Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ramsey to stay in DC

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Ramsey to stay in DC

Gibbs: Ramsey Has 'Terrific Future'
Redskins Coach Explains Quarterback Arrangement With Brunell Aboard.

Coach reafirmed that Ramsey would not be dealt this year. So basically what can we expect to see come mini camp & training camp, a QB controversy..?

I say that it's going to be a distraction from Ramseys' camp.

Brunell comes in with nothing to loss & everything to gain. Plus a nice contract as incentive to win the starting job.

I know this is Ramsey's team, but Brunell is a great talent with proven leadership & experience in the league.

Could this offense be another 2 headed monster..?

My opinion coach Gibbs will not play that style ball. Like Parcells & Shula, Gibbs' track record shows that he will stick with the best guy no matter what, barring injury of course.

Last edited by ChounsMan; 02-25-2004 at 11:37 AM.
ChounsMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

I have no doubt that Gibbs will play whoever he feels is the best guy for the job regardless of salaries. Gibbs is here to win, not to satisfy egos.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
skins009
Impact Rookie

My guess is Brunnel will start next year, with Ramsey taking over after that. It might be good from the standpoint that Ramsey gets to watch and learn for another year. But I would rather have him on the field learning. I still think this whoe Brunnel thing is a big mistake simply because of the money we gave him Dan Synder again should his VERY bad habit of overpaying for players. This stragety is gonna lead to salary cap hell in about 3 years.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
BrunellFan
Special Teams

It will be a training camp battle for sure, I just hope Ramsey doesnt become too much of a baby about this. I think the league recognizing him for his toughness and poise is actually a bad thing now, because he's firmly convinced that its his team and that Gibbs is an idiot for taking it away from him. Hopefully Ramsey can show more maturity in this situation.
BrunellFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Gibbs knows that Ramsey is the QB of the future, and has the potential to be a big star in the league, but for this year, he will play the one who earns the job. I'm pulling for Ramsey, but if the competition is close, I can see him giving it to Brunell due to his experience, NOT his contract.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Talking

Give me 1 team that doesn't go through salary cap hell every 3 years..? Winning unfortunately costs.

I'm happier knowing that I have an owner that wants to win & has the money to spend, rather then an owner who cares only to keep his financial gain between he & his shareholders.

Bottomline:
Danny Boy has proven he wants to win.
He just needs a guy like Gibbs to teach him how
Old 02-25-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

Funny how we've been talking about the team going into "cap hell" for the last 5 years since Danny took over and it's still yet to happen. I look around the league and see several other teams in much worse shape cap wise.

If Danny knows anything it's how to run a business. He's not going to run the team into the ground.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Most teams that go through Salary Cap hell spend frivilously! Whoops, that's us with two good QBs.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Yeah I agree with Matty. Were actually in fairly decent shape for this offseason, we always seem to find a way to be in good shape ( thusfar ) even with the Big names we pick up somtimes. If Danny can keep us out of cap hell in about 3 years, then i'll really give him his due
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Brunell can only help Ramsey. So in that sense Brunell is worth having in order to make the future (Ramsey) better. I serously doubt Ramsey is going in camp thinking that he is the number 2 qb. Without Burnell Ramsey just coasts along training camp. We will see what Patrick Ramsey is made of come August. And besides what are the chances Brunell will stay injury free? Slim to none, and slim just left.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:21 PM   #11
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Ramsey's Still The Man

My question with the whole trade for Brunell is that he said all along he was only going to a team that was committed to him being the starter. If we believe what coach Gibbs is saying than that's far from decided. I hope they didn't double talk him because we definitely don't need two pissed off quarterbacks in training camp...Personally, I'd rather get an older guy that can win in relief without being as much of a threat to Ramsey's confidence (Maybe coax Chris Chandler out of retirement?) Brunell still has 2-3 years left, does anyone actually believe Ramsey can wait that long to play after taking over last year?
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #12
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Chounsman:

The team that has won been to the NFC Championship game three straight years has been and remains under the salary cap. (Eagles)

The team that has won two of the last three Super Bowls does not have salary cap hell; they solved their problem by cutting ONE player who would not restructure his contract. (Patriots)

You asked for one team but I gave you two because you asked so politely...

These teams have been deep in the playoffs for 3 years and I kind of think that is what "winning" is about. So tell me again how all the winners have to face salary cap hell while the Redskins neither win nor have to face it?

At the beginning of last season Snyder and Cerrato said at the luncheon that welcomes the Skins to town at the end of training camp that they had this all figured out and that they could "keep this team together for 3 years with or without a salary cap". I was there when Snyder said it and Cerrato "resembled that remark". Forget that you would not have wanted to keep that sorry roster together for three years. They could not have done it if they had wanted to without tossing in a couple of 2-14 seasons!
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Snyder's isn't learning...

Curmudgeon:

3 years ago I would have said Snyder was still learning, hell 2 years ago I would have said that. But now, I'm starting to think he will never get it. I'm very happy to have an owner that is willing to go out and pay for players and coaches who he feels can win but his fantasy football playing is making us look ridiculous year in and year out. Maybe the best thing for Snyder to do, since he obviously cares about the Redskins, is find another owner and sell the team...
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #14
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

I believe Joe will give both QB's a chance in camp to prove who the starter should be (I think Brunnell will get it for now just because he is a proven veteran). But no QB goes through the season without some injuries and Patrick will get his chance.
As for slamming Snyder again, from what I've seen Jack Kent Cooke spent the money to bring in anyone Gibbs said they needed, only there was no salary cap then. I know Snyder only wants to win, he wants a SuperBowl as much as we do. I don't think there's another owner or potential owner out there who trys harder than him to get that.
azskinsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
itvnetop
Playmaker

ramsey is going to see significant playing time this season- either as a starter or when Brunell goes down.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote