Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #61
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

What is the point to be so angry and mad about Alex? He is injured, he won't be playing this year, and likely not ever again (at least here).

If I spent so much time angry at past stuff this team or its players did that I did not like, my head would explode.

Let it go and move on. We even got a potential young franchise QB out of it.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #62
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I thought the QB's job was to win games, something Smith has done quite a bit of (96-71-1).
Why does he have a winning record? It's not because of him. It's because of the teams he played on and you know it. If he was so good why did he get released by both San Fran and KC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
What is the point to be so angry and mad about Alex? He is injured, he won't be playing this year, and likely not ever again (at least here).

If I spent so much time angry at past stuff this team or its players did that I did not like, my head would explode.

Let it go and move on. We even got a potential young franchise QB out of it.
I'm not angry with check down Alex. I'm angry with the people who brought him here. I knew he was pure garbage from the very beginning. I'm very happy that he'll never play for us again.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #63
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Why does he have a winning record? It's not because of him. It's because of the teams he played on and you know it. If he was so good why did he get released by both San Fran and KC?

I'm not angry with check down Alex. I'm angry with the people who brought him here. I knew he was pure garbage from the very beginning. I'm very happy that he'll never play for us again.
Alex lost his job because of a concussion in SF, Coach Harbaugh saw Kaepernick as having more upside and stayed with him. Maybe you didn't notice, but the guy who took his job ended up being benched for Blaine Gabbert. He was figured out as fool's gold just like RG3.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #64
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Alex lost his job because of a concussion in SF, Coach Harbaugh saw Kaepernick as having more upside and stayed with him. Maybe you didn't notice, but the guy who took his job ended up being benched for Blaine Gabbert. He was figured out as fool's gold just like RG3.
Check down Alex lost his job because he wasn't all that good. Colin "Strictly Zone Read" Kaepernick took his job become of performance. If Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers got hit with a concussion today or tomorrow they would still be welcomed back with open arms. Check down Alex was let go. KC released him after a career year. The very next year Patrick MaHomes showed the world that the KC offense is three times as good without check down Alex. Just face it! We spent tens of millions of dollars for an average at best qb.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 AM   #65
Warthog
The Starter

I seriously doubt if Alex Smith will ever play another game in the NFL. This year he recovers and coaches up Dwayne Haskins. Next season Dwayne will be the starter one way or another, which means Alex - if he fully recovers will be the backup or third string QB. There is little incentive for Alex to further risk his health playing in the NFL - he gets paid regardless. Thank you Bruce, for this ridiculous contract for a QB who was 35.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #66
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I seriously doubt if Alex Smith will ever play another game in the NFL. This year he recovers and coaches up Dwayne Haskins. Next season Dwayne will be the starter one way or another, which means Alex - if he fully recovers will be the backup or third string QB. There is little incentive for Alex to further risk his health playing in the NFL - he gets paid regardless. Thank you Bruce, for this ridiculous contract for a QB who was 35.
You hit the nail on the head. To me, it was never about Alex but it was always about the shocking huge contract the Skins offered him just when we were about to benefit from the huge cap relief gained by Cousins leaving.

We needed a veteran QB as a stopgap until we could draft and develop a promising young QB to take over the reins but that stopgap QB didn't need to be Alex Smith and the contract with whomever we signed should have been reasonable.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 AM   #67
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
You hit the nail on the head. To me, it was never about Alex but it was always about the shocking huge contract the Skins offered him just when we were about to benefit from the huge cap relief gained by Cousins leaving.

We needed a veteran QB as a stopgap until we could draft and develop a promising young QB to take over the reins but that stopgap QB didn't need to be Alex Smith and the contract with whomever we signed should have been reasonable.
And there are QBs older than Smith in the league who are starters....namely Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.....so I would think Alex's age is insignificant.....
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #68
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
And there are QBs older than Smith in the league who are starters....namely Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.....so I would think Alex's age is insignificant.....
And QBs are always going to be overpaid, hence why an above average QB like Cousins, who puts up gaudy but sometimes insignificant numbers, gets a fully guaranteed contract.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #69
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I think the guys complaining about Alex's contract haven't kept up on the escalating QB salaries. His contract was not excessive for even someone who was average and Alex is above average.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #70
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I think the guys complaining about Alex's contract haven't kept up on the escalating QB salaries. His contract was not excessive for even someone who was average and Alex is above average.
I think ppl are upset because Alex should have been a stopgap contract until we drafted a franchise QB. Now we have Haskins as that potential franchise QB and we'll have Alex Smith as the most highly paid backup QB in the NFL.

We paid Alex so much because Bruce Allen panicked after mismanaging the Cousins deal. He had no backup plan to Cousins if he went elsewhere. So he looked at Smith's record and hired him based on those wins - which were because he played for very good teams. Even if Alex had stayed healthy last year, teams were getting the measure of him and we wouldn't have won many more games after a good start.

Flyboy.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Smith probably wouldn't have agreed to a "stopgap contract". Nobody could have predicted he would suffer a catastrophic injury. It sucks for both sides. No use in crying about it now.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #72
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

On a positive note, he got to take that contraption off of his leg. Big step. Keep getting better dude.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #73
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Smith probably wouldn't have agreed to a "stopgap contract". Nobody could have predicted he would suffer a catastrophic injury. It sucks for both sides. No use in crying about it now.
Alex hasn't been an injury-prone QB. He may have not agreed to a 1-2 year deal, why should he? But Bruce signed a 35-year old QB for a 5-year contract, based on his wins, which he got by playing a "no mistakes" brand of football for very good teams.

Allen should have sucked it up with a one-year QB until we could draft for a franchise QB. I'm not blaming Alex smith, he got the most that he could and unfortunately got hurt. I'm blaming Bruce Allen for making a dumb personnel move that will cost the 'skins lots of cap money.

Flyboy.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #74
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Alex hasn't been an injury-prone QB. He may have not agreed to a 1-2 year deal, why should he? But Bruce signed a 35-year old QB for a 5-year contract, based on his wins, which he got by playing a "no mistakes" brand of football for very good teams.

Allen should have sucked it up with a one-year QB until we could draft for a franchise QB. I'm not blaming Alex smith, he got the most that he could and unfortunately got hurt. I'm blaming Bruce Allen for making a dumb personnel move that will cost the 'skins lots of cap money.
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #75
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Unless you have the foresight of knowing that he was going to have a season/potentially career ending injury, I don't get about the complaints about Smith's contract. People would have gone ape shit here, if they'd sign Keenum last year as a stop gap. QBs are always overpaid, and even a stopgap QB would have cost money.

Also, the team was winning with Alex's "no mistakes" brand of football. Not the way people liked it, but they were winning. And things would have been a hell of a lot better, had Alex stayed healthy.
The Redskins were winning with Smith in very close games last year - games which could have gone either way based on just one or two plays. I think our opponents were starting get the measure of Smith - what he could do well and also what he could NOT do and were changing their defenses based on his style of play. The defenses were really starting to shut him down. IF he had stayed healthy last season, I don't think we would have won many more games.

Alex Smith's style of play can help a very good team win games. But those very good teams let him go because his upside is so very limited. If he was a real franchise QB, his former teams wouldn't have dumped him. Bruce Allen mismanaged Kirk Cousins (who we should have let go) and then paid a top salary on a long contract to an aging QB who is decent but not the future QB of this team.

If smith hadn't been hurt, which no one could predict, I think we would have seen why other teams dumped him. He's going to be a cap black hole and will never play a regular-season game for the Redskins.

Flyboy.