Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Brunell ...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
A quarterback controversey is bad, whenever Ramsey got the time last year, he ate the other teams alive. There's no such thing as an open competition. I'm sure Gibbs already has a favorite and the veteran will always get the nod.

Daseal,
Ramsey ate the other teams alive? Are you talking about Patrick Ramsey? He played well in the first two games (against a terrible Jets team and a terrible FAlcons team). After that, P. Ramsey did not eat anyone alive.
I like Ramsey as much as you do, but you need to stick to the facts, Ramsey plays like a typical 2-3 year QB, not very consistent. Good some games-bad some games. All Gibbs wants is some insurance, in case Ramsey continues to be up and down.
A QB controversey is not bad. It just means you have two good QB's that the fans and press fight over. Depth is a must in the NFL, especially at QB.
Only a hand full of QB make through an entire season without getting hurt.
Gibbs knows how to handle a strong stable of QB's, he done it many times in the past....you might be too young to remember.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

Another thing to consider, if Gibbs was here from the beginning Ramsey wouldn't have had a sniff of playing time at this point. Ramsey could really benefit from a season on the bench, whether he wants to admit it or not.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #18
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Brunell's Contract

Does anyone know the specific terms of Brunell's deal?

My best estimate would be:

2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Salary $760 $1,500 $3,500 $5,500 $7,000 $8,000 $8,000
Bonus $1,433 $1,433 $1,433 $1,433 $1,433 $1,433 $0

Cap Hit $2,193 $2,933 $4,933 $6,933 $8,433 $9,433 $8,000

Anyone have the details?
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #19
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Question

fellows,we can argue this until i'm sane again and that is a long time.all i know is that i am sick of losing,gibbs is a WINNER.the skins will more than likely be in the playoffs next year,and i for one do'nt care how they get there.
if its ramsey,brunnell,hassleback,I DO'NT CARE AS LONG AS THEY WIN........
is'nt that what we all want???
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #20
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Defensewins, how about re-reading my post. When he had ample time he was dead on with his rocket launcher.
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
2003 skins 11 11 337 179 53.1 2166 6.43 64 14 9 30/206 34 3 75.8

These are far from awful stats from a QB that was constantly injured and barraged by opposing team members. This kid is tough, smart and has one hell of an arm.

Here's the difference between Young and Montanna and Brunell and Ramsey. It's obvious Brunell's career is almost over and wants to make one last hurrah. Not to mention, this was Ramsey's team and you're snatching that away from him. I don't care if you guys consider Gibbs a football genius, this is a bad move. No bones about it. Open Competition? Doubt it! Brunell will get the nod simply because of experience. Experience is hard to come by on the bench. I firmly believe unless Ramsey gets some playtime this year he's gone, and I would hate to see that. This kid is our future and given his all for this team. There's a reason a rookie played over Brunell last year.

I agree with Sports, this is a blow financially and mentally to Ramsey. I'm sorry to see it happen (not to mention Millions of cap space taken up by a luxury. Welcome to the new NFL, Gibbs. Learn the salary cap system! By the way, when you guys complain we have a gaping hole at position X. Remember that Brunell is using the money we were gonna fill that hole with.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #21
drew54
The Starter

Gibbs will allow a fair competition and the best man for the team will start.

After all Ramsey can sit the bench and threaten to hold out but there is NO WAY the Skins will trade him. Not unless its MEGA HUGE. Danny will tell him to rot away if he wants to hold out. And I agree with him.

I hate the Brunell signing for big money, and it tells me that he didnt want an incentive contract. But big money doesnt mean starter. Look at Kurt Warner. He lost his job and they aren't trading him just yet. It is very unpractical, but it happens. We will see what happens soon enought.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #22
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Defensewins, how about re-reading my post. When he had ample time he was dead on with his rocket launcher.
gonna fill that hole with.
When he had time to throw? What QB in this league has the luxury of time to sit back and pick apart a secondary...none. I saw all of Ramsey's games, Ihave a few of them on video....your only as good as good as the teams you play. Ramsey only looked good against teams with really bad defenses, Jets and Atlanta. In those games the Redskins barely won. Your stats say it all Ramsey only completed 53% of his passes! That is not the sign of a Hall of fame, Probowl QB, the next Bret Farve. LOL
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 AM   #23
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

And Brunell completed 60% of his passes most years, not a huge upgrade! Plus, Ramsey is young. Give him a chance to shine.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #24
Mexskins
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
When he had time to throw? What QB in this league has the luxury of time to sit back and pick apart a secondary...none. I saw all of Ramsey's games, Ihave a few of them on video....your only as good as good as the teams you play. Ramsey only looked good against teams with really bad defenses, Jets and Atlanta. In those games the Redskins barely won. Your stats say it all Ramsey only completed 53% of his passes! That is not the sign of a Hall of fame, Probowl QB, the next Bret Farve. LOL
I think he looked fine on the Eagles game at Phily.

Too bad he did not throw a good pass for the Two Point Conversion.

Again, I think he will shine under a proven NFL system.

Hail from Mexico
Mexskins is offline   Reply With Quote