three or four yards with even a small seam. The same exact play is now no gain or a single yard.

Basically, I think the Redskins are a worse power blocking team than they were last year, but for most of the field, the blocking has been pretty standard with other years.
Hey GTripp, not sure if you saw my apology last night, I hope you did. Your evals are great. I was making a failed attempt at being funny in regards to someone last week saying they would wait for your analysis before they decided to freak out. So again sorry if I ruffled feathers I did not mean to.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #34
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I used to think Buges was the man who could make a diamond out of a blue colar player like Samuels. Lately I have seen less and less of his abilities to coach up players. Maybe it's cause the team picks up garbage and asks him to mold it into something special but it hasn't worked in the last couple of yrs. I'm beggining to wonder how much he is being asked to change his blocking scheme's. The WCO is different. I also wonder how much zone blocking they are doing. Buges believe highly in man to man blocking and if they are asking him to change his scheme then I wonder how much he really understands zone blocking in order to devise a decent scheme.

I may be way off. It just seems like other teams have figured out what his players are doing and are beating it at the line of scrimage.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #35
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
One question... do you sleep?
You caught me sleeping actually...if you noticed from 9AM-1PM my posting frequency trails off. That's when I crawl back into my coffin : )
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
redskinfan401
Camp Scrub

I don't really see Buges as the problem. Heyer's is not a very good RT, but he's playing way over his head for an UDFA. I have no idea with Rinehart. My rose colored glasses told me that he needed game experience and more time, but they got shattered yesterday. On the right side, we have an undrafted free agent trying to compensate for poor play from a sophomore first-time starter. That's a recipe for disaster no matter who the coach is.
redskinfan401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #37
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I still wonder about our transition from Gibbs II to a WC offense, as far as the run game goes. When Zorn came in, we kept our run scheme, or some element of it. Where are we now? One question is, is Buges being asked to coach a run-block system he does not know well? Another is, are we still some kind of hybrid, one that is the worst of both worlds? Do we tip our run plays off because we can't or don't run the straight Holmgren WC block schemes? Or do we have decent personnel for Gibbs run scheme but not for Zorn's?

In many ways, Buges has spoiled us by making so many silk purses out of sows' ears. But there are limits. I would have liked to see a new O-line coach come in with Zorn, given the system switch. At this point, we're going most likely stick it out and then clean house from top-to-bottom staff-wise after the season, barring the remarkable turnaround I expect any time now .
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #38
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Bugel still has it, what he doesn't have is the horses to run with.
Your right. Who ever started this thread is barking up the wrong tree. He has been the only constant on this team. He was here last year right after a family member died. Like a day or two later. So I think the appropriate thing to do is back off. He has paid his dues and he is not the issue. He kept this raggedy line together with the little he had the past few years. Blame the right people. He is old but still one of the best O-line coaches out there. That's why we have him because we have no talent on our O-line. Get a clue.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #39
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
I still wonder about our transition from Gibbs II to a WC offense, as far as the run game goes. When Zorn came in, we kept our run scheme, or some element of it. Where are we now? One question is, is Buges being asked to coach a run-block system he does not know well? Another is, are we still some kind of hybrid, one that is the worst of both worlds? Do we tip our run plays off because we can't or don't run the straight Holmgren WC block schemes? Or do we have decent personnel for Gibbs run scheme but not for Zorn's?

In many ways, Buges has spoiled us by making so many silk purses out of sows' ears. But there are limits. I would have liked to see a new O-line coach come in with Zorn, given the system switch. At this point, we're going most likely stick it out and then clean house from top-to-bottom staff-wise after the season, barring the remarkable turnaround I expect any time now .
I agree. It might be me but it seems like we are not power running. Trying to do everything with speed and Portis is still a good back but not as fast. Perfect example. We used to run the ball up the gut on the goal line. Now we go left with sweep and other bs. If is a speed play or play where someone has to get to the outside. Why was Alridge not used on the plays were we need speed and use Portis for the power running game. Seems like we are trying to be something our personnel is not made to be.

Why not give the ball to Seller up the gut and tell him to hold on to the ball and knock someone back instead of trying to go over them or around them?
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 AM   #40
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I agree. It might be me but it seems like we are not power running. Trying to do everything with speed and Portis is still a good back but not as fast. Perfect example. We used to run the ball up the gut on the goal line. Now we go left with sweep and other bs. If is a speed play or play where someone has to get to the outside. Why was Alridge not used on the plays were we need speed and use Portis for the power running game. Seems like we are trying to be something our personnel is not made to be.

Why not give the ball to Seller up the gut and tell him to hold on to the ball and knock someone back instead of trying to go over them or around them?
We have tried Sellers in short yardage in past attemps and he to has been stopped. He is to slow hitting the hole.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #41
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Your right. Who ever started this thread is barking up the wrong tree. He has been the only constant on this team. He was here last year right after a family member died. Like a day or two later. So I think the appropriate thing to do is back off. He has paid his dues and he is not the issue. He kept this raggedy line together with the little he had the past few years. Blame the right people. He is old but still one of the best O-line coaches out there. That's why we have him because we have no talent on our O-line. Get a clue.
Bugel is like a Legend here in Redskin Nation and people like to give passes to those who have won SB in the past. I'm just pointing out that people want to jump all over Zorn and Blache, why not Bugel who has been here since Gibbs 2nd return. I understand we have not drafted high pick O-Lineman but thats where his creditablity as a great coach should be able to influence the FO regarding the need to upgrade our Line. Everyone on this staff should not be safe if Snyder cleans house.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #42
MTK
\m/

Let's just jump on everyone in the entire organization. I'm not sure the maintenance people at Redskins Park are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #43
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Hey GTripp, not sure if you saw my apology last night, I hope you did. Your evals are great. I was making a failed attempt at being funny in regards to someone last week saying they would wait for your analysis before they decided to freak out. So again sorry if I ruffled feathers I did not mean to.
Nah, it's cool. No one person has ever ruffled my feathers here before. I only freak when people fall victim to pathetic groupthink. Some would call me vulgar, others just find me freaking out to be kind of hilarious.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #44
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

bugels best days are behind him, he's been coaching in the league for 30 + years, and went through a tragedy last year with his daughter passing, he should retire after the season, cause his best days are behind him.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #45
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
We have tried Sellers in short yardage in past attemps and he to has been stopped. He is to slow hitting the hole.
Not to mention the fact that on more than a few occasions he's tried to jump through the hole at the expense of his power/momentum/balance/etc. Unless he's learned better, which may be the case, he doesn't put his head down to get those extra inches like you'd think he would.