Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN's Mortenson: Williams No Longer a Candidate

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #46
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: ESPN's Mortenson: Williams No Longer a Candidate

Right now it's no longer a band aid. Its duck tape.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #47
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace View Post
JLC just updated the title to his blog..."Expect Williams to Withdraw Saturday"

I wish that were followed by "Expect Snyder to give up ownership"

...If this is true or not...I've never been more embarrassed to be a fan...I wish 2007 never happened for the skins
I wonder if we as fans can sue a team owner for mis-management and embarrassing a franchise and city?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #48
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Right now it's no longer a band aid. Its duck tape.
Does that mean we're gonna lose hair and flesh?

This is gonna be painful.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #49
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace
Impact Rookie

I see this being bad as far as players restructuring
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #50
The Gremlin

Quote:
Sorry so long.
No worries, that was a great post. I would of loved to see Gregg Williams/Al Saunders get a shot to continue the late season push. I have to say this post was well thought out and was a great read. HTTR.
The Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #51
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace View Post
I see this being bad as far as players restructuring
That's an excellent point. Most players, especially key players, felt loyal to the Redskins during Gibbs tenure. I'm sure that made it much easier for the FO to convince them to restructure. We're $23M over the cap as is, and now we're blowing up the whole staff and starting over. Some players are bound to be disappointed with the organization.

This is a bummer. Not because I don't think Fassel/Meeks/Spagnuolo will eventually have success here. I think all 3 are very capable. But the team is headed for some changes roster-wise, and I really like so many of our players. It's gonna suck to see guys go.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #52
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: huhh??? now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
Ok. So let me ask you this. If the report is true, do you think Snyder would use Williams' differing philosophy and spin it, I guess, in his mind as an affront to Gibbs? Thereby making it easier for him to justify his decision not to hire Williams, so as to avoid what he perceives as inevitable personality conflicts with him and Cerrato?

If people believe that Williams was basically dissing Gibbs, most fans would become somewhat sympathetic to Snyder and be much more accepting of his decision to hire another coach.
Snyder no. But there are others in Redskins Park that I no doubt would try to spin it. There are some petty people there, but it's not the people everyone thinks.

Thing is, Williams and Gibbs are definitely different. Never was it more apparent than during the Archuleta incident. Wasn't it Arch who was saying Williams never spoke to him, while Gibbs tried encouraging him?

But this isn't, shouldn't be, a total surprise. We've all know this for the last four years.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #53
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That's an excellent point. Most players, especially key players, felt loyal to the Redskins during Gibbs tenure. I'm sure that made it much easier for the FO to convince them to restructure. We're $23M over the cap as is, and now we're blowing up the whole staff and starting over. Some players are bound to be disappointed with the organization.

This is a bummer. Not because I don't think Fassel/Meeks/Spagnuolo will eventually have success here. I think all 3 are very capable. But the team is headed for some changes roster-wise, and I really like so many of our players. It's gonna suck to see guys go.
I wonder who, other than Springs, could be going that we really, truly are going to miss?

I'm gonna miss Springs, but as soon as Gibbs left I had a feeling he wasn't coming back.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

We keep hearing about all these players that did not want change. Keep the status quo. I have been wondering how many players that actually was. The same 3 or 4 that work out every day at the park. lol. I wonder how many kept thinking...man we are not picking up this offense or certain individuals were not getting it and players internally were thinking....somethings gotta give we are not getting it done.

Similar to the fans. Some were mad at the offense because it seemed to sputter or die after half time or it simply couldn't score. Other fans were upset at the defense because it fizzled out in the 4th quarter all the time. Some wanted JC some wanted TC at QB. Some wished Gibbs would retire again. You have to be honest. There were problems across the board and a little blame should go everywhere. The owner is tired of all the excuses and has decided to rebuild. I love Gibbs. I remember Gibbs1. The only thing I hated about Gibbs1 was all his games he played close. If we played a team that was mediocre we played at their level. If we played a team destined for the playoffs we played at their level. I knew Gibb2 would be exciting which we have not had in a long time. Especially with Spurrier. I'm ready for the Skins to blow people out of the water like the Patriots. I'm tired of being middle of the pack, almost there, squeak into the playoffs. I want to be what Dallas was this year. I want to dominate or be one of the dominating teams. I'll be honest....I don't think we were as close as a lot of us really think we were. If there are major changes to be made then lets make them, notify the fan base and lets move on. All this crap has us at each others throats calling each other names about info that may or may not be true. Well maybe not calling each other names but clearly being rude to each other. I hope Sat when they make the press release if they are they decide to announce the HC also so we can get over our grieving. lol. Then we can start talking about how this team might look and bad mouth each other about who they think should be drafted. lol.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #55
The Gremlin

Quote:
We keep hearing about all these players that did not want change. Keep the status quo. I have been wondering how many players that actually was. The same 3 or 4 that work out every day at the park. lol. I wonder how many kept thinking...man we are not picking up this offense or certain individuals were not getting it and players internally were thinking....somethings gotta give we are not getting it done.

Similar to the fans. Some were mad at the offense because it seemed to sputter or die after half time or it simply couldn't score. Other fans were upset at the defense because it fizzled out in the 4th quarter all the time. Some wanted JC some wanted TC at QB. Some wished Gibbs would retire again. You have to be honest. There were problems across the board and a little blame should go everywhere. The owner is tired of all the excuses and has decided to rebuild. I love Gibbs. I remember Gibbs1. The only thing I hated about Gibbs1 was all his games he played close. If we played a team that was mediocre we played at their level. If we played a team destined for the playoffs we played at their level. I knew Gibb2 would be exciting which we have not had in a long time. Especially with Spurrier. I'm ready for the Skins to blow people out of the water like the Patriots. I'm tired of being middle of the pack, almost there, squeak into the playoffs. I want to be what Dallas was this year. I want to dominate or be one of the dominating teams. I'll be honest....I don't think we were as close as a lot of us really think we were. If there are major changes to be made then lets make them, notify the fan base and lets move on. All this crap has us at each others throats calling each other names about info that may or may not be true. Well maybe not calling each other names but clearly being rude to each other. I hope Sat when they make the press release if they are they decide to announce the HC also so we can get over our grieving. lol. Then we can start talking about how this team might look and bad mouth each other about who they think should be drafted. lol.
Another Great Post. I think the Skins were close and I wanted to see Saunders offense without Gibbs next season. I also would of loved to see Gregg take over the head coaching reigns. I thought with a couple moves that the Skins could of been contenders in the NFC next season. This can still happen but im really nervous to see the future of this team now that there is no more Gibbs and alot more of Snyder/Cerrato in the front office. Only time will tell but I got to say after only reading 2 of your posts I love the energy you bring to your posts and how you really want a winner in the Nations Capital. HTTR.
The Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #56
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wonder who, other than Springs, could be going that we really, truly are going to miss?

I'm gonna miss Springs, but as soon as Gibbs left I had a feeling he wasn't coming back.
It was an emotional season for players and fans alike. I was only 13 when we won our last Super Bowl. So for me personally, I can't remember liking a Redskins team more than this one. Seeing any real contributors to this year's squad leave is gonna be a bummer IMO. As far as players leaving that we'll really miss on the field, I suppose that Springs is the only heavy loss, especially with the way he played down the stretch.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #57
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Another thought on the smear campaign. Last we heard Gibbs had flown down to NC to be with his family and was working with his racing team again. Did DS call Gibbs back just to tell the staff that it could take weeks before they hear something? and then the next day DS plan hits the media? I guess I'm missing something here...why say anything and simply allow the info to come out today. Why make Gibbs look like a fool sending him to tell the staff it might be a few more weeks when it was only a day? Why not have him say hey guys we will all know in a day or two. Is the plan also to make Gibbs look senile so the fans will say " oh, ok, yea I guess it was a good idea to rebuild the whole head coaching staff because Gibbs must be senile and GW was talking trash about a good coach and DS would have none of that."
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #58
wilsowilso

I'm surprised anybody is surprised. Williams was not getting the job.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #59
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Another thought on the smear campaign. Last we heard Gibbs had flown down to NC to be with his family and was working with his racing team again. Did DS call Gibbs back just to tell the staff that it could take weeks before they hear something? and then the next day DS plan hits the media? I guess I'm missing something here...why say anything and simply allow the info to come out today. Why make Gibbs look like a fool sending him to tell the staff it might be a few more weeks when it was only a day? Why not have him say hey guys we will all know in a day or two. Is the plan also to make Gibbs look senile so the fans will say " oh, ok, yea I guess it was a good idea to rebuild the whole head coaching staff because Gibbs must be senile and GW was talking trash about a good coach and DS would have none of that."
I thought the smear campaign theory came from someone close to GW and involved the Skins smearing him, not Gibbs.

I highly doubt Snyder would try to smear Gibbs in any way. I also doubt Williams said anything negative about him as a person. But we all know Williams was frustrated at times this season with Saunders and the offense. He may have commented that he didn't like the way Gibbs handcuffed Al at times. Who knows...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #60
skinsfan0201
Special Teams

SMEAR Campaign = Vinny Cerrato

Don't trust him, never have

Gregg don't withdraw!!!!!

Keep the fight Redskins fans
skinsfan0201 is offline   Reply With Quote