Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

No Huddle?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

No Huddle?

I saw this on the team's website. Why not? It seems to me that this team needs to start fast. They appear too slow to me.

What Sayeth The Mob?

Advertisements
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: No Huddle?

They seem to work far, far better out of the no huddle. Like the last 2 minutes of the game should've been happening all game.

JC must be thinking too much in the huddle or something because

1) We obviously don't do as well

2) We're constantly burning time outs because we're standing around in the huddle for like 15 seconds. Way too long. (We still have no idea how to manage the clock)

So. Needless to say, I wish they'd use it a little more. Changes the pace of the game as well as throws the defense off guard.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Fan Mailbag: Is the No-Huddle Offense In the Works?

Campbell looks much more comfortable in that shotgun, no-huddle, no time to think mode. But I'm not sure that's the right answer for the majority of the game
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Longtimefan
Playmaker

The no-huddle offense worked very well last night for Buffalo against NE. It could be effective for us in some stretches of a game, but as a full time option I'm skeptical.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

I don't know about the Skins running a no huddle. Hell, they can't even get a normal play run with a huddle.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I'm a fan, if only because I'm tired of Zorn taking 35 seconds to come up with the perfect version of the same screen play.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

it's a copy cat league, so us copying what the bills are doing wouldn't surprise me. Plus it suits campbell the best IMO. We should run more screens to portis, and not as many screens to moss in the redzone, IMO.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

No huddle, shotgun, -- do something. I believe it's time for Zorn to take a page from the history of Joe Gibbs and start thinking about the players he has, versus the system he really wants.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
I don't know about the Skins running a no huddle. Hell, they can't even get a normal play run with a huddle.

we definetly need a change.its been stagnant for a while now.I wish we would adopt New Englands approach.They use the shotgun whenever they feel like it,not just in long situations,I love that attacking mode
Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

LOL well our Offense can't get any worse so hell lets roll with the no huddle... maybe we can score more than 10pts on offense this wk...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Campbell looks much more comfortable in that shotgun, no-huddle, no time to think mode. But I'm not sure that's the right answer for the majority of the game
Personally, I think they should start off in it or at least bring it out early in the game. Take a series to set the tempo, use the base offense for the majority of the game but, at random moments, switch into no huddle. Campbell performs well in it and it might help to loosen up the defenses.

I like Zorn, I want him to succeed, but this, IMHO, seems to me to be a situation where the coach wants to succeed his way as opposed to using the talent at hand finding a way for it to succeed.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Personally, I think they should start off in it or at least bring it out early in the game. Take a series to set the tempo, use the base offense for the majority of the game but, at random moments, switch into no huddle. Campbell performs well in it and it might help to loosen up the defenses.

I like Zorn, I want him to succeed, but this, IMHO, seems to me to be a situation where the coach wants to succeed his way as opposed to using the talent at hand finding a way for it to succeed.
Definitely agree with you're saying about Zorn. As for Campbell, sometimes he reminds me of Arthur Rhodes.

Say what??

So back in the early 90's Arthur Rhodes was supposed to be the man for the Orioles. Big, powerful lefty starter. Can't miss. But he was mediocre year after year.

Until they put him in middle relief and he started to shine (relatively speaking). And he was asked "Why are you having success now when you were struggling as a starter"

And his answer, which I suppose was expected because I think the O's had run some psych tests on him and determined he was better suited for middle relief was (to paraphrase) "When I'm starting, I know that four out of five days I'm sitting on the bench in the dugout, thinking and worrying about my next start. As a middle reliever, there's no time to think. I can be called on at any time and I just have to go out there and pitch."

Sometimes I feel like that's what's going through Campbell's mind. When he has time to sit and go through his projections he has too much time to think. But if he has to act quickly then he's better off.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Same basic question, but about the shotgun. Zorn's lack of use of it is in his own words due to the timing of the run game. I think it is supremely obvious that the shotgun and JC work well together. With that said, if Zorn wants to be a "genius" let him develop a shotgun formation that perfects the west coast run game. It's gotta be do-able, but I would love to see Jason run every play (pass or run) out of the shotgun. He just seems comfortable with it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

When the Redskins can run the ball for 4-5 yards a pop, Zorn's offense works fantastic. Combine a efficient running game and an efficient passing game that has the benefit of play action, and you have a low risk, ball control offense that eats the clock and ends every drive with points.

But we don't really play in an era where it's viable to expect to be able to run the football. For 6 games last season, we ran the ball on everyone we played and were pretty much an unstoppable offense. Portis tore his MCL and while he tried to play through it, the inability to run on great teams just put the passing offense in horrendous situaitions.

Having an offense that tries to establish the run is still viable, but knowing when you just aren't going to be able to run is just as important. Modern defenses can completely take away a running back if they want to, so you have to be able to take the exact same personnel and have a bunch of passing plays that can break down undermanned coverages.

This year, the Redskins are not undermanned on offense, so it's probably time to "open it up" so to speak.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Luxorreb
^21^

Our punter has as many TD's as our entire offense has this season. Why not try it here and there?