Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Samuel's Article

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
offiss

Samuel's Article

It seem's Helton was not only incapable of teaching blocking schemes, but changed Samuel's technique as well, I guess Samuel's had a real problem changing the way he was comfortable blocking, and could explain the sudden drop off in his play, apparently Bugel is allowing him to be more himself, as well Samuel's never gripped about the change in his technique even though it hindered him, it might be a good thing that we didn't trade him, it sound's like he is poised to have a big year, it also may show why coaching is the most immportant part of the game, even above talent.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

There's not any other way to explain Samuels' dropoff in play. Helton's schemes and Spurrier's playcalling completely destroyed one of the best left tackles in the game.

I suspect we'll see Samuels return to form with Gibbs and Bugel.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

here's the link

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1045855935462

With Kearse now in the division, we really need Samuels to regain his Pro Bowl form. Let's hope Bugel can help him get back on track.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I kinda feel if Samuels didn't think he was blocking up to par he should pull his coach aside, and tell him he doesn't feel comfortable. I don't think it's a huge deal if you don't try to make a huge deal of it in front of everyone. Give it a chance, but when it's obviously not working, then try to correct it.

That's just me!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Bergman14
Special Teams

i think injuries have had the most to do with his dropoff in play, not coaches
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman14
i think injuries have had the most to do with his dropoff in play, not coaches
It's probably a combination of both
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
offiss

We will prob. know for sure when the season start's, the one thing I would say about the possibility of coaching being the prob., is a football player is capable of going into a slump, especially when he has been changed from a technique that he used his whole career, much like a hitter in baseball, a simple flaw in the mechanic's can unravel your entire swing, I hope it is nothing more than a mechanical adjustment, at least Samuel's feel's much more confidant in bugel, that has to be a plus regardless.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

And he's got soemthing to prove. He had some early success, and now he's gotta re-establish himself. I think he's going to shine this year. ANd Buges is the perfect coach to help him get back to form.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Bugel is the perfect coach for anyone, hell, he could turn me into a hog!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #10
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
It's true. The amazing thing is, the two rookie O-linemen-- Wilson and Molinaro, taken in the 5th and 6th rounds, respectively-- would ordinarily be very ordinary linemen. Bugel can turn both of these guys into great Hogs. Bugel's coaching methods and philosophy are a huge part of that, but you also have to give them credit for scouting these guys out and recognizing them as potential Hogs when other teams overlooked them.

Although I'd like to see Samuels, Thomas and Dockery out there getting some reps together, I think it's great that these young guys and backups are getting a ton of work in the minicamps-- it can only strengthen the depth, and accelerate those players' development and understanding of the offense.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
That'd be the day!
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #12
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I rembember Samuels after getting drafted the big thing with him was not allowing a sack in so many games. Lets hope that he can get that string back. I think anyone on this board could of thought of better blocking schemes than last year.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
cpayne5
Playmaker

I think Samuels' string of sackless games was when he was in college. It's much easier to do when you're in college than when you're in the NFL and lining up against people like Jevon Kearse and Simeon Rice.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #14
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrisp
It's true. The amazing thing is, the two rookie O-linemen-- Wilson and Molinaro, taken in the 5th and 6th rounds, respectively-- would ordinarily be very ordinary linemen. Bugel can turn both of these guys into great Hogs. Bugel's coaching methods and philosophy are a huge part of that, but you also have to give them credit for scouting these guys out and recognizing them as potential Hogs when other teams overlooked them.

Although I'd like to see Samuels, Thomas and Dockery out there getting some reps together, I think it's great that these young guys and backups are getting a ton of work in the minicamps-- it can only strengthen the depth, and accelerate those players' development and understanding of the offense.
I think the coaching staff has a pretty good grip on what the starter's can do, the big question from them is who can step in if one of them get's hurt, and how fast can they teach these guy's what it is to play in the NFL, so if they need to step up if someone goes down, they can have a little comfort level knowing that player is at least prepared, it seem's Gibb's plan's for the worst case scenerio, and hope's for the best, this way he is prepared for anything.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

I feel confident that Samuels will rebound this year.

A larger issue is his cap number for the next three years, which will eat up a huge chunk of our cap room.

I know premiere LTs make a lot of money, but his cap number of around 9 million is just ludicrous.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote