Overall draft grade

vote and discuss, or discuss and vote, whichever way you want
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Overall draft grade

I'm going with B (really a B-) because I think we addressed a need at CB with someone I believe was the best CB available in the draft. When I was watching the draft Saturday, the beer in me and the complete surprise signing of Campbell would have lead me to give something more like a F------------, but after more rational thinking and reading some opinions here, I have completely made peace with that signing (except for the price of next year's pick).

Yes, there were other players available in the first round that would have also been nice pick-ups, but I think some smart moves were made in the early rounds and late rounds to give us a good basis for next year. There were a couple players we passed on that dropped the Skins down a grade for me to the B-.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I voted B as well. I like Carlos Rogers at #9 even though I would've preferred Mike Williams. And this whole Jason Campbell thing is really weird. But all in all we addressed most of our needs. I like the fullback from UCLA, and we got some depth for the LB position.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Ask me again in 5 years.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I voted C. I love the Carlos Rogers pick; even though I would have rather had Williams, I think Rogers is going to be a very good player for us. I dont like the Campbell pick; I think we gave up too much for such a question mark. I like grabbing the ILB from Lousiville (his name escapes me at the moment). Overall I thought it was an OK type draft, so a C from me.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
jbcjr14
The Starter

I am going with B here. I think they did well with the Rogers pick at #9. Not so sure on the Campbell pick however he might have been the most talented at the time and Gibbs did reference you cannot pass up a QB anytime one is on the table with the talent potential Campbell has.

Good late round picks with LB and two FB. Overall a B- here, but only time will tell on this one.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
I voted C. I love the Carlos Rogers pick; even though I would have rather had Williams, I think Rogers is going to be a very good player for us. I dont like the Campbell pick; I think we gave up too much for such a question mark. I like grabbing the ILB from Lousiville (his name escapes me at the moment). Overall I thought it was an OK type draft, so a C from me.
McCune I think is his name. Per Gibbs, this guy is supposed to be a good player.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat
Ask me again in 5 years.

Probably the best answer.......
Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Red Robert
Special Teams

Redskin rat is right. Grading the draft now is a bit futile but fun anyway. I vote a solid C. Rodgers is nice, still would have prefered Williams. I think the only other bright spot may be LB out of Louisville who could start this year.
I have faith we will be right on Jason Campbell in the end, but hard to swallow that move today.

One good thing is you know now that Gibbs will be here for at least another 3 years. Jason Campbell will be his project and likely define his legacy for the second coming.
Red Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I'll say this, nothing COMPLETELY upset me this draft.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
ArringtonRules
Special Teams

Well I for one am very upset with Campbell selection. I am very surprised that a lot of people on this site don't think so. For some years I have seen my beloved 'skins give away draft picks like they were a plague. Now the last time I checked on all the teams that did well or went to playoffs they all have had a lot of draft picks.
I AM VERY ANGRY WITH THIS PICK!! Giving away 3 picks for a QB a lot of people said would be drafted 2nd round or lower. He was not even rated high coming out of college. And why pray do we need to draft a QB when we have Ramsey. Looks like Gibbs had not learnt his lesson from the Mark Brunell trade fiasco. Now we have given up i think 4 picks for 2 QBs who will not see any significant playing time.
STOP SMOKING THT WEED REDSKINS FO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
I'll say this, nothing COMPLETELY upset me this draft.
ArringtonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I have a problem with how much we gave up for this pick, BUT say Ramsey goes down, you want Brunell in there as backup?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
celts32
Playmaker

I went "C"

I give an "A" for Rogers since it filled a need and he was a good value at the spot. I preferred Mike Williams at this pick but I won't fault them for passing on him to fill another big need.

As for Campbell, I give this pick an "F". A 6-10 team with Santana Moss & David Patten as it's starting WR's does not have the luxery of taking a QB for 3 years down the road. The better pick would have been WR Roddie White or one of the D-lineman left.

An A & F average into a C as a final grade...
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

I'm going with an optimistic B.

I really, really like Carlos Rogers. I think he will prove to be a better fit here than Smoot because of his hitting abilities. With Springs and Rogers we'll have two physical corners who can come on blitzes and disrupt things in the backfield.

I'm also liking the FB selections, both guys sound versatile and White sounds like he could see time at RB and H-back as well. Both should help improve our short-yardage and goal line schemes. We finally have that 250 pound hammer that can fill the Gerald Riggs role down in the redzone.

The LB selections look nice as well, although they are raw and will need time to develop, they seem like heady guys who will fit right into Williams' system.

As for the controversial Campbell pick, the more I think about it the more at peace I am with it. Brunell is most likely out of here next year, and we all know Gibbs loves to have two capable QBs on the roster. Sorry but Hasselbeck is not a guy I'd feel confident in leading a playoff push, and obviously Gibbs isn't either.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Sorry Patrick, but Gibbs never wanted you as his starter. Brunell was supposed to drop you down to #2, & now Campbell will in '06.

The rest of the draft looks good to me