Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jack Del Rio Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #31
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Jack Del Rio Thread

Will you folks please stop advocating for cutting Ryan Kerrigan. He is still an above average player IMHO. Also, depth has been an ongoing problem for this team. We now have an opportunity to have outstanding depth on the DL and the ability to keep our D-Linemen fresh. And, yes, he can certainly play DE in a 4-3 on passing downs.

Ryan has already said he wants to be in D.C. and would work something out with the Skins in order to stay.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #32
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Yeah I really don’t get the multiple people calling for him to get cut. Don’t we want as many good edge rushers as possible?!
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #33
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Manusky’s schemes were complex for the players, but the on-field result was little blitzing or stunting. There was little pressure on the QB and the results were predictably dismal. The Redskins were 27th in defense in 2019.

Jack Del Rio will take Manusky’s dumpster fire and turn this defense around. He’s taken several team’s defenses from near the bottom to very close to the top! We have some talented personnel that just need to be coached, motivated and instructed to reach their potential. I bet a guy like Sweat will double his sacks next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't like Manusky's defenses either, but the sack rate ranked 4th in 2019.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl/2019

That's not no pressure on the QB.

I think it's more accurate to say the pressure was inconsistent, especially against good qbs who could beat a blitz.

I can't find the numbers right off, those with a pff sub probably could, but I believe we blitzed alot. I also believe those blitz's weren't good against good QBs.

I also don't believe the blitzes were coached well and timed well. Good teams picked them up.

I also agree Del Rio is going to be a huge improvement. The two just have very different styles.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 01-01-2020 at 07:15 AM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #34
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Yeah I really don’t get the multiple people calling for him to get cut. Don’t we want as many good edge rushers as possible?!
Yes, we do! To be clear, I meant that we should draft Chase Young and keep Ryan Kerrigan.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #35
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Yes, we do! To be clear, I meant that we should draft Chase Young and keep Ryan Kerrigan.
I can see the perspective where he has some(?) trade value, a large salary next year (>$10M), would presumably want a new contract for 4 more years, is getting older and if you are going to draft Chase Young then we have waaaay too many resources invested in the front 4, 5 first rounders + Matt I. We desperately need a free safety worthy of the position, a new corner on the assumption that Norman is cut, and that doesn't even consider what we need on offence.... A pass rush is good, but you have to be able to score points too
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #36
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I can see the perspective where he has some(?) trade value, a large salary next year (>$10M), would presumably want a new contract for 4 more years, is getting older and if you are going to draft Chase Young then we have waaaay too many resources invested in the front 4, 5 first rounders + Matt I. We desperately need a free safety worthy of the position, a new corner on the assumption that Norman is cut, and that doesn't even consider what we need on offence.... A pass rush is good, but you have to be able to score points too
One thing I wrote was incorrect. Although Ryan said repeatedly that he wants to stay in D.C., he did no say he would try to work something out contractually with the Redskins.

I think you're right about too many $$ invested in the DL if we draft Chase Young. Even if we don't draft Young, Kerrigan's $11.5M salary may be too big a hit to take for the Skins. I'd like to see RK stay but I believe he will need to agree to a restructuring of his contract to do so. If the Skins can get a mid-round pick for him in a trade, then he may be traded anyway.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #37
DYoungJelly
The Starter

If there isn't a huge market for Kerrigan, and I really don't know if there is (although I guess not), then he could be a poor man's Dwight Freeny.

In other words, he could play much fewer, high quality snaps at a bargain price.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #38
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
If there isn't a huge market for Kerrigan, and I really don't know if there is (although I guess not), then he could be a poor man's Dwight Freeny.

In other words, he could play much fewer, high quality snaps at a bargain price.

That would be fine, but what are the chances
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #39
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
That would be fine, but what are the chances
Better than you might think because his current contract is not guaranteed.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #40
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Love the hire! Del Rio spits fire and is a great d-coordinator. Already love Rivera lol!
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #41
Defensewins
Playmaker

I hate the cap.
I really like Ryan Kerrigan and I would like him on the team. My problem is he is making a ton of money and at 31, wear and tear is starting to creep in and effect his production. By comparison Chase Young from Hyattsville, Md. is 20 years old, turning 21 in 2020.
If Kerrigan agreed to a restructured deal that is more incentive driven to pay him big if he achieves on the field, but protects the cap if he does not, by all means stay. Same with Norman. Norman is not “great” anymore but if he took a pay cut I would like him to stay as a backup, maybe as slot CB? Quality depth is important, but at the right price.
Trent Williams needs to show he is healthy. His knee is worrisome.
Paul Richardson and Jordan Reed need to go!
Jack Del Rio is a great hire.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #42
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

I like this hire. Del Rio can run the D and Ron can run the team. AT Carolina, Ron was focused on calling the D. This allows him to run the team. He needs to focus on all areas of the team.

Now we need to nail down the OC position.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #43
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I didn't like Manusky's defenses either, but the sack rate ranked 4th in 2019.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl/2019

That's not no pressure on the QB.

I think it's more accurate to say the pressure was inconsistent, especially against good qbs who could beat a blitz.

I can't find the numbers right off, those with a pff sub probably could, but I believe we blitzed alot. I also believe those blitz's weren't good against good QBs.

I also don't believe the blitzes were coached well and timed well. Good teams picked them up.

I also agree Del Rio is going to be a huge improvement. The two just have very different styles.

The Redskins had a great sack number but ultimately it meant NOTHING because the defense was rated 27th in the NFL. An example is Giant’s QB Jones who toasted us for FIVE TD passes - this is a rookie QB who struggled mightily against many other teams. The sack number tells me that we have the raw talent on our DL, if used properly.

By going to a 4-3 we’ll properly use our DL talent, so that the EDGE rushers aren’t falling back into coverage instead of pressuring the QB.

Blitzing or stunting just makes the QB’s analysis of the defense (right before the snap) that much more difficult. I don’t have any numbers to back up my assertion that the Redskins did not often blitz or stunt. If we draft Chase Young we won’t need to blitz very often, but by stunting a lot, the QB won’t be able to assume it’s just a normal 4 man rush.

I believe we will see an immediate and substantial improvement in the defense under Del Rio / Rivera. Both coaches have taken bad defenses and made them elite quickly. I think our defense will take 2 years to get there. Getting Chase Young and some good FA in the backfield will have an immediate effect, but Manusky dug us a big hole to get out of.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

Pressure wasn’t our problem this year getting off the field on 3rd downs was

Old 01-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #45
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Pressure wasn’t our problem this year getting off the field on 3rd downs was

Yes. I think we were last in the NFL in 3rd down defense.
Added stat: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...conversion-pct
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote