Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What to do with our First round pick?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #1
RedskinPete
The Starter

What to do with our First round pick?

The news is the Bills are talking with Cleveland to trade up in the draft to get Ben Roethisberger. The trade would have the Bills move up to the 7 spot and the Browns would get Bills pick[13th] in the first round and 2nd rounder. There is talk the Stellers want Roenthisberger and would trade up to someone like Washington to get him. But they don't want to give up that much to move up. They are offering thier 11th pick in the first round and a 3rd with a 6th round pick! Is this something the Skins would do if it comes up or stay put and pick what ever is out there?
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
raleighskinsfan
Camp Scrub

While I would love to see us stay put at 5 and draft Sean Taylor, it would be nice to move down to #11 and pick up and extra third and sixth. There is still alot of quality left in the third round, and it's not moving that far down from 5 to 11. At 11 I suspect we could still get an excellent D lineman, then we could look for an LB or CB with the 3rd rounder to help add depth and develop young players where we just lost players......
Frankly, I bet we'll end up trading out of the 5 spot and getting a really good deal. I bet it won't happen until draft day, but once the other 4 teams have chosen, there will be someone dying to get our 5th pick and their player of choice. I bet we will end up moving down in the first round and hopefully picking up someones late 2nd or high 3rd in addition to their first....
raleighskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

I totally agree. We've already lost our 2nd and 3rd round picks so I really believe we'll trade our 5 to someone for a later 1st and hopefully 2nd rounder if not a third. We need the additional picks more than the number 5.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Shane
Special Teams

I think we will stay at #5 and draft Kellen Winslow. He is reputedly someone Gibbs is very high on, and it would make our offense have an extra dimension that would be something to see I think.

We do need defensive line help, and I certainly hope we can sign either Bertrand Berry or Grant Wistrom to help us there.

At safety, I hope that we can sign Deon Grant, and perhaps that will happen as soon as today. Sean Taylor would be a great pick at #5 as well, but if we can sign Grant then I think it makes it easier to go with Winslow.

I think Winslow is the choice.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

I do not know what the Skins will do with their pick at #5 but I do know that they have been inquiring about what they can get for it in terms of other picks.

I was told they tried to get New England's two late first round picks for the #5 pick and were told no.

I was told that the Skins have been trying to get a second rund pick this year and a first round pick next year for the #5 pick this year - - but have gotten no takers yet.

I suspect they will trade down unless there are no reasonable offers out there. But trades that only involve draft picks often wait until much closer to draft time and that is still about 6 weeks away.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'd like to see us go Taylor, if he's gone Winslow. I'm not too high on any of the D linemen coming out of the draft. I think with what we've gotten in FA so far our line will be much improved anyhow.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
SkinTastic
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighskinsfan
While I would love to see us stay put at 5 and draft Sean Taylor, it would be nice to move down to #11 and pick up and extra third and sixth. There is still alot of quality left in the third round, and it's not moving that far down from 5 to 11. At 11 I suspect we could still get an excellent D lineman, then we could look for an LB or CB with the 3rd rounder to help add depth and develop young players where we just lost players......
Would Udeze still be around at #11, as he would be a promising acquisition for the D line?

I would have to agree with the majority here as well, in that Taylor would be an excellent pick, but with the lack of picks we have left we'll more than likely trade down!
SkinTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #8
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I say trade down. I don't know that we won't be fine with our secondary as is, and more picks could give us some good depth?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I don't understand the fear about udeze being gone quickly in the draft since almost every draft expert expects him to be around in the late 20s. as good as some of these d-lineman being talked about are, none are anywhere near good enough for the #5 pick both money and talent wise. plus can anyone name one d-lineman drafted in the first round in the last 15 years or so that did anything in his first year or 2? the only ones I can think of are warren sapp, derrick thomas(even though he was primarily a linebacker), javon kearse, patrick kerney, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Darrel Russel, and Richard Seymour. thats roughly 10(I can't remember when some of these and a couple others actually started developing) out of 96 DE's(58) and DT's(38) chosen in the first round since 1999 (I got my info from nfl.com's draft page.) I mean just a couple of years ago people were debating heavily who was better coming out of Penn State, Lavar or COurtney Brown. We all know how that's turned out(in our favor thankfully might I add.) I'd rather us trade down and get as many solid 2,3rd, and 4th round picks as possible because it has been proven that more often than not that solid, if not all-pro, talent can be found after round 1 and I trust Gibbs can find that talent.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #10
Defensewins
Playmaker

Trade down only if we can get a first round pick in the 7-10 area and a second rounder in this years draft in exchange for our #5. This is a very top heavy draft because of:
1) QB Eli Manning
2) WR Larry Fitzgerald
3) WR Mike Williams
4) QB Ben Roethlisberger
5) T Robert Gallery
6) S Sean Taylor
7) TE Kellen Winslow

These seven players are can't miss elite high 1st round talent. There might be some team like the Steelers (hot for QB Roethlisberger) or Houston (hot for Sean Taylor) that might at the last second (before the draft) offer a nice bounty of draft picks.
Skins should wait for the best offer and not jump at the first good thing. The longer they wait, the better the offers will get. I think the value for S Sean Taylor will increase as the draft approaches. There will be many big trade offers for the skins #5 pick.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #11
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I say we stick with offense on the draft since we have signed allmost all of defensive needs. Try to trade down to top 15 to get more picks if possible. If not stay at 5 and draft Winslow.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

I don't think I agree with that. We still have holes in our Dline and our safeties could be better. IMHO I think the offense is pretty much set right now. If anything on O trade down and get Ben Troupe, a better blocking TE just right for Gibbs' system. I think D should be our main focus going into the draft.
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #13
raleighskinsfan
Camp Scrub

I think skinsfanthru&thru makes an excellent point. You shouldn't take defensive lineman in the top 10 and the people bwe want will be available in the 20's, so I would like to see us trade down to the 10-15 range to add picks, then drop further and pick up more depending on how the draft falls. We worked this to perfection last year with Ramsey. That's why I also agree wholeheartedly that we hang onto that pick until draft day. Field offers right now to gauge the market, then wait for the phones to ring off the hooks once we are on the clock with our 15 minutes and the #5 spot. Is there any doubt whatsoever that someone will trade with us? Someone has to be sitting at the 10-20 spot coveting one of the top 7 elite players defensewins suggested, and they will be willing to give us their pick and at least their 3rd rounder this year. So my question is, is Udeze our man, or Tommie Harris? I don't watch enough college football to claim to be an expert on this front, but looking at the press on the two makes me lean towards Udeze b/c you can't deny 16.5 sacks is good no matter where or for who you play.....? We've signed both a D tackle and D End, but don't we still need a pass rushing force? P Daniels is more of a run stuffer than pass rusher, is he not?
raleighskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #14
ChounsMan
Special Teams

I think they will draft Kellen Winslow Jr. if he's available. The Skins so far have bought themselves a pretty damn good 'D'.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #15
Cush
Impact Rookie

Winslow Jr or Taylor. And I'll add Udeze as a longshot.

Thought it was funny how Portis mentioned Taylor in his Press Conference. Dropping hints?
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote