Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Was Campbell really ready?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #31
saden1
MVP

Re: Was Campbell really ready?

If Campbell can't win games consistently he most certainly isn't ready. He better get his shit together otherwise the fate of a career backup awaits him.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #32
railcon56
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Collins is playing well obviously, but he might be getting a bit too much credit for the team's success. Look at all of the deep throws to Moss, they weren't great passes as much as great catches by Moss. And as someone mentioned earlier, the O line has been giving him time. I think the latter is actually simply due to them keeping the backs in to block. They left JC alone back there a lot.
I agree 100%
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #33
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

only fault that i see with collins is he does stare down the reciever on slant routes..if i was a defender i'd be all over that
Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #34
Monksdown
The Starter

If you were a defender, we'd score more touchdowns. jk
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #35
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeofmoval View Post
only fault that i see with collins is he does stare down the reciever on slant routes..if i was a defender i'd be all over that
Slants, I don't have problem with cause it's really to fast of a play for any defender to do anything. It's on long passes where it becomes an issue and it hasn't been an issue so far. I will give him credit though, he really stared down Moss last week against the Giants to clear the safety and then threw a bomb to a wide open Cooley.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #36
warriorzpath

Difficult question to answer. I don't think it is a definite yes or no answer. Yes, it was time for him to start. But also Collins has been better for the team the past few games. Would Collins have also done as well as Campbell in the beginning of season? My answer would be - no. See it's complex all the way around.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #37
warriorzpath

There's just a few things that Jason Campbell needs to work on:
(1) Quick release - as Matty and some others have alluded to. Someone needs to work with him to shorten his motion on the short to intermediate passes. I don't know if any qb has been able to change his throwing motion, but it may be necessary.
(2) Situational plays - 3rd and 5 at the goalline with 10 secs left, down by 4 with no timeouts left. What are your options and what do you do with 1 second to make the decision? Again someone needs to work with him on this in practice. Just like flash cards in elementary school.
(3) Buy into Saunders's scheme and playcalling - this is just an observational opinion, based on how he plays in the no-huddle and how he plays with Saunders(gibbs occassionally) calling the plays. To have the whole team playing at its best, Campbell needs to buy into Saunders's scheme. Note that I said whole team - because the offense needs to lead this team and the qb always leads the offense. Gone are the days that defense wins championships - which in itself is a whole discussion. But anyways, Campbell must buy into, better yet, invest his whole life savings into what Saunders is pitching to him.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #38
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Yes. He's looked very promising, if inconsistent, in his first 20 or so starts. His inconsistency is to be expected. It was time to give him real game experience.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
There's just a few things that Jason Campbell needs to work on:
(1) Quick release - as Matty and some others have alluded to. Someone needs to work with him to shorten his motion on the short to intermediate passes. I don't know if any qb has been able to change his throwing motion, but it may be necessary.
(2) Situational plays - 3rd and 5 at the goalline with 10 secs left, down by 4 with no timeouts left. What are your options and what do you do with 1 second to make the decision? Again someone needs to work with him on this in practice. Just like flash cards in elementary school.
(3) Buy into Saunders's scheme and playcalling - this is just an observational opinion, based on how he plays in the no-huddle and how he plays with Saunders(gibbs occassionally) calling the plays. To have the whole team playing at its best, Campbell needs to buy into Saunders's scheme. Note that I said whole team - because the offense needs to lead this team and the qb always leads the offense. Gone are the days that defense wins championships - which in itself is a whole discussion. But anyways, Campbell must buy into, better yet, invest his whole life savings into what Saunders is pitching to him.
I don't think his motion is the issue. The issue is his overall inexperience as a NFL QB and his inexperience in this offense. As he gets more reps his decision making ability should improve and that's the real key for him.

Collins doesn't have a Marino-like release, he just makes quick decisions.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #40
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think his motion is the issue. The issue is his overall inexperience as a NFL QB and his inexperience in this offense. As he gets more reps his decision making ability should improve and that's the real key for him.

Collins doesn't have a Marino-like release, he just makes quick decisions.

I hope you're right and would be corrected by reps. But from what I see - Campbell seems to have a unique throwing motion that takes more time to wind up to release the ball. Even in short to medium passes.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

Last year he definitely had a serious hitch in his motion. This year I just don't see his throwing motion as being a huge issue. I've seen much, much worse.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #42
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Slants, I don't have problem with cause it's really to fast of a play for any defender to do anything. It's on long passes where it becomes an issue and it hasn't been an issue so far. I will give him credit though, he really stared down Moss last week against the Giants to clear the safety and then threw a bomb to a wide open Cooley.

yeah looking off your reciever is a great talent not all qbs have.but honestly any corner or safety in coverage could cheat or commit if the qb is staring down before the slant.the risk is a great 1 if you're off or late but it may be a gamebreaker for you.