Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giants Postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who gets your game ball for the Redskins 20-13 win over the Giants?
Peterson 17 38.64%
Swearinger 16 36.36%
Ioannidis 8 18.18%
Kerrigan 1 2.27%
other 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #91
HTTR
Special Teams

Re: Giants Postgame

It’s a cliche, but this team is learning how to win. And they’re developing an identity courtesy of DJS and the Bama Bruisers.

It’s an interesting discussion about why Smith isn’t clicking more with his pass catchers, especially on play action. But if he can manage clock-eating drives with lots of 2nd and shorts, it’s kind of academic. I think he and Gruden will come up with more quick hitters to get some rhythm going. In the meantime, ugly is beautiful.

Hail!

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2018, 01:40 AM   #92
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
We notice when Alex doesn’t put up passing numbers but we underrate just how valuable it is to take care of the ball. Alex is a good complementary piece to the way we’re built : we run the ball and we stop the run.

Has there ever been another formula that has won in DC?

Take care of the ball first and let your defense win. Nothing wrong with this at all.
Passing for under 200 yards per game and literally getting no big plays out of your QB will not be a winning formula . Smith is basically being carried by the rest of the team. We won't beat any elite teams or contend for a SB with this kind of QB play.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 AM   #93
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
We notice when Alex doesn’t put up passing numbers but we underrate just how valuable it is to take care of the ball. Alex is a good complementary piece to the way we’re built : we run the ball and we stop the run.

Take care of the ball first and let your defense win. Nothing wrong with this at all.
This.

I'm not sure I understand the complaints: isn't building a football team from the trenches, having a very good D, running the ball, and not turning it over THE recipe to going deep into the playoffs?

Did you guys thought we would turn into the Saints or the Patriots overnight ? Well guess what, Alex Smith is neither Brees nor Brady, and Jay sure isn't Belichick !

I know this team doesn't look like a late January team, BUT I love the way they are winning ugly and:

-A part from Houston, none of our remaining opponents have a winning record (and I thought the winning record was the only way to judge a team when some of you were calling for Jay's head ?)

-Alex is not playing well right now, but early in the game, the short passing game was clicking, I've been thinking for a few weeks now that Jay should call more of that. This is a lot of what Andy Reid was doing with Alex in KC, (last season deep ball frenzy was a fluke, and we have nobody near Tyreek Hill on our roster). Alex Smith won't turn into something he's not, but if you can develop a short and somewhat "tricky" passing game, we'll have ourselves a very decent offense.

-Do you think Blake Bortles is better than Alex Smith? Look at what the Jags did last year.

-We're 5 and 2 for F's sake, why are we arguing ?

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 10-29-2018 at 07:11 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #94
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
This.

I'm not sure I understand the complaints: isn't building a football team from the trenches, having a very good D, running the ball, and not turning it over THE recipe to going deep into the playoffs?

Did you guys thought we would turn into the Saints or the Patriots overnight ? Well guess what, Alex Smith is neither Brees nor Brady, and Jay sure isn't Belichick !

I know this team doesn't look like a late January team, BUT I love the way they are winning ugly and:

-A part from Houston, none of our remaining opponents have a winning record (and I thought the winning record was the only way to judge a team when some of you were calling for Jay's head ?)

-Alex is not playing well right now, but early in the game, the short passing game was clicking, I've been thinking for a few weeks now that Jay should call more of that. This is a lot of what Andy Reid was doing with Alex in KC, (last season deep ball frenzy was a fluke, and we have nobody near Tyreek Hill on our roster). Alex Smith won't turn into something he's not, but if you can develop a short and somewhat "tricky" passing game, we'll have ourselves a very decent offense.

-Do you think Blake Bortles is better than Alex Smith? Look at what the Jags did last year.

-We're 5 and 2 for F's sake, why are we arguing ?
I have called for running the ball for a long time because it’s the primary reason why teams win and go far in the playoffs...I love it. It’s redskins football.

The issue is Alex Smith the last several years has been a very good qb...and Jay Gruden offense in the last couple year is known for have a good passing scheme. So to watch the qb play this year has been disappointing. Especially when I heard Alex is the best deep ball passer and was great in the red zone. He has time to throw the ball, protection isn’t an issue. It would be nice to have a middle and deep range passing attack...we have opportunities bc defense are creeping and going single high safety against us.

I want to see steps...I think Jay needs to look at the play action game...execution and scheme. RPO execution, can we get better opportunities? Maybe add a burner WR to help open up the down field opportunities.

I’m offering solutions...to say, “this is the Alex we envisioned” is simply dishonest.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #95
rickmmrr
Special Teams

3 wins in a row. that is huge. WOW.

We had a good offense the last 3 years but it didn't matter because our defense sucked and we lost.

We now have a good defense, but now our offense sucks. But guess what, we are winning. So with just using a little bit of logic, we might be able to surmise that when you build a winning team, first concentrate on your defense, make that great, and then concentrate on your offense.

Our offense can only get better, so can I dare say, "we are moving in a positive direction".
rickmmrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #96
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Soloman wilcots said it best this morning "Alex Smith is a winner period"

5-2

2-0 vs the NFCE as a Redskins starter. 0 Turnovers

I'll take it
Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #97
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Exactly. A team can win a lot of games playing that style.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #98
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmmrr View Post
3 wins in a row. that is huge. WOW.

We had a good offense the last 3 years but it didn't matter because our defense sucked and we lost.

We now have a good defense, but now our offense sucks. But guess what, we are winning. So with just using a little bit of logic, we might be able to surmise that when you build a winning team, first concentrate on your defense, make that great, and then concentrate on your offense.

Our offense can only get better, so can I dare say, "we are moving in a positive direction".
Minor gripe, the passing game may stink, but the running game is a beast.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #99
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I say we go get Djax back
Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #100
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Damn right! He can stretch the field and make our offense better.

p.s. We could then move Paul Richardson to the slot where he could do a lot of damage.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #101
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Guess who leads the NFL in interceptions? Why, it's our own DJS with 4.

Just how good is our young D-Line? Here's an indicator:

Matty Ice - 5.5 Sacks
Jonathan Allen - 4.0 Sacks
Da'Ron Payne - 3.0 Sacks

And we haven't even played half the schedule yet!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #102
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Guess who leads the NFL in interceptions? Why, it's our own DJS with 4.

Just how good is our young D-Line? Here's an indicator:

Matty Ice - 5.5 Sacks
Jonathan Allen - 4.0 Sacks
Da'Ron Payne - 3.0 Sacks

And we haven't even played half the schedule yet!
Flossin Matty I is the best Matty I.

Tomsula has been great for our defense.

The way things are lining up when its comes to paying a nucleus...Im letting Preston and Crowder walk this offseason...Im looking at Schreff and Matty I extensions.

I think gonna ask Norman and the Reed to redo there contracts...go with something more team friendly even if we can do an extension of sorts.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #103
Kope
Special Teams

Loved the game, love this team. Was great to see Doctson have his best game as a skin. I have faith in Smith, he will get going.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #104
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I like Djax but I do not know how it will go with PRich. Plus Djax does not block and if we add him, that will make 2 1/ 2 piss poor blockers. Reed, Djax, and Davis.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #105
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Flossin Matty I is the best Matty I.

Tomsula has been great for our defense.

The way things are lining up when its comes to paying a nucleus...Im letting Preston and Crowder walk this offseason...Im looking at Schreff and Matty I extensions.

I think gonna ask Norman and the Reed to redo there contracts...go with something more team friendly even if we can do an extension of sorts.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-come-fruition

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote